Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

· Currently in Exile
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen the recent post on trail closures in California due to a Sierra Club law suit, I decided to look into the SC's web site at thier land use policies. I will give them this much, they do seperate mountain bikes from other vehicle users. We can thank Mr. Blumenthall and IMBA for that. But we know that it is also just window dressing. Here are a few parts of the policy w/my interpretation of their meaning.

"The Sierra Club reaffirms its support for the Wilderness Act's prohibition of "mechanized modes of transport," including non-motorized vehicles, from entry into designated wilderness."

Yea It's ours and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

"a. Trails and areas on public lands should be closed to all vehicles unless
i. determined to be appropriate for their use through completion of an analysis, review, and implementation process,"

Trails and areas on public lands should be closed to all vehicles (including bikes) unless we say so.

"The Sierra Club is concerned about the effects of use of bicycles off-road. Concerns have been raised about effects such as soil erosion, impacts on plants and animals, displacement of other trail users, and impacts on other users' safety and enjoyment. These concerns argue for special regulation, with effective enforcement, of off-road bicycling."

We will sue to get you off of OUR trails

"Single track trails can present difficult management, safety, and environmental protection situations, but may be acceptable for bicycling as determined on a local, case-by-case basis."

There's an old railroad bed over there, you can have that

"Any degradation of the environment, user safety, or enjoyment may be considered significant, depending on the permanence, scale, intensity, and context of the impact. Determination of the meaning of significant will rest, to a great degree, upon local entities and the regulatory agencies to which they appeal for such a determination."

Significant impact is defined as one Sierra Club member being frightened by one of those nasty mountain bikers.

Maybe I am wrong on this. Maybe the Sierra Club is populated by reasonable and rational individuals who are truly interested in access for all. But their actions sure paint another picture for me.

· Registered
476 Posts
Don't Worry..

They'll let the equestrian folks beat the cr*p out of "their" wilderness areas because they are doing it "naturally":)
It's amazing what money can do for a "cause"
Everything will be fine as long as we agree with them, right?

· Registered
476 Posts
No Lie

[Bottom line is that you are reading their policy correctly.....they don't want us around.

It p*sses me off because they act like they are the only ones who are entitled to enjoy the land. Last time I checked (and voted and paid taxes) we are all citizens of these good old United States and the land is "OURS", as in all of us. But what do I know, I'm just a muddy,old guy on a mountain bike taking in the sights.

· formerly Gobike69
345 Posts
Sierra Club

Get it straight, the Sierra Club is against mountain bikes and riders. When it gets down to it the Sierra Club and organizations of that ilk are more interested in perserving their idea of what wilderness should be and screw everyone else. If you like to ride a bicycle off road you should think long and hard about any affiliation with the Sierra Club. I personally like Sierra Club members, if you stack up enough of them they make great water bars.

· Registered
3,976 Posts
The Sierra Club is really just a Hiking and Equestrian Club. They're all about exclusion. They're for the environment as long as it includes hikers and 2000 pound post-hole diggers........AND excludes all mechanized devices....... especially bikes.

I take great pleasure when the Sierra Club people come around looking for donations. I invite them into my home and waste as much of their time as possible before I let them know that I wouldn't support them EVER.

· The Uber Carnivore
360 Posts
I'm done supporting Sierra Club

I've sent the $$$ in, but no more.

Expanding wilderness designations in NorCal, with Sierra Club support, will exclude mountain bikes. That bites.

From now on, I'll support WWF, CORAL, and Nature Conservancy.

Anybody who's against riding bikes $ucks.

· the cool nerd
8,459 Posts
join and conquer

of course, we could push a movement for mountain bikers all around the world (at least the country) to join the Sierra club, and then being infiltrating the officer ranks (or whatever they call themselves) so that we can enact policy changes to be more fair for all users of the land. We might not be able to enjoy the results, but we could make a difference for our children and other future mtbers.

just think, we could close st rails to hikers and equi-riders :D

scott

· Registered
476 Posts
No Way I could do it

sportsman said:
of course, we could push a movement for mountain bikers all around the world (at least the country) to join the Sierra club, and then being infiltrating the officer ranks (or whatever they call themselves) so that we can enact policy changes to be more fair for all users of the land. We might not be able to enjoy the results, but we could make a difference for our children and other future mtbers.

just think, we could close st rails to hikers and equi-riders :D

scott
I'd go postal at the first "hug in" meeting. Last time they were shmoozing around our area looking for cash, the guy was talking all proud about the people spiking trees to hurt the loggers. Nice, huh. Poor guy's just trying to do his job and these people want to "send a message" by maiming him. No doubt the family who has to live on a disability check are big supporters.

· nobody
489 Posts
You know what's funny

I've been getting mailers from the Sierra Club for years asking me to join. And it seems like I get at least two per year. I have no idea how I got on their list or how they've managed to track me through 3 addresses unless Rodale keeps selling my name and address or they just mass mail their propaganda out to the masses.

True, all the papers and envelopes are recycled but you'd think that after a few mailings and no response from me that they'd get the picture. I find this ironic since their mission is to "explore, enjoy and PROTECT the planet."

Am I the only one who gets their junk mail?

· MTBR.com Addict
617 Posts
grover said:
[Bottom line is that you are reading their policy correctly.....they don't want us around.

