Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got a new (but stored in a garage for the last couple of years) Silca pump. It works well, but I find that I need to apply a lot of force to the handle to bring the tire up to pressure. For my road bike to come up to 120psi I put most of my 230lb onto the pump handle.

Is this normal?

I have removed the handle and inspected the internals. Everything looks as new and well lubed. I checked the 1-way valve and it was clean and dry as the instructions indicated it should be.

Any ideas?
 

·
rbtm member
Joined
·
888 Posts
dscot420 said:
Last week I got a new (but stored in a garage for the last couple of years) Silca pump. It works well, but I find that I need to apply a lot of force to the handle to bring the tire up to pressure. For my road bike to come up to 120psi I put most of my 230lb onto the pump handle.

Is this normal?

I have removed the handle and inspected the internals. Everything looks as new and well lubed. I checked the 1-way valve and it was clean and dry as the instructions indicated it should be.

Any ideas?
That doesn't sound unreasonable. It's easy to compute the force required for a given psi. For example, if the pump tube is 1 inch in diameter (.79 square inches), you'll need to apply 95 lbs to reach 120psi (120*0.79). The larger the diameter tube, the more force required.
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang, you had to pull out the fundamental P=F/A on me didn't you. Works out like that on paper. Just curious what others experience is with these pumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
dscot420 said:
Last week I got a new (but stored in a garage for the last couple of years) Silca pump. It works well, but I find that I need to apply a lot of force to the handle to bring the tire up to pressure. For my road bike to come up to 120psi I put most of my 230lb onto the pump handle.

Is this normal?

I have removed the handle and inspected the internals. Everything looks as new and well lubed. I checked the 1-way valve and it was clean and dry as the instructions indicated it should be.

Any ideas?
Silca pumps suck. The most I was able to get was 90 psi. If the valve on your tube sticks open, the other end blows out of the pump, as it has no check valve in the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
have never had a problem getting my road tyres up to 120 psi with a silca. I apply a smear of grease to the seal once a year and this always makes a noticeable difference. Even if looks well greased it is worth giving this a try as you have nothing to lose.

Wombat
 

·
Throbbing Member
Joined
·
86 Posts
MikeDee said:
Silca pumps suck. The most I was able to get was 90 psi. If the valve on your tube sticks open, the other end blows out of the pump, as it has no check valve in the pump.
I've never had any trouble going to 120psi on roadie tires with my Silca. Silca pumps are pure and simple with no cheepo plastic bits. I've almost never heard of any complaints with Silca. So what have you found that is better?

So how easy is to to pump up to say 40psi on the Mtb tires? With any floor pump you will have to start working when going past 110psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Trogdor! said:
Silca pumps are pure and simple with no cheepo plastic bits. I've almost never heard of any complaints with Silca. So what have you found that is better?

So how easy is to to pump up to say 40psi on the Mtb tires? With any floor pump you will have to start working when going past 110psi.
I think the OP was talking about the Silca Impero road pump. In fact, this whole pump is made of thin gage plastic tubing. I'm not sure which Silca pumps you are referring to.
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MikeDee said:
I think the OP was talking about the Silca Impero road pump. In fact, this whole pump is made of thin gage plastic tubing. I'm not sure which Silca pumps you are referring to.
Nope, the OP was talking about a silca pista floor pump. Guess I should have been a bit more specific. I just assumed those who own these pumps would know where I was going when I mentioned the handle removal 1-way valve.

I did spread additional lube on the wiper prior to reassembling it.

I guess I got spoiled by the Blackburn TP-5 that the local shop has. Sweet pump for road tires. Superblo has them for $65. But $20 for the silca was too good of a deal to pass up considering it's new condition. So far it is the only pump that comes close to the TP-5, just isn't as easy to pump at the higher pressures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
dscot420 said:
Nope, the OP was talking about a silca pista floor pump. Guess I should have been a bit more specific. I just assumed those who own these pumps would know where I was going when I mentioned the handle removal 1-way valve.

I did spread additional lube on the wiper prior to reassembling it.

I guess I got spoiled by the Blackburn TP-5 that the local shop has. Sweet pump for road tires. Superblo has them for $65. But $20 for the silca was too good of a deal to pass up considering it's new condition. So far it is the only pump that comes close to the TP-5, just isn't as easy to pump at the higher pressures.
I have the first pump shown in http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/silcfloor.html . Is that the one you have? If so, I have no problem getting to 120+ psi on a road bike tire. It takes a lot of pumps, though. If you have this pump, I'm not sure what you mean by a 1 way valve. My hose nozzle is only presta, if that's what you mean, but they have nozzles that can do both presta and schraeder.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top