1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coati said:
I've been to Silver once. Didnt get a chance to do any riding,
didnt have a bike with me.
What kind of trails to they have around there ? Singletrack ?
Lots of singletrack and lots of good epic biking. If you stop in Gila Hike and Bike in town, they have a nice guide book to the trails of the Gila.

Here is a cut and past of a description I did of the Signal Peak Challenge course.

.<<<<>>>>.

The event sorta goes like this:

The race immediately starts with a steep not too tricky doubletrack climb to a forest road. The start climb is totally doable, but with the race start jamming things up there will be most probably some walking. It really gets the heart pumping right out of the box.

The route then opens up onto a fast open stretch of forest road then turns right to some climbing and rolling forest road with some nice steeps tossed in. You hit back up with a main forest road for a bit then take a right up a real leg/lung buster climb through a dark canyon. That switches back and levels off on to some cool singletrack that rolls along the hillside contour. You then pop out on the main forest road again and (Sports) climb to the top of Signal Peak. This is a sustained climb of uphill rollers. It goes on for a while, but it's really just a matter of settling into the climbing rhythm.

When you hit the top, you divert onto some hilltop singletrack with some tricky rock outcroppings to cross over. You hit a "T," drop downhill left and WHOOP you are in a sweet singletrack chute that goes for a nice long time.

After a while you hook up with some primative road and do more climbing though some rockfields. Then - the highlight of the trail for me - you hit a part of the Continental Divide trail that squiggles downhill with some good speed, groovy views and sweet bike mojo. More down down down on singletrack and forest road. You cross through the Meadow Creek camp then start another climb section. You top out again and motor down some forest road to another long rockin' singletrack chute. You climb up to and across the highway, climb some more and hit yet another fast downhill singletrack rollercoaster back down to the highway. You cross the highway again then sprint it out to the finish.

The condensed version: Way fun trail of mixed primative road and plenty of magic singletrack. Lots of climbing, but not an inhumane amount, that is nicely balanced out over the course. Sport does 22 miles which includes the forest road climb to the top of the peak. Beginner does 16 miles that omits the climb to the top of the peak.

This is a good campout weekend event. Lots of quality camping by the race start and along the course. The promoter also provides good food and good beer. Part of the fun is watching the distress of the racers who drank and partied much too much the night before, unless you are one of them - then it's way ouch.

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
MAN, that sounds like a fun race. I am trying to hint to the wife that I am interested. But, it would mean backing out of a couple commitments and I DID just suffer through the Pajarito Punishment. Might have to set my sights on next year. sigh.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Great Pix Dave!

Looks like I missed some real ... FUN. Um, yeah, thats it. Lord that start/finish area looks almost LIQUID it's so gooey! Must have been beautiful and smelled that uber-fresh high alpine just rained woodsy smell.

It was a trip through the state years ago with weather like this, in the Gila no less, that convinced us to move to New Mexico. I've had my mud fix soundly satisfied of late and am looking forward to a fast, dry Horny Toad Hustle. I expect you to deliver :ihih:

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glenzx said:
Great Pix Dave!

Looks like I missed some real ... FUN. Um, yeah, thats it. Lord that start/finish area looks almost LIQUID it's so gooey! Must have been beautiful and smelled that uber-fresh high alpine just rained woodsy smell.

It was a trip through the state years ago with weather like this, in the Gila no less, that convinced us to move to New Mexico. I've had my mud fix soundly satisfied of late and am looking forward to a fast, dry Horny Toad Hustle. I expect you to deliver :ihih:
Thanks mon!

We're doing our sun dance for a fast, dry HTH. But it just keeps raining. Hey, it just makes for new and interesting surprises on the course.

The trails are in good shape. We keep grooming them in the morning to spite Mother Rain Cloud in the evening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.