Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing my Fox F80RL that came on my NRS with a Rock Shox fork. I am considering either the SID race or Reba race forks. I haven't used Rock Shox for a few years and had mixed feeling about it when I used the SID last. Does the new pop-logic or whatever keep the fork from diving under hard braking? The last SID I rode seamed to be very flexy, like riding a wet noodle. I have heard nothing but good about the Reba but am trying to stay a little lighter than that. I weight 165 lbs. so I am not overly hard on equiptment.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
mudrider said:
I am looking at replacing my Fox F80RL that came on my NRS with a Rock Shox fork. I am considering either the SID race or Reba race forks. I haven't used Rock Shox for a few years and had mixed feeling about it when I used the SID last. Does the new pop-logic or whatever keep the fork from diving under hard braking? The last SID I rode seamed to be very flexy, like riding a wet noodle. I have heard nothing but good about the Reba but am trying to stay a little lighter than that. I weight 165 lbs. so I am not overly hard on equiptment.
How about the REBA World Cup then? SID is the same wet noodle it has always been. There's the new R7 from Manitou with Snap Valve stable platform. Why are you replacing the F80? Maybe a trip to PUSH would be the best option?

_MK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our sponsor is helping us out but are only able to get Team level forks. I know people that have both SID and Reba forks and they really like them. I would be sold on the Reba but it is actually heavier than the Fox. Is it worth the extra weight?
Also would the 100mm of travel make the handling feel different...by changing the geometry?

·
bang
1,290 Posts
mudrider said:
Also would the 100mm of travel make the handling feel different...by changing the geometry?
it probably wouldn't steer as quickly, or in other words, wouldn't feel as "twitchy" as with an 80mm fork. but it shouldn't be a problem. just as an example, the head angle for the '04 giant nrs is the same as the head angle for an '04 specialized epic (71 degrees). specialized used both 80 and 100mm on those bikes depending on the model (now all epics have 100mm forks). the nrs also had more rear suspension travel (96mm vs 90, the epics also had sag whereas the nrs did not. current epics now have 100mm of rear travel).

light weight of the sid vs. stiffness and extra travel (if you want it) with the reba. tough choice. i went with a sid (i have an epic); we'll see if i made the right decision.

(i like putting things in commas)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.