Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grizzled old Colorado rider looking for break from snow...

I'm thinking of heading to either Maui or Kaui in June. Probably rent a bike since luggin' the 5-Spot is too much trouble (factor in wife + 2 girls!). So I have several questions; is either island better for mountain biking? (easy on the flame throwin i'm just asking) Also, any good bike shops where I can rent a full suspension rig?

I like to climb & prefer fairly technical. Like all sane mountain biker I really like to descend more than climb so sweet, curving, adventerous single track preferred.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the sun & enjoying some warm weather:cool: . Also, due to the incredibly large amounts of snow in the CO foothills (approx 6 feet at my house since 12/19) I'll probably be quite pale & out of shape!:confused:

em

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
I lived on Kauai for 9 years, been on Maui for 6 and I think there's probably a little more riding to choose from on Maui. I'm not bagging on Kauai because I love it there and have lots of great friends there, but with all the new stuff happening here I gotta give the edge to the Valley Isle. If you're more country and outdoor oriented Kauai is great but there's more non-cycling urban type activities on Maui too. One of my best friends in the world has a bike shop on Kauai (The Bike Doktor in Hanalei) and does rent bikes (sometimes) but there is a shop here that rents (mostly Kona) AM type bikes (Crater Cycles).

You'll have a great time on either island.

Aloha

·
Registered
556 Posts
For locals, there's some good biking to be found, but Kauai's not what I'd call a mountain bike friendly vacation destination. We pimp the outdoor vacation concept but we really want you to go on a $98 coast down the road. http://www.outfitterskauai.com/bikedown.html

Maui is a better family vacation spot and the small amount of riding I did there was killer... looking foward to a return trip actually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.