Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ideas about how to improve the traction of Sidi shoes? I love their fit and got a new pair of Dominators for Xmas. But, as usual, the soles are super slick and I'd like to improve their traction somehow. Toe spikes for really muddy conditions isn't really what I'm looking for.

·
EDR
10,037 Posts
If you HAB or rock scramble often while biking then I'd simply look for appropriate shoes. I've always liked Vibram soled shoes for HAB on rocky terrain. My Five Ten Kestrel lace (SPD's) work fine for hab as well. Aren't most Sidi shoes lightweight 'race' shoes? Might just be the wrong tool for the job.

·
Single Track Mind
681 Posts
Yeah, Sidi shoes are awesome as long as you don't need to get off the bike. HAB in Sidis is akin to ice skating on the trail. I am waiting for a pair of Sidi Gravel shoes that are supposed to be more compliant for HAB, but we will see... if they ever show up.
When I know I am going to ride in a place with a lot of HAB, I use my RC Transitions.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If you got the ones without the replaceable sole, yeah, they're pretty slippery. The only thing I found to work a LITTLE bit was to scuff 'em up as much as possible on concrete or rocks. They still won't be great, but at least won't feel as slippery.

·
dirtbag
1,513 Posts
Yeah, Sidi shoes are just roadie shoes with hard tread tacked on. Better suited to XC racer types. I've found Northwave shoes to have better all around soles - grippy, not hard. I've been using Tevas or Five Ten for general mtb use. Only use my Northwaves for gravel/road rides.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I've been using( and loving) the Sidi Defender 20 shoes, for enduro, trail, XC and gravel. They do have excellent grip while hiking.
I wish Sidi had a full on race shoe, Tiger or Dragon with a sole from the Defender 20. Maybe their gravel shoe is as close to this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts