Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know this is a little picky....BUT does anybody know of a brand/company that sells a 16 tooth freewheel that is silent? The freewheel on my 1 x 1 is loud and bugs the crap out of me when I'm coasting. Thanks much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I used a 16t shimano on my commuter for a while and it's much quieter than ACS and WI freewheels. Not completely silent, but I don't know of any freewheel that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
shimano

Shimano makes a free hub that is restricted for law enforcement use only. You may be able to get one if you have the right sources. They are called Shimano Nexave Silent Clutch hubs...It is not a freewheel, but it is silent, and very hard to get for civilians.

I like silence in the woods so I simply pedal most of the time to silence the freewheel.
Why is a silent freewheel important to you? Just curious.
 

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
Joined
·
2,419 Posts
i prefer noisy hubs because its slightly more of an alert to pedestrians that you are comming. Its a bit of an issue out here in SoCal. If you want, just take your freewheel apart and slap some grease in there (not too much). It will be pretty damn quiet after that. Just make sure that the paws still engage.
 

·
velocipede technician
Joined
·
8,877 Posts
unit said:
Shimano makes a free hub that is restricted for law enforcement use only. You may be able to get one if you have the right sources. They are called Shimano Nexave Silent Clutch hubs...It is not a freewheel, but it is silent, and very hard to get for civilians.

I like silence in the woods so I simply pedal most of the time to silence the freewheel.
Why is a silent freewheel important to you? Just curious.
:confused: silent clutch hubs are restricted to law enforcement use only?since when?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
I dunno

hollister said:
:confused: silent clutch hubs are restricted to law enforcement use only?since when?
That particular hub (Nexave) was claimed by an article in Bicycling a few months back to be restricted for law enforcement use only. I talked to a Cop friend and he said that there is some special contract with shimano and for some reason they dont want civilians to have them. Sounds dumb to me, its not like its a machine gun or something, but I have yet to see anyone offering them for sale to the public.

If I am wrong and they are available somewhere, let me know. They are pretty neat!
 

·
Am I getting too bulky?
Joined
·
800 Posts
hollister said:
:confused: silent clutch hubs are restricted to law enforcement use only?since when?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sturmey-Archer has been selling them to the general public for a long long long long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
You didn't hear it from me but if you inject a light grease in the port hole the Clawsones or heavy oil works in Shimano.they get pretty quiet. If you live where you have cold weather you risk the pawls not engaging which can be dangerous as hell. I live and ride where it is hot and wet so the grease does very good by me.
 

·
French for "Suck"
Joined
·
140 Posts
unit said:
That particular hub (Nexave) was claimed by an article in Bicycling a few months back to be restricted for law enforcement use only. I talked to a Cop friend and he said that there is some special contract with shimano and for some reason they dont want civilians to have them. Sounds dumb to me, its not like its a machine gun or something, but I have yet to see anyone offering them for sale to the public.
Can you imagine what would happen if they were legal? Bicycle riding hooligans would rule the streets, given new courage in the knowledge that they can finally coast away silently.
 

·
Alles komt goed!
Joined
·
82 Posts
the "special" freewheel

I think, in that shimano freewheel there is something like this:



You can also have a look at this website rowingbike

I think they have that silent freewheel with the rollers in it (but it is expensive...)
 

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
Joined
·
624 Posts
I silenced a freewheel once by disassembling it and reassembling with a light grease or heavier oil than it came with. very quiet. acts like a damper for pawls clicking into place I suppose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
I asked my bike shop about the silent freewheels. They had several police bikes there waiting for pickup. They said the Police bikes are the only ones that come stock with the hub, but that they can get it for anyone who wants one. He said it was a bit pricey but didn't give me a number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I don't think these are exclusive to cops.

Shimano introduced the Silent Clutch about ten years ago. It works in sort of the opposite way as their roller brake. A bunch of rollers "coast" inside the freewheel until pedalling forces push them up little ramps and the "wedge" between an extension from the hub body and the cassette body. It is silent and offers pretty quick engagement. Problem is the material of a freehub body is pretty thin and the system generates a lot of force radially outward on that freehub body (pawls don't) and the freehub bodies crack pretty frequently.

I believe Shimano originally offered a Silent Clutch freehub option on the STX group (entry level mtb) but it never went any further up the line than that. I think they still offer it in one of their hybrid/commuter groups but I would never put one on a bike I really cranked on. I wouldn't trust it.

It might be good for creeping up on the doughnut shop but not for MTB'ing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I feel special now. I think I have one of those "special, super secret, for cops only, us gov't, Area51" shimano dx style hubs on my commuter roadie. Its silent as a mouse. Nice to only hear the hum of the tires!

Mine is the Shimano SF-1200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
dannybob said:
Shimano introduced the Silent Clutch about ten years ago. It works in sort of the opposite way as their roller brake. A bunch of rollers "coast" inside the freewheel until pedalling forces push them up little ramps and the "wedge" between an extension from the hub body and the cassette body. It is silent and offers pretty quick engagement. Problem is the material of a freehub body is pretty thin and the system generates a lot of force radially outward on that freehub body (pawls don't) and the freehub bodies crack pretty frequently.

I believe Shimano originally offered a Silent Clutch freehub option on the STX group (entry level mtb) but it never went any further up the line than that. I think they still offer it in one of their hybrid/commuter groups but I would never put one on a bike I really cranked on. I wouldn't trust it.

It might be good for creeping up on the doughnut shop but not for MTB'ing.
I have one of those STX Silent Clutch hubs on my commuter. It's an old cop bike. Soooper stealthy. :p :rolleyes: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Why hasn't someone mentioned a fixed cog yet. There is no pawls or engagement mechanisms so it is absolutely silent. With my fixies I get annoyed when the chain gets a little dirty and starts making a noise as it engages the cog teeth.

Craig
 

·
Wheel building addict.
Joined
·
42 Posts
I've seen the Shimano LX silent clutch's sold at Webcyclery in the past. Some trials riders use them when they can't afford the King's. The engagement's better than Shimano's regular hubs. My Deore hubs have been silent since I got them, and used them in a SS conversion with vertical drops. Maybe my "magic" ration wasn't so special, and wrecked the mechanism?

As for fixed setup, when you get used to it, it's so quiet, you'll hate freewheels when you're on a "Ride of Silence," and the engagement's so good that King's, Hadley's, and Industry 9's feel sloppy. But, then again, fixed ain't for everyone, and doesn't fit all intended purposes.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top