Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a long shot.

Labor Day Weekend. A few of us from Sacramento are riding MTB from Hole in the Ground (is it open yet?:thumbsup:) to Scotts Flat Reservoir. 55 miles, 5500 ish climbing and 10,000ish descent.

One guy doing the ride is visiting from the northeast and also wants to do a couple NorCal staples, so that same weekend (thru Tuesday) we plan to ride Downieville and/or Toad's.

Does anyone have hammockable trees in their back yard or know of any decent campgrounds or accommodations that aren't on the top google results? Can provide beer for wisdom and dollars for accommodation for a couple dirty mountain bikers. We're looking for probably a night in Nevada City, and maybe a night in Meyers or South Lake. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a number of people camping out on Pioneer trail, short pedal to the store/parking lot. Make sure you do a lap of Hoot & Miners
How safe/kosher is that? The couple "camps" I've seen there looked less than happy.

Any other clever ideas out there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
How safe/kosher is that? The couple "camps" I've seen there looked less than happy.
I live/ride here and wouldn't hesitate to boondock in the Forest along Hwy 20 or Conservation Camp Rd. Yes, some camps look more "nice" than others and some have left trash but all the campers appear to have kept to themselves and the ones I have interacted with have all been friendly or respectful. I had to approach numerous of them as part of the Hoot-Pioneer race. Just don't drive where driving is not allowed and with fire restrictions there are NO fires allowed outside of developed campgrounds. It is getting to be a popular area for dispersed camping and we are expecting our District to implement some restrictions at some point but at any rate it hasn't happened yet. They're probably booked, but if you want something a little more plush at the end of your long ride you might check out Inn Town CG in Nevada City. Super nice and you are going to be *very* dirty.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You can also camp at Scotts Lake off Hwy 88, perfect for TRT/Christmas Valley loop, and near the Mr Toads (TRT) trailheads. Dispersed camping, no reservations no fees.

Also right near there are the Luther Pass BLM Campsites, also free and also on the Xmas Valley Loop.

If neither of those work, Blue Lakes Road just past Scotts Lake on 88.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.