Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience problems with small "tears" forming on the sidewalls of these tires? A couple weeks ago I flatted on a ride and found a small tear on my sidewall. I threw in a tube, finished my ride and forgot about it.

This past weekend I noticed there were now several pronounced tears and a few more begining to form. I originally thought I cut the sidewall on a sharp rock or root but now that I have a few to compare, they have all formed in line with the sidewall threads and are very clean tears of consistent length in the same direction. They have only formed on the rear tire on the drive side (if I recall correctly).

Been running these tires for about 6 monthsI'm about 195 lbs. tend to run at around 35-40 psi and I'm also using Stan's if that makes a difference. Does this sound like a defect? I read about a few people complaining of sidewall blowouts but nothing like this. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MondoRides said:
Anyone else experience problems with small "tears" forming on the sidewalls of these tires? A couple weeks ago I flatted on a ride and found a small tear on my sidewall. I threw in a tube, finished my ride and forgot about it.

This past weekend I noticed there were now several pronounced tears and a few more begining to form. I originally thought I cut the sidewall on a sharp rock or root but now that I have a few to compare, they have all formed in line with the sidewall threads and are very clean tears of consistent length in the same direction. They have only formed on the rear tire on the drive side (if I recall correctly).

Been running these tires for about 6 monthsI'm about 195 lbs. tend to run at around 35-40 psi and I'm also using Stan's if that makes a difference. Does this sound like a defect? I read about a few people complaining of sidewall blowouts but nothing like this. Any thoughts?
Can you post a pic?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I have had that problem w/ both Vert pros and Explorer Protections (non-UST). When it happened to the vert pro it was caused by a rock and punctured the tube too, but the tear went perfectly w/ the threads. In the case of the exp, it didn't flat, and I didn't notice it until I cleaned my bike- but again torn w/ the pattern of the thread. Both were on rear too, but I don't remember what sides? I liked the tires, but didn't feel the need to rebuy, I like to try new things (Kenda BG/nevegal)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.