Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,864 Posts
Common sense; If you are a heavier rider, it's probably not a great choice.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Their setup guide doesn't seem to cover people much above 180
>120lb (55 kg) 70-80 psi 70-80 psi 40-60 psi
120-140lb (55-65 kg) 80-100 psi 80-100 psi 60-80 psi
140-160lb (65-73 kg) 100-120 psi 100-120 psi 80-100 psi
160-180lb (73-82 kg) 120-140 psi 120-140 psi 100-120 psi
>180lb (82 kg) 140-160 psi 140-160 psi 120-140 psi

·
Registered
858 Posts
You'd be crazy to think...

The fork doesnt have a weight limit, but in my opinion it's not much use to anyone over the weight of 170lbs unless they are racing on super smooth courses. Having said that I know people at or above the weight that are happy with them, but it also shows in their riding how "well" the fork preforms... And that is not very well at all.

·
Dagenham Dave
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CulBaire said:
The fork doesnt have a weight limit, but in my opinion it's not much use to anyone over the weight of 170lbs unless they are racing on super smooth courses. Having said that I know people at or above the weight that are happy with them, but it also shows in their riding how "well" the fork preforms... And that is not very well at all.
In what way does it show in their riding???

So go for the REBA Wold Cup then if you are at or above that weight (180 lbs)?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Dave V. said:
So go for the REBA Wold Cup then if you are at or above that weight (180 lbs)?
Back in the days when I used a SID, there was no Reba- and the Duke was RockShox latest, personally I went the Duke race- it was a great fork, but had some flaws. I was dead on 170lbs too, and I still didnt like the SID forks, it just doesnt track well. The SID has it's place- but personally I think it's days are very numbered withthe Reba World Cup coming in pretty light.

A Little off topic- there is away to make the SID a little less flexy, or atleast there used to be. You run 3 sets of bushings instead of 2. You have a set in the middle, as well as the lower bushings and upper bushings. I cant give details- but I've heard of it before, pretty sure Angry Asian did something similar.

·
Dagenham Dave
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CulBaire said:
Back in the days when I used a SID, there was no Reba- and the Duke was RockShox latest, personally I went the Duke race- it was a great fork, but had some flaws. I was dead on 170lbs too, and I still didnt like the SID forks, it just doesnt track well. The SID has it's place- but personally I think it's days are very numbered withthe Reba World Cup coming in pretty light.
Thanks CulBaire...

So what were the poor riding characteristics shown by a rider with SID forks?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Dave V. said:
Thanks CulBaire...

So what were the poor riding characteristics shown by a rider with SID forks?
Just hesitant over rough stuff- the two riders, one male (over 170lbs) and one female (168lbs), both very skilled technical riders, over the rough stuff though and they would be all over the place, the forks just wouldn't steer where they wanted it to and it showed.

To me- riding the SID was an unnerving feeling, you could feel it moving around while cornering hard and it just did seem sure where it wanted to go. Load up another fork my Duke Race was a good example of what the SID didn't do, you'd steer the bike and it would go where you wanted it to, with out having to finesse it too much.

Of course- the fork might be perfect for somewhere like where you guys ride, or racing. Around here the trails and race tracks are quiet rocky and technical though, and generally demand a fair bit out of equipment and rider.

There are a lot of other options out there that are much better choices- for not much weight gain, Reba World Cup, Manitou R7, Fox F80RLT (F80RL is lighter if you can get your hands on one), even the Manitou Scareb are "stiffer" than the SID forks.

·
Dagenham Dave
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CulBaire said:
Just hesitant over rough stuff- the two riders, one male (over 170lbs) and one female (168lbs), both very skilled technical riders, over the rough stuff though and they would be all over the place, the forks just wouldn't steer where they wanted it to and it showed.....
Hey CulBaire

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Happy New Year, and happy riding...

Dave V.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.