Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, newbie on the forums :)

So I just bought my first cyclometer, and I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. Whenever I start pedaling, it takes a couple seconds to register the speed and it always seems to lagg behind. For example, if I brake after going 20km, it will very slowly go from 20 to say 16km, down to 12, down to 8 etc, even though I've already stopped. Is this normal or is something wrong ?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, I've just never used one of these things before ! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds completely normal to me. You have to figure the computer can only tell how fast you're going by seeing when its sensor passes the magnet on your wheel. It takes the time between sensor spikes and calculates your speed from that and the wheel diameter/circumference you entered when you set it up. By doing this, it can only sense your speed a few times a second at most, depending on your speed. Therefore, it will be a little laggy and will not keep up with your rapid changes in speed.

In order to have a more responsive computer, more magnets would be needed and the computer would either have to know how many, or you would have to enter the diameter of the wheel differently (2x the dia. for 2 sensors) so it could output the readings correctly. I have never heard of this being done, my guess is due to weight concerns and you really arent getting too much more info from it considering the added complexity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts