Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I used to ride quicksilver in high school (4 years ago) and just started getting back into mountain biking. I rode quicksilver last weekend and I'd been thinking how'd the ride be if I drive up to one of the parking spots (up hicks) and have someone drop me off and ride down one of those trails? How long would it take and where would I end up at the bottom? Also, there are 2 parking lots, so which ride would be better? I'm just trying to get back into rhythm.

Oh, and I just got a new Specialized Rockhopper for $1000. Good deal?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
if you head thru Sierra Azul you will climb a whole mess and end up in los gatos.

if you head back thru quicksilver you will climb much less and end up in new almaden.

since you are just starting i'd head out thru QS...start at Hacienda and power out an entire loop (around 11 miles and 1500' ascent)...go clockwise to get the biggest bit of climbing outta the way.

my .02
 

·
More Torque
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
anirudh0802 said:
Hey guys,

I used to ride quicksilver in high school (4 years ago) and just started getting back into mountain biking. I rode quicksilver last weekend and I'd been thinking how'd the ride be if I drive up to one of the parking spots (up hicks) and have someone drop me off and ride down one of those trails? How long would it take and where would I end up at the bottom? Also, there are 2 parking lots, so which ride would be better? I'm just trying to get back into rhythm.

Oh, and I just got a new Specialized Rockhopper for $1000. Good deal?
Which day and entrance did you hit up at QS? I was at the Hicks entrance on Sat, and it was closed. I ended up having to go all the way around the park, rather than cutting through.

-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diesel~ said:
Which day and entrance did you hit up at QS? I was at the Hicks entrance on Sat, and it was closed. I ended up having to go all the way around the park, rather than cutting through.

-D
I was there on Sunday and it was open.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
anirudh0802 said:
I was there on Sunday and it was open.
Funny, QS closes at the slightest rain. Being closed on Satuday, and the rain on Sunday, I couldn't believe it was open and didn't even call to check although I wanted to ride QS Sunday.

BTW, it's always open to hikers. Maybe you missed the fold down No Biking sign?

As for your question, you can park either lot for free. But the QS lot at Hicks is a lot bigger with more room, and closer to the trail head.

You have maybe 100' of climb on Woods Rd, then another 200' up to Spanish Town. From there, if you follow the Castillero road downhill (via Mine Hill Trial), you'll be at the bottom at Hacienda in 5 minutes. You might even beat the guy that dropped you off (depending on how fast you do those little climbs) and he can pick you up on the way home.

Personally, I'd go left on Castillero road after getting to Spanish Town, go 100' up and over to Bull Run and then down the long fun fast road to Guadalupe Dam. (Great views on that descent, if you dare. I stop to look.) Turn right at the bench by the reservoir (only bike legal way) and take the rolling Randol trail around the back side. You'll get about 500' total of climbing in little hills on that route.

Either way, direct down or around the back side on Randol, at the picnic table at end of Randol (at Cape Horn), instead of going down to Hacienda entrance (New Almaden), go up the little Cape Horn hill. Then follow the only path legal to bikes and come out on Mockingbird Lane entrance via the Virl O Norton trail. It's a hella steep downhill, with rutted roads. A lot of fun if you're up for it.

Also, for a great view, don't miss the Catherine Tunnel loop at the top, just a few hundred yards down from Bull Run.

BTW, my newbie wife and I often do a short loop at QS from the Hicks entrance. We go down Castillero to English Camp and back up Mine Hill to Bull Run, then back to the car. I think it's something like 8 miles and 1100' of climb. Not too bad for riding and sees all the scenic areas up top. Be careful with speed on the dirt roads as they're more dangerous than you'd think. My wife slid out on a sandy turn coming from that entrance, and split her chin open down to the bone with a scary blood geyser coating her neck and a big ER bill. And I've seen several others with nasty spills on those roads.
 

·
More Torque
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
BigLarry said:
Funny, QS closes at the slightest rain. Being closed on Satuday, and the rain on Sunday, I couldn't believe it was open and didn't even call to check although I wanted to ride QS Sunday.

BTW, it's always open to hikers. Maybe you missed the fold down No Biking sign?

As for your question, you can park either lot for free. But the QS lot at Hicks is a lot bigger with more room, and closer to the trail head.

You have maybe 100' of climb on Woods Rd, then another 200' up to Spanish Town. From there, if you follow the Castillero road downhill (via Mine Hill Trial), you'll be at the bottom at Hacienda in 5 minutes. You might even beat the guy that dropped you off (depending on how fast you do those little climbs) and he can pick you up on the way home.

Personally, I'd go left on Castillero road after getting to Spanish Town, go 100' up and over to Bull Run and then down the long fun fast road to Guadalupe Dam. (Great views on that descent, if you dare. I stop to look.) Turn right at the bench by the reservoir (only bike legal way) and take the rolling Randol trail around the back side. You'll get about 500' total of climbing in little hills on that route.

Either way, direct down or around the back side on Randol, at the picnic table at end of Randol (at Cape Horn), instead of going down to Hacienda entrance (New Almaden), go up the little Cape Horn hill. Then follow the only path legal to bikes and come out on Mockingbird Lane entrance via the Virl O Norton trail. It's a hella steep downhill, with rutted roads. A lot of fun if you're up for it.

Also, for a great view, don't miss the Catherine Tunnel loop at the top, just a few hundred yards down from Bull Run.

BTW, my newbie wife and I often do a short loop at QS from the Hicks entrance. We go down Castillero to English Camp and back up Mine Hill to Bull Run, then back to the car. I think it's something like 8 miles and 1100' of climb. Not too bad for riding and sees all the scenic areas up top. Be careful with speed on the dirt roads as they're more dangerous than you'd think. My wife slid out on a sandy turn coming from that entrance, and split her chin open down to the bone with a scary blood geyser coating her neck and a big ER bill. And I've seen several others with nasty spills on those roads.
Just to avoid anyone's disappointment, Randol is currently under its "regular" seasonal closure.

To your point, Larry, the county is super conservative with their QS closure triggers.

-D
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Diesel~ said:
Just to avoid anyone's disappointment, Randol is currently under its "regular" seasonal closure.

To your point, Larry, the county is super conservative with their QS closure triggers.

-D
Thanks for the heads up. It seems like just a month or two ago I rode Randol (legally) with it being open.

The trail openings can be checked via the hot line: 1-408-355-2200 x7x5
Indeed, the recording currently says all trails are closed to bikes, and Randol is closed "for the season". :sad:
 

·
More Torque
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
BigLarry said:
Thanks for the heads up. It seems like just a month or two ago I rode Randol (legally) with it being open.

The trail openings can be checked via the hot line: 1-408-355-2200 x7x5
Indeed, the recording currently says all trails are closed to bikes, and Randol is closed "for the season". :sad:
Randol was open at the reservoir end this morning, and one of the fallen trees near Prospect #3 has been chainsawed out. Saw a fair amount of bike tracks as well.

-D
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Diesel~ said:
Randol was open at the reservoir end this morning, and one of the fallen trees near Prospect #3 has been chainsawed out. Saw a fair amount of bike tracks as well.

-D
One of those tracks was mine. I did that Randol loop yesterday.

Going down from Bull Run to Guadalupe Dam, I also saw what looked like a major landslide that had been repaired. I also saw on Randol what looked like some big trees that had been cut, perhaps around Prospect #3, but seemed a little closer to the dam.

Anyway, all is good at Quicksilver. Almost no mud, no obstacles. Generally in good shape.
 

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
Joined
·
8,584 Posts
I did a basic Quicksilver sprint on Friday:
Some day I want to explore more of the trails there though.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top