Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a pair of Drakos for this season. I love everything about them, except that the damn soles are like ice, when trying to clip back in on the fly!! My first two races have had muddy sections that require dismounts and I have killed myself at times trying to get back into the pedals.

I was thinking of skate board grip tape may work best, does anyone else have different/better ideas? This has got to be fixed!!!!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
What I do with my MTB shoes is use strong superglue to stick a strip of old tyre across the midfoot of the carbon fibre shoe. This picture shows my Giro Code shoe with part of an old worn out WTB Velociraptor tyre covering the slippery carbon fibre midsole:

Tyre rubber is soft enough that the clipless pedal can dig in and the tyre tread blocks catch on the binding to help keep your foot on the pedal whilst clipped out for a bit more security.

So long as you stick the strip of tyre down carefully initially to get a good bond (especially around the edges) then it should stay there for the life of the shoe, even when used in mud and wet conditions.:)

Another option would be to do the same thing with a Five Ten resole kit. This would give a soft grippy midsole on the shoe also.

https://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4317-stealthr-c4-dot-kit-xl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts