Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In regards to the latest of each (Sid 35 120mm vs the SC 34 Factory now tapered on the inside at rotor)....Interested in Experience.
We all know these are not hyper plush forks and designed for a sporty feel.
That said, I'd like to know what one can be adjusted more comfortable on roots. I have a a sid select + and seems very firm even when adjusted with more sag etc. I had an older step cast and was hoping this may be more compliant but may have gone backwards.
Trying to decide to buy Newest Factory SC or go up to a 130 Grip 2. I prefer racier bike but if there is minimal difference I'd go 130.
Epic Evo owner with bad shoulder and neck but race spirit :)

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
The new sids have very limited turning capability and appear to be having reliability issues. They are designed with weight as their first priority. You don’t say your weight, but I would be inclined towards a non-stepcast 34 with the grip. Plusher and can run a DSD Runt to play with the spring curve if you want.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I have a a sid select + and seems very firm even when adjusted with more sag etc.

Trying to decide to buy Newest Factory SC or go up to a 130 Grip 2. I prefer racier bike but if there is minimal difference I'd go 130.

Epic Evo owner with bad shoulder and neck but race spirit :)
I have a Grip2, but in a 140. At my weight and given my riding style, I found that I was able to remove the spacers and got a really nice ride out of it (Utah).
In addition, I got Fasst Flexx handlebars thinking they'd be a good addition for my Moab trips.
They are amazing, and well worth the 200 gram penalty!
Anyway, one option, unless you're a dedicated weight weenie would be to keep the fork you have and put the Fasst Flexx bars on. They're pricey, but they are amazing and would work well for someone with shoulder problems. 3 downsides: they're heavy, they're pricey and they come in at 800mm width with a 31.8 clamp. The absorption is somewhat dependent on leverage, so cutting them back can have some affect, though I haven't noticed a problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you
Hopefully feedback helpful to all but in my case. I am 175lbs, Northeast roots, XC background and not full weight weenie but I do look at weights given XC background. I run 31.8 bars and narrow by today standards. I'd say leaning toward std 34 but bike was designed for a 100 or 120 and not sure I want to over fork.
Does anyone have experience in the NEW sc34 vs the New SID 35 120?
Thanks again for the ideas -

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Thank you
Hopefully feedback helpful to all but in my case. I am 175lbs, Northeast roots, XC background and not full weight weenie but I do look at weights given XC background. I run 31.8 bars and narrow by today standards. I'd say leaning toward std 34 but bike was designed for a 100 or 120 and not sure I want to over fork.
Does anyone have experience in the NEW sc34 vs the New SID 35 120?
Thanks again for the ideas -
Okay. In that case, I'd go to a Grip 2 (Fox 34) in whatever travel you choose. It's a definite step up in adjustability and comfort over the Fit 4.
FWIW, I rode last year's Pike Ultimate and found it to be harsh in comparison (I've not ridden a SID).
Adding or removing spacers is usually a very uncomplicated 2 minute process, so I'd start there. In any case, if you get a new fork, that applies as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 for GRIP 2 (mine is last years regular 34)...alas i don't think its available (and suspect its not comparable) with the stepcast. Traditionally weight focused forks (and frames for that matter) do not put a priority on small bump compliance. If you're interested in small bump compliance you may need to broaden your search (or i'm betting the SC34 could be custom tuned...)

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1 for GRIP 2 (mine is last years regular 34)...alas i don't think its available (and suspect its not comparable) with the stepcast. Traditionally weight focused forks (and frames for that matter) do not put a priority on small bump compliance. If you're interested in small bump compliance you may need to broaden your search (or i'm betting the SC34 could be custom tuned...)
The latest 34 SC Performance is using GRIP damper (factory is FIT4 with 8mm shaft). BTW, be aware that VVC GRIP2 behaves quite differently than previous non-VVC GRIP2.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
The latest 34 SC Performance is using GRIP damper (factory is FIT4 with 8mm shaft). BTW, be aware that VVC GRIP2 behaves quite differently than previous non-VVC GRIP2.
Yeah. I originally had the grip, which I thought was pretty good. I haven't ridden the Fit 4, but have not heard great things about it. I think the Grip 2 (VVC) is really effective.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have had the original step cast 120(previous bike); I had the GRIP and factory fit 4. I should have probably stayed with grip. Now I am looking at the new factory step cast 120 assuming its better, fox 34 130 or 120 or GRIP 2 130.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have had the original step cast 120; I had the GRIP and factory fit 4. I should have probably stayed with grip. Now I am looking at the new factory step cast 120 assuming its better, fox 34 130 or 120 or GRIP 2 130.
I have a 2017 regular 34 FIT4 with Vorsprung Fractive Tune and love it.

SC FIT4 always has 8mm shaft, and 2019 regular Fox 34 moves to that as well. It's not compatible with Fractive Tune, but Dougal seems could do extra modification to make that combo work.

Non-VVC GRIP2 (as seen in 36) seems matches heavier aggressive rider best, and VVC GRIP2 seems reduce the compression damping "a lot", with high unit to unit variation. The GRIP2 comes on 34 is always the VVC version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.