Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in a recent Sierra thread, a comment was made about "Sierra baby heads". I do want to make a trip out to Tahoe this summer for some riding and I was wondering how "Sierra Baby heads" compare to the technical stuff on Santa Teresa's Rocky Ridge? I'm using RR as a measuring stick since it's got what I would think it's the most chunk I've ridden.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Yeah... Ronski's photo - I would rate those as buffalo heads. Same rules apply: easiest if ridden faster.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I think the biggest difference is RR has rocks that are fairly stable and don't move around as you ride. Sierra stuff is rocks piled on rocks and the ground moves around under you while you pedal.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Luckily trails with lots of Babyheads like the one Melinda is riding above or the one BigBoulder is riding below are not the norm for most of the trails in the Sierra's, just get up there and start riding you'll figure it out.

BB_BOULDER.jpg

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Luckily trails with lots of Babyheads like the one Melinda is riding above or the one BigBoulder is riding below are not the norm for most of the trails in the Sierra's, just get up there and start riding you'll figure it out.

View attachment 877853
Is this near Oakland Pond / by Pauley Creek? Looks familiar - not like there aren't a ton of those up there. I've only ridden up there on a 26" - would love to try on a 29".

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
That's ^^ the pony express trail just before you get to Strawberry, off Hwy 50.

BB has since given his old body a birthday present of a full suspension bike, but he killed it for years in the Sierra's fully ridged.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
That's ^^ the pony express trail just before you get to Strawberry, off Hwy 50.

BB has since given his old body a birthday present of a full suspension bike, but he killed it for years in the Sierra's fully ridged.
Snap! I've been wanting to ride that - you and Bullhorn were singing the merits of that trail in another thread. Definitely on the Spring must-do list. That looks hairball.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts