Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I'm just getting back into mountain biking, and I was planning on tuning up my bike. Back in the day, I used to use this thick white grease to lube my brake and shifter cables. I can't seem to find it anywhere. It was a dirt magnet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was now considered obsolete.

What do people use now? Is it okay to use dry lube chain lube on cables?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Personally....

I don't lube cables at all. I haven't found a lube yet that wasn't a dirt magnet. But if I were to lube cables I'd use something light and thin like Triflow.

Good Dirt

·
I need a new name
912 Posts
I agree that TriFlow is an excellent cable lube. The only sections that need it are the parts in housing. Sometimes I'll litely go over exposed cables with steel wool to polish them up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If my cables are so rough I need to use a all-out lubricant it is time to replace them. That said, on winter bikes or bikes that are expected to see only/mostly nasty conditions I will rub a little grease (typically park polylube1000) onto the cable sections that go inside the housings... Otherwise my cables are dry (or very lightly oiled) or wiped with Pedro's BIke Lust (which has worked great for me, so far).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Start with new, clean, dry stainless slick cables and new lined properly trimmed housings with good quality ferrules of the appropriate style. Ride 'til they suck. Lube with any light cycle-specific wet lube and ride until you can't take the crunchy feeling anymore. Repeat.

or

Ride a single-speed with hydraulic brakes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.