Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got up this morning, and was going to do an endurance ride. When I got up, I was feeling slightly off (not really sick, but something not quite right). As I was eating my pre-ride oatmeal, I started feeling nauseous, and then threw up. After I threw up I felt fine, if not still a little nauseous. I really wanted to ride, but decided to give my body a break, and stay home. My question is, do you think that resting was a good call, or would it have been OK to ride? What do you consider your limits for riding when you don't feel good?

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
Huh, funny, I was the same way yesterday. Had a sore throat the last couple days and feelign not quite right either. I went out for a easy ride and started feeling better afterwards. My throat is still a bit sore and I don't feel 100 percent. I'd think rest would probably be a good idea. I'm taking the next couple days off to recover.

·
i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
nc-rider said:
So I got up this morning, and was going to do an endurance ride. When I got up, I was feeling slightly off (not really sick, but something not quite right). As I was eating my pre-ride oatmeal, I started feeling nauseous, and then threw up. After I threw up I felt fine, if not still a little nauseous. I really wanted to ride, but decided to give my body a break, and stay home. My question is, do you think that resting was a good call, or would it have been OK to ride? What do you consider your limits for riding when you don't feel good?
as a rule of thumb....if i puke, i stay home. :D

unless you're getting paid to ride there really is no reason to get out an train, IMO. training when you're sick is a good way to make you sicker for longer. let your body recover and you'll be back sooner and stronger.

rt

·
XC rider
278 Posts
I think short and easy rides might be auk but endurance training can lower your immune system and increase the likelihood of secondary infections on top of your existing cold. I seem to always push it to hard during winter colds and end up with bronchitis which lingers for weeks. This last time my doctor encouraged me to take a break from the training and gave me some antibiotics.

Get well soon, take it easy until your better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I'm feeling even a little sick...I don't go. I've gotten sinus infections from training through small colds (I think that's what happened at least). But take vitamin C and you'll be alright. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
355 Posts
guess it a common cold that I just got over. Went on shorter rides but kept up a level of effort. It didin't bother me and seemed to help by stressing the body. If the cold goes into my head then I don't ride.

·
Registered
12,026 Posts
I would ride after puking only if it was a hangover puke (serves me right).

I had a pretty good cold weather hack last year, that evetually got down into my lungs.

Cleaned up with flonaze, and antibiotic, 2 doctors told me to keep riding and I did.

This year, I have avoided the hack, by using my neck warmer at oh say colder than -13 C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.