Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· XC Hack
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input on how traditional, non-replaceable soles (like on the Dominator shoe) wear compared to Sidi's replaceable SRS soles. The latter, while softer for supposed better traction and able to replace, they sure wear quickly, like a set a year--and at $50 +/- per set, that sucks (I'm on my third set). Do the non-replaceble sole treads like on the Dominator wear longer/are tougher? I'm thinking of buying the Dominator as my next shoe. Thanks.

· Shapeshifter
93 Posts
Not sure about that but I have a suggestion. Use plastic soccer spikes threaded into the front “fangs”. Maybe it’s just me but I end up tippy toe on these plastic spikes and my soles last 3x longer at least

One bag full take care of you cuz there’s like 5 or 6 per package. Pick them up at any sporting goods store.

Attachments

· Registered
393 Posts
I love the Dominator, been through several pairs over the last 15 yrs. Never had a problem with the soles wearing out that I can recall. They're pretty hard plastic, so not always the best traction on rocks/ hard surfaces but fine in dirt/mud. Just have to ride more, walk less!

Not sure, but I seem to remember mine coming with optional spikes similar to the soccer cleats above? Either way, great to know they fit!

· Registered
322 Posts
Haha, I hated the Dominator. The reason to get mountain bike specific shoes over road shoes is to be able to walk in them off road. They sucked for that - slippery as hell and felt like walking in plastic road shoes. The plastic wore fine. Even if they would have worn down, traction already was terrible, so kind of no where to go lower.

After going for years just riding my SPDs in running shoes for my commute and most casual rides, I wised up, removed my PD-M959s, and went to flat pedals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.