Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noon meeting in Los Gatos tomorrow (Wednesday) and a few hours in the afternoon for a ride. I was thinking about hitting Sierra Azul. Any advices on which trails / loop to hit (looking for a 2 hours, 15 miles, 3000' ride).

Any other alternative places to ride in that area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sierra Azul is pretty much all fire roads with some pretty nice long consistent climbs. Theirs only 4 trails in the entire park I think your best bet is to probably climb Kennedy > Limekiln> the turn right onto priest rock> Kennedy. Its not 15 miles but its gonna be 3k plus of climbing.
Nice Views is a sure thing on the ride

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ride up Sierra Azul from the top of Kennedy road (ride from bottom in LG or drive up and park @ gate).

Take your first right after getting up on the ridge (min 30 min of climbing, more like an hour for most).

Rip down this rough fireroad (steep).

At the saddle take your first right onto a doubletrack (Limeliln/Overgrown). Rip down this for 10 minutes or so. A slight climb near the bottom (minimal). You will pop out on Alma Bridge rd. by Lexington Reservoir, go right on the pavement. Follow the road for a few miles and look for the dirt path on the left side just before the dam. This leads to LG creek trail which brings you back to downtown LG.

Nothing really exciting, but hey its dirt.

Look for maps of St. Josephs Hill area as well. It is on the way back before the creek trail.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ride up Priest Rock, hang a right on Limekiln, drop in and climb, climb, climb. Left at the top, across to Dog Meat, down Dog Meat, and then right on Limekiln/Overgrown. All fire roads, but a good ride. Kennedy is boring, as is crowded St Joe's IMO.

·
(no longer) The Jeans Guy
37 Posts
Hill training/torture: Starting from Alma Bridge Road, ride up all of Priest Rock (lower and upper), continue up Kennedy/Woods, then back down Limekiln (upper and lower).

Lower Priest Rock has one lung-busting, vomit-inducing climb section under the power lines.

Upper Priest Rock has about two such sections.

Upper Kennedy/Woods has rollers with some short steep climbs in both directions.

Limekiln is fairly consistently graded without really steep sections. But the top 2 miles is a consistent 15-20%, which gets really old...

Jim

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got 10.5 miles / 2700' in 2 hours...

That place is steep and not that exciting overall, but the views (once at the top) were pretty darn good.

I started from the SA22 gate, up LimeKiln Trail all the way to Kennedy Trail, then Kennedy back down to Priest Rock all the way to gate SA21 and a short ride on the pavement to my car at SA22.

It took me 30 minutes from the gate to the Priest Rock / Limekiln intersection (stop to talk to a local rider who was building a jump about 300' from the intersection). I got passed by a skinny guy hammering on a Titus on the second part of Limekiln (hanged out with him for a few minutes then I spat out a lung so I had to let him go :rolleyes:).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Nice job. The climb up Lower Limekiln during the summer is almost always in the shade, unlike Lower Priest Rock. Lower Limekiln is known as Overgrown, but was sanitized over 10 years ago and is no longer overgrown. Oh well. Pretty much 50/50 of whether we would climb it or Lower Priest Rock. Then almost always continue up on Upper Limekiln instead of Upper Priest Rock which is known as Dogmeat. Many moons ago you would descend Lower Priest Rock to the entry of Moody's. Great singletrack descent broken into two sections. Was closed over 10 years ago due to many injuries for the most part. It is now completely "Overgrown". Sucks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kennedy is my default wintertime spot

grumblingcrustacean said:
Anyone know how Kennedy Trail is holding up with the bit of rain we have gotten? I need some morning pain and suffering.

Thanks
-jim
Kennedy is my default wintertime spot. The same sand and exposure that cause it to resemble a few rings of Dante's hell in the summer make for good drainage and fewer dripping trees in the winter.

Can anyone else recommend another ride in the area that dries quickly?

Thanks,

/Donald

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
St Joseph hills down the road from Kennedy.

Super dry. Can it ever get wet?

The main fireroad is super dry even after the rain. I rode it yesterday. Other than 1 puddle that you must cross, it was literally dry ride. And you dont even have to take that trail too.

But is a small park. I can ride the whole park with a single speed in 50 minutes. Only the initial part is a little bit "less flat". Good work out on a rainy wknd if you really want to hit dirt, and dont want to drive to Ord.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
next time

Denis said:
That place is steep and not that exciting overall, but the views (once at the top) were pretty darn good.

I started from the SA22 gate, up LimeKiln Trail all the way to Kennedy Trail, then Kennedy back down to Priest Rock all the way to gate SA21 and a short ride on the pavement to my car at SA22.

It took me 30 minutes from the gate to the Priest Rock / Limekiln intersection (stop to talk to a local rider who was building a jump about 300' from the intersection). I got passed by a skinny guy hammering on a Titus on the second part of Limekiln (hanged out with him for a few minutes then I spat out a lung so I had to let him go :rolleyes:).
Next time you gotta keep going on Woods Rd and all the way down to Hicks Road. Then you can go into Quicksilver park for few laps before climbing back up to Kennedy.

I did the loop on Saturday but Quicksilver Park was closed due to rain so I suffered up Mt. Ununum for a few before heading back. Nice little 3.5 hr jaunt. A few soft spots on lower Woods road, but nothing bad.

Almost had a head-on w/ a full tilt galloping horse as I was descending to Hicks Road, could have been ugly!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Denis said:
Never been there, but from looking at the map, there seems to be barely more than 5 miles of Mountain Bike accessible trails.... How's the riding there?
It's not technical at all. I usually add El Sereno to my St. Joe's and/or Sierra Azul loops. Often times I'll go up Kennedy, down Dogmeat, over Hwy. 17, up Montevina Road and come down Aquinas Trail into Los Gatos.

It might be worth it if you're on a time budget, but you can add it to your trail menu in case you're in the area again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.