Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm just wondering what opinions are out there for 100mm forks to go on a BXC. I built my BXC up over the winter with an existing RS REBA that I pulled off my old Titus RX frame. The steer tube on it is a bit short for the Blur (longer head tube on the Large Blur vs. Medium RX), so it's time to pull the trigger on a new fork. My choices are narrowed down to a 2010 Rock Shox Sid Race, or a 2010 Fox F32 Fit 100mm. Both forks have very similar weights, features, etc., so I'm wondering if anybody can offer any thoughts or recommendations on how these forks perform for XC riding.

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
I just came off a 2009 Epic with a SID Race and now have a 2011 Fox F100 on my Blur XC. I find the Fox fork to be a LOT better. Stiffer, and right out of the box, the damping feels much improved.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
What year model of the RS Reba did you ride previously? The '09+ are significantly different than previous years. On my BXCc I am running a 09 Reba Team with blackbox, and it is a huge jump from my F120 RLC! Significantly stiffer, I am getting about 1-1.5" more travel out of the fork than I did on my Fox, and it seems to be more intuitive to bumps. I have not been able to try the F RLC FIT which are significantly lighter and have completely different internals so I do not know how to compare.

One thing that I do notice is that the Rebas at 120mm seem to utilize the travel better than in 80/100 mode. I think there is a noticable plushness over the Sid with this setup eventhough they carry the same dampening (assuming you invest into the Team model that has blackbox) Big upgrade from the race!

I would say if you get a chance to try out a Fox RLC FIT, do so because they dropped a lot of weight, but I wouldn't personally go with anything below the team model (rockshox) if you have a lot of technical singletrack, you will love the extra smoothness, it is noticeable!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I went from a 08 Fox F100 RLC on my BXC (alloy) to a 09 SID World Cup and its safe to say the SID blows the F100 away, but this doesnt surprise me, I have a had a 05 reba since new and its one of the best forks I owned.

RS > Fox

·
Registered
11 Posts
Singletracks magazine just tested bunch of 100mm race forks in their latest magazine (http://www.singletrackworld.com). Fox F100 RLC FIT was the recommended fork, only negative thing they could find was the price. SID World Cup also got very good review, although they recommend SID Team instead; a lot cheaper and not that much heavier.

All the tested forks were 2010 models, so I think all the Fox 2011 FIT -damper models also get the new Kashima coating on the stanchions.

NOTE: I have not ridden any of these forks, I just read the article and found it interesting. Maybe someday I will get shorter traveled XC bike :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
VERT1 said:
I went from a 08 Fox F100 RLC on my BXC (alloy) to a 09 SID World Cup and its safe to say the SID blows the F100 away, but this doesnt surprise me, I have a had a 05 reba since new and its one of the best forks I owned.

RS > Fox

I also went from fox to RS and RS is better...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dubdryver said:
What year model of the RS Reba did you ride previously? The '09+ are significantly different than previous years. On my BXCc I am running a 09 Reba Team with blackbox, and it is a huge jump from my F120 RLC! Significantly stiffer, I am getting about 1-1.5" more travel out of the fork than I did on my Fox, and it seems to be more intuitive to bumps. I have not been able to try the F RLC FIT which are significantly lighter and have completely different internals so I do not know how to compare.

One thing that I do notice is that the Rebas at 120mm seem to utilize the travel better than in 80/100 mode. I think there is a noticable plushness over the Sid with this setup eventhough they carry the same dampening (assuming you invest into the Team model that has blackbox) Big upgrade from the race!

I would say if you get a chance to try out a Fox RLC FIT, do so because they dropped a lot of weight, but I wouldn't personally go with anything below the team model (rockshox) if you have a lot of technical singletrack, you will love the extra smoothness, it is noticeable!

I am currently running a '06 Reba Race. It has been a good fork... no complaints, but it's time for some new technology and a new look on the new BXCc. Thanks for the feedback regarding the Team vs. the Race version of the RS. I wasn't aware that the Team was that significant of an upgrade over the Race. I was looking at the Sid Race. At this point, I am leaning toward trying out the Fox... unless I can find a deal on a Sid Team (<$550).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm going through the same debate as i look forward to building up a BXCc. The consensus here seems to be much what i was coming to - SID over F100.

to me it seems like both are good forks with good compression dampening, weight, stiffness etc on the upper models at least, priced similar depending on what deals you get. The deciding factor for me is that fox forks have a reputation for only using 80% of their travel. In a 100mm fork that is unacceptable - 80mm of usable travel is pretty limited.

Then again, fox say "For 2011, we improved air spring curves throughout the F-Series lineup, allowing more usable travel with lower compression ratios." Too soon to know how much truth there is in that...

still awaiting full details of 2011 RS line - not unreasonable since its the middle of 2010!

it is interesting that SC themselves say re the 2010/11 build kits "We re not spec'ing the Sid this year as we didn't really have much demand for them last year". although the RS monarch is still the standard rear shock.

perhaps the RS SID rider is the sort of person to do a custom build rather than an OEM kit... for whatever that means! Fox do seem to be the most popular OEM option around on higher-end bikes - doesn't necessarily mean they're the best but i guess its what people expect to see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts