Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
frostedfrank said:
which computer to get?
i have not any experience with either, the twist lock of the sigma seems interesting but pretty much it?
I can't vouch for the Sigma, although I'm sure it's a solid, well build computer, but if they both have the functions you want, I can tell you that the Planet Bike Protege computers work well and the large buttonless display is a nice feature. My wife has been using the Protege 8.0 since they first came out four or five years ago, and it's still ticking along.

I've got a twist lock/bayonette style mount on my VDO -- I assume that's what you're referring to on the Sigma -- and it stays put. Again, coming from Sigma, you can pretty much trust it to work properly.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
frostedfrank said:
ya only thing i'm owrried about the protegé, i was reading reviews on it and well couple ppl saying would not trust on trails cause might fall off
that's my main concern
No problem here, but I just count as one person. Thing hasn't fallen off yet on the trails, and probably more importantly, hasn't fallen off while the bike is being transported on the roof rack and hitch rack. Go figure though -- I didn't realize other's were losing theirs.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I have a protege-5, has over 3,500 miles on it over the past 2 years and it has never fallen off even though I tacoed 2 wheels and cracked 2 frames with it on riding trails that are bumpy/rocky. Would buy another on in a new york minute!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sigma

I can comment on the Sigma.

I've used various Sigmas over the past few years and currently use the 1600. It works pretty well and as far as I can tell is accurate. The buttons are easy to use. The wireless kit also works well.

For my last replacement, I looked at different brands and came back to the Sigma based on the functions you get for the price.

Only complaint, the Sigma sensor on the spoke can be a little finicky and requires occasional adjustment to keep it lined up properly. Not a major problem, but some what of a pain to make a stop just to re-align the sensor. Also the rubber mounting O'rings tend to wear over time.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
frostedfrank said:
which computer to get?
i have not any experience with either, the twist lock of the sigma seems interesting but pretty much it?
I've used planet bikes on the road for a few years now- no problems, nice to see eveything. friend had the 9.0 and claimed the temp feature wasn't all that great. no experience with sigma. I don't use a computer on the mtn bikes, but regarding the mount, you might consider the come loose vs. break it scenario if/when you biff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.