Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alreet,

Ive currently got a zaskar hardtail, approx 99 model, its setup for 80mm travel. Im currently running a set of SIDs but they have seen better days.
I wanted to get new SIDs but cant seem to find any with v brake bosses, do they still do them?
Are there any other forks i should look at that are 80mm travel and comparable to SIDs with v brake bosses that people here would recommend?

Cheers

Mick

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I think they stopped putting brake bosses on SIDs last year (That's why I bought one in 09 when they upgraded the design of the SID but still offered some models with bosses).
Someone recently posted this really nice deal on a Manitou R7 with bosses. It's 100mm, but you should be OK with that as long as you're not a stickler for a steep head tube angle. The R7 is basically Manitou's SID . Decide quick though, because mid to high end forks with brake bosses are getting very hard to find.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
trailville said:
I think they stopped putting brake bosses on SIDs last year (That's why I bought one in 09 when they upgraded the design of the SID but still offered some models with bosses).
Someone recently posted this really nice deal on a Manitou R7 with bosses. It's 100mm, but you should be OK with that as long as you're not a stickler for a steep head tube angle. The R7 is basically Manitou's SID . Decide quick though, because mid to high end forks with brake bosses are getting very hard to find.
+1...and a R7 is significantly stiffer than those old SID's

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Do a fleabay search for "rockshox sid race". There are normally a few new ones (they'll be 2009/10 models) with v-brakes listed. Do not get the older 2008 flexy models. You want the ones with 32mm stanchions.

You can also order the v-brake lowers as a spare part and convert a disk only SID for v-brakes. They will fit all 32mm stanchion SIDs except the 2011 120mm chassis. This would probably more expensive than just buying a new or second hand SID with the v-brake lowers already fitted.

All of the 80/100mm SIDs are the same internally. Conversion just involves the addition or removal of two 10mm spacers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TigWorld said:
Do a fleabay search for "rockshox sid race". There are normally a few new ones (they'll be 2009/10 models) with v-brakes listed. Do not get the older 2008 flexy models. You want the ones with 32mm stanchions.

You can also order the v-brake lowers as a spare part and convert a disk only SID for v-brakes. They will fit all 32mm stanchion SIDs except the 2011 120mm chassis. This would probably more expensive than just buying a new or second hand SID with the v-brake lowers already fitted.

All of the 80/100mm SIDs are the same internally. Conversion just involves the addition or removal of two 10mm spacers.
Cheers, ive setup a search on ebay incase a set come up :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are parts available for the SID, if you are interested in fixing yours. Anything you buy on ebay is likely to require some service also.

What is wrong with your SID? I have taken mine apart a few times, and it's easy to work on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WillTheGreat said:
There are parts available for the SID, if you are interested in fixing yours. Anything you buy on ebay is likely to require some service also.

What is wrong with your SID? I have taken mine apart a few times, and it's easy to work on.
They are just totally out of date now, he SIDs have came a long way since ive bought mine 11 years ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.