Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was given a pair of sidi's and have been using them for a year now. They are my every ride shoe. I think they are over rated and way over priced.(glad I got them for free!) The latch system is kinda gets sticky but a little W-D does the trick. The cleats are hard plastic and get slippery on the rock's when you hike-a-bike. The good thing is they kinda disappear on a ride. The only time I think about them is when I have to get the little baaastards off or when I have to walk in them. I think my next shoe will be the Shimano high end shoe or the new Diadora. Good luck. Shoe's are like saddles, try' em:)

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
baycat said:
In the market for a pair of good MTB shoes. Worn my old Shimano SPD velcros ones out.

http://www.rei.com/product/720864

For people riding with Sidi shoes, with the strap, how are you liking them as far as comfort for long rides? Or do you use them more for racing?

Any similar shoes out there might consider, Specialized?
Nothing holds up as well as Sidi's.

The rubber sole's on my shimanos fell off after a year. My Nike's broke (pastic sole cracked in half). The stitching in my Northwave's came undone will riding down Mr Toads - making me crash into a creek (don't ask for details:p )

Sidi's may get old, ugly looking and smelly - but the tread, sole, faux leather and stitching out lasts everything.

If you wear out or break straps, you can easily get replacements. Expect atleast 3 seasons out of a pair of Sidi's. Anything else you're lucking to get 2.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Shimano's have lasted me about 2 years, but the soles are torn to shite.

Wanted to try a shoe with a buckle and see if it made me faster :D

Heard someone mention that they liked a Specialized shoe similar to the Sidi. While the price point is high, investment seems worth it.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I have two pair of Specialized and love them. One velcro, and one buckle. On the buckle shoe, I modified it to use the Sidi buckles since the Spec buckles were terrible. Sidi buckle replacement parts can be had at Universalcycles.com.

I prefer the velcro shoes now over the buckle ones. The buckles seem to get full of weeds, dirt, mud and can be a pain to get off, especially when your tired and just want to get out of them. They also aren't very comfortable when sitting on the ground. The buckle usually gets in the way when you sit Indial style. It's like always having a rock on the side of your foot. I only wear the buckle shoe when road riding these days.

The Spec shoes I have are now on their third/fourth season. They are wearing holes in some places, but are holding up strong.

Shiloh has both Sidi buckle and Spec velcro shoes. She primarily wears the Sidis on the road/trainer, since she has buckle problems with them. The Sidis don't have as much ventiliation, so she wears them on cold MTB rides to keep her feet warmer.

Bottom line:
Avoid buckles

-Dan

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I love my Sidi's, they are like wearing slippers on a ride.

The buckles can be slow to get off after a ride, especially if they get full of weeds. But, with buckles I don't need to re-tighten the straps during a ride.

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Get them, you shan't be dissapointed. Especially if you are particular (either out of need or fuss) about how your shoes fit.

I got mine because I have a narrow foot and they make a narrow.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Sidi and Spec are both solid...

baycat said:
For people riding with Sidi shoes, with the strap, how are you liking them as far as comfort for long rides? Or do you use them more for racing?

Any similar shoes out there might consider, Specialized?
I've had at least 3 pairs of Sidi Dominators over the years. They have their issues, but they are pretty friggin indestructable. Currently running the Spec higher top shoes and really like those for colder weather and rocky terrain. They rule up in D'ville when in the real chop. Great ankle protection.

I've always been a fan of some kind of mechanical closure after losing one of the original SPD shoes (dual velcro) in a stream crossing during a race in W.V. Never really trusted the velcro after that. The Specs I have now are velcro though, but they have four straps and they are looong. So I trust them to stay on. :D

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I've probably had ten pairs of Sidi road and mountain shoes in series, sometimes several pairs at a time. (I just watch ebay for "sidi 48".)

Right now I'm rocking a pair of Sidi Dragon SRS 2 shoes I got pretty cheap from the UK, last year's model. They are sooooooo nice.

I've done two 24-hour races in Sidis, several 10-hour, 40-mile mountain bike rides in 'em too. I race in 'em, ride in 'em, commute in 'em.

The thing is, Sidis may just rock but if they don't fit, you must acquit. IOW, find the shoe that loves your feet, regardless of features. Sidis love my feet. Try 'em all on. Run around the shop. Think about feet growing a half size on hot days. Think about pressure from beneath. Also, be careful of too-long cleat bolts.

Their insoles suck tho. I replace them with Superfeet insoles.

The new Dominator 6 shoes have the replaceable tread blocks like the Dragons. Cool feature, and the new tread blocks are stickier, good for hike-a-bike and cyclocross.

So who is this baycat person anyway? I hear he rides in my neck of the woods.

Morgan, Earl of Joaquin Miller

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Similar to finding a pair of good running shoes then :idea: Got narrow feet, so widths help a lot.

He is a derelict. Morgan. Yep I frequent your neck o the woods, work down the street from the park. Need to ride wind trainers with you one night or hook up for a ride. Can show me how to summit $2 hill

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
baycat said:
Similar to finding a pair of good running shoes then :idea: Got narrow feet, so widths help a lot.

He is a derelict. Morgan. Yep I frequent your neck o the woods, work down the street from the park. Need to ride wind trainers with you one night or hook up for a ride. Can show me how to summit $2 hill
I might be heading up there after work. Bringing my camera. I'll make you famous!:thumbsup:

·
new and improved
398 Posts
for a MTB shoe...

... the Sidi Dominators are the most comfortable shoes I've owned. I have had them for 4 years or so.

BUT

1. they're stupid-expensive.
2. the latch is not so durable - rocks will break them (both latches on mine are broken but I can still cinch and release them, so I can still ride), and the older models won't accept the newer latches, so no replacements.
3. the velcro wears out after the first year or so and pops open a few times a ride
4. the soles are (were? mine are a few years old) hard plastic and überslick, which really sucks if you have to dab on solid rock
5. the leather (or whatever they're made out of) is quite soft, abrades easily.
6. there is little toe protection - the front of the shoe is soft leather, and if you hit a rock/root/log/tree, you're going to feel it.

I have never understood why mtb shoes aren't more durable - you aren't doing lots of walking in them, wear them for maybe 5-ish hours a week, yet ALL brands of mtb shoe that I have tried (specialized, shimano, answer, sidi) over the years have suffered from sucky durability.

That said, at least Sidis are comfortable, and seem to work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used to wear Sidi's exclusively, even after I pulled the cleat out of the sole (while trying to disengage from a muddy pedal - probably an SPD issue). When Shimano started making higher end shoes, I started wearing them and love them because they fit my feet perfectly. I tried to go back to Sidi's recently but even with the multiple widths, I couldn't get the glove-like fit I get with the Shimano shoes. Try on as many brands as you can before pulling the trigger.

Good luck,

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
If you're up for expensive, the new top o da line Shimano shoes are getting great reviews. They're custom heat moldable footbeds and shoe uppers. You can heat mold them a few times to suit. 300 bones though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've had a pair of specialized pro carbons for 2.5 years and would definitely recommend them. Very stiff sole, they stay latched up nice and tight, and they breathe pretty well. No issues with durability, and they're super comfortable.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I never thought I would drop the dough for sidis, but Ive been lucky. Got some Dom4s at Supergo for $105 before they closed, then found some Dom5s in performance's clearance section (brannan), missing soles, multiple % off stickers, which came out to about $90. Still havent worn the D5s, waiting for the 4s to wear out.

They feel great, but sometimes they get to me on really long rides usually when hiking is involved.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.