It p*sses me off because they act like they are the only ones who are entitled to enjoy the land. Last time I checked (and voted and paid taxes) we are all citizens of these good old United States and the land is "OURS", as in all of us. But what do I know, I'm just a muddy,old guy on a mountain bike taking in the sights.
....and drinking beer! Don't forget the beer!
BTW, Grover, did ya ever put a little more air in your rear shock?

· Fartographer
1,831 Posts
sportsman said:
of course, we could push a movement for mountain bikers all around the world (at least the country) to join the Sierra club,
I've been thinking along those lines for a while. Joining the Sierra Club and changing the way it operates seems to me to be the best and most responsible action. And if we all joined, think about the power we would have. Really. Think about it.

Anyone else? If one of you will join, I will. I'm 100% serious.

· giddy up!
3,248 Posts
Photo-John said:
I've been thinking along those lines for a while. Joining the Sierra Club and changing the way it operates seems to me to be the best and most responsible action. And if we all joined, think about the power we would have. Really. Think about it.

Not to be a downer, but that has already been tried so many times. There are currently quite a few people on "the inside" trying to do just that, but it's not that easy. The sierra club is alot bigger than you think. The answer is in forming your own group, doing trail work, and taking the proper paths to keep trails open.

Joining the sierra club only offers them more money to push their agenda with. Seriously, please reconsider.

B

· Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Good Point

I posted to see what kind of flaws people people would find in my plan. And you have a good point. I went and checked Sierra Club's claimed membership and it's over 700,000. There are 17,000 registered members on Mtbr.com. We're coming up a little short. I'm already an IMBA member and advocate. But wouldn't it be great if we could get inside the Sierra Club and change it? There's usually an awkward period in any kind of ambitious plan, where you don't quite have the resources to make it happen. Maybe we need to start out with some faith and make a sacrifice, in order to get the ball rolling.

And just to make it clear, my basic attitude is, f*ck those a-holes. I'm oh so polite on the trail. But when I see ski poles and floppy hats, I want to run people over. Trail nazis suck.

· Currently in Exile
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very True Donkey

If you want to improve access for Mountainbikes, you should join IMBA. Or at you can join a local club. The other part of improving access is to be involved. When I lived in TN, I was always at trail maint. days for the local State Park. The rangers knew me by face if not name. We never had a threat to access, but I am sure that being a good citizen and trail user in the eyes of the land managers would have been a benefit if there had been.

I am now involved in trail building here in ND. I have already talked with local land managers, and will be involved in building a new Mountain bike trail near Lake Sakakawea. Hopefully our involvement will create a positive relationship with the land managers, and minimize the influence of extremist groups like the Sierra Club.

Then they will just sue :eek:

· Registered
53 Posts
Photo-John said:
I posted to see what kind of flaws people people would find in my plan. And you have a good point. I went and checked Sierra Club's claimed membership and it's over 700,000. There are 17,000 registered members on Mtbr.com. We're coming up a little short. I'm already an IMBA member and advocate. But wouldn't it be great if we could get inside the Sierra Club and change it? There's usually an awkward period in any kind of ambitious plan, where you don't quite have the resources to make it happen. Maybe we need to start out with some faith and make a sacrifice, in order to get the ball rolling.
Something to consider, is probably try to keep this discussion going, and make it a "hot issue" so perhaps it is on a lot of people's minds at major events, like Sea Otter. Does Sierra Club have a both at these events? Would be interesting if they did. Hopefully more people will become more active in campaigning for unrestricted acess to trails, especially here in the Bay Area, where Sierra Club is currently trying to boot MTBers from Soquel Demonsration forest :( .

I think you have a good idea, I can only see it working tho if we could get a LOT of people to commit. The other poster about how it would just give more $$ to their war chest is probably right tho. Maybe it would be better if we could just "rally the troops" and get behind an already established group instead?

-Jason

· Registered
476 Posts
I don't get it?

STrackMike said:
....and drinking beer! Don't forget the beer!
BTW, Grover, did ya ever put a little more air in your rear shock?
I thought the CO2 from the beer dispenser was supposed to have stayed in the shock forever! Yeah, It all good now. Thanks for the pointer.

· Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
not me. never.

Photo-John said:

I don't mean to get on a rant here, but....

To join, you have to give them $$$. I will never give those fluckheads one red cent.

Sierra Club does more to lower my quality of life than any other environmental/non-profit organization, except perhaps the penisheads at Greenpeace.

And lest anybody get the wrong impression, I am - seriously - a huge tree-hugger. But over the years these organizations have become huge with many constituencies and agendas and have become politicized and have lost their way, and are now an impediment to proper conservation and stewardship (which was originally their sole focus).

Trail Punk suggests some alternative environmental non-profits (WWF, CORAL, and Nature Conservancy). I agree with his list and think that these organizations are much more rational and effective at conservation and stewardship than most of their competitors (especially the Sierra Club). I would also add Ducks Unlimited and Surfriders to this list, even though I am neither a hunter nor a surfer.

· Wandervans
2,084 Posts
I second..

supporting other organizations instead like IMBA it is a great way to spend your money. For such a small amount we can help mountain bikers voice to be heard. Imagine if every mountain biker was an imba member, how much power we would have!

I second the Ducks Unlimited thing too, I am a member! Even though I only hunt big game and upland game birds.

See you on the Trails,
Chris

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.