Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several mentions of sid forks listed as "extremo "or" extreme" with weights under 2 lb. Does anyone know whether there are companies that do this mod? or is it a home job?? Any details ?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
there is a guy offering these kits but i would not do any business with him!

i lost money when i sent him money for parts and never got them and it seems i wasn't the only one. that guy is also a crazy weight-weenie but to a degree where it hurts. he has a bike as light as the lightest one you see on light-bikes.com
he also had it listed and was cheating to get it on 1st place....that's why it got deleted from the moderators of light-bikes. he was a regular in german weight-weenie forums as well but got "pushed" out from the user-community since he is just not an honest guy....

anyway - he sells such kits. VERY expensive.

you can get your SID almost as light by combining parts from different years.
lowers from pre-02
carbon steerer assembly from a SID wordlcup
internals from a '00 or '01 SID race (-156g)
aluminium cantistuds (if needed) and remove the disc adapter by shaving away completely (-9g)
new colour (my black colour weighs 3g. the standard metallic blue was ca. 35g)
replace lower bolts with aluminium (-3g)

total for y fork with the above modifications: 1063g

if you have any questions just feel free to contact me for help.

or do a search in this forum. i once made a thread with the detailed description on all the modifications on my "SID Project"

i just did the search myself:
here's the SID-tuning threads:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=10111&highlight=sid+project
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=11480&highlight=sid+project

Attachments

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i have to ask....

nino said:
there is a guy offering these kits but i would not do any business with him!

i lost money when i sent him money for parts and never got them and it seems i wasn't the only one. that guy is also a crazy weight-weenie but to a degree where it hurts. he has a bike as light as the lightest one you see on light-bikes.com
he also had it listed and was cheating to get it on 1st place....that's why it got deleted from the moderators of light-bikes. he was a regular in german weight-weenie forums as well but got "pushed" out from the user-community since he is just not an honest guy....

anyway - he sells such kits. VERY expensive.

you can get your SID almost as light by combining parts from different years.
lowers from pre-02
carbon steerer assembly from a SID wordlcup
internals from a '00 or '01 SID race (-156g)
aluminium cantistuds (if needed) and remove the disc adapter by shaving away completely (-9g)
new colour (my black colour weighs 3g. the standard metallic blue was ca. 35g)
replace lower bolts with aluminium (-3g)

total for y fork with the above modifications: 1063g

if you have any questions just feel free to contact me for help.

or do a search in this forum. i once made a thread with the detailed description on all the modifications on my "SID Project"

i just did the search myself:
here's the SID-tuning threads:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=10111&highlight=sid+project
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=11480&highlight=sid+project
where do you get all the time? days must be 30hrs long in switzerland!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
naaaah....

teamdicky said:
How 'bout this fork Ralph?

What rock have you been hiding under you old weight weenie? Have you been too busy installing gold plated sinks in Tom Cruise's new mansion??
this one is lighter (dare i say the lightest?) and is mounted in my winterbike;)

Token carbon:
447g (uncut 300mm steerer)
407g (with 175mm steerer)

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
nino said:
this one is lighter (dare i say the lightest?) and is mounted in my winterbike;)
Actually my steel fork is quite portly (almost three of your forks put together).
I just didn't want to pass up on the opportunity to poke an old friend in the side. Haven't heard much from my boy in awhile, and now he's trying to lighten up his uber bike. He must have something coming up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks nino !!!

this is an excellent response nino, thank you very much!!. i did indeed search under sid but my incompetence with electronic media is exceeded only by my inability to handle a bike on downs. Do you get these older parts from rockshox directly or do you buy older units and strip them ? thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey rich!

hey buddy, what are you doing hanging out here w the multigear guys ?? great to hear from you - lost my pc to a virus - pls send me an E so i have your address again. I have transportugal coming up in june this year. Can you make it? there may be a spot or two still open. you'd be the first ss to my knowledge. this fork you show is interesting - i think ritchey makes one as well- but you forget that i cannot handle a bike. remember me walking the backside of the volcano at la ruta. i'd be over the front in minutes. also - though technically legal @ trans P - i would feel a little like i was cheating. my ti Strong frame failed - seattube @ bb shell- carl is a sweetheart and is building me a new one @ no charge. am also getting a 07 scott scaleltd. that should put me @ mid 17 lb. fire me a line man.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like that Token fork is somewhat suspension corrected. Can you fit a 29er wheel and tire in there if you run disc brakes? I have a PACE carbon fork for a 26" wheel but I run a 29" in it instead and it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.