Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
TommyKnocker said:
It is a 470mm 29"er fork from QBP. Supposedly 615 grams. I have one ordered!!!!!!!
-t
You may want to double check that.....the first batch QBP received were definitely too short.

I want one in a bad way if they've finally wised up and got the length correct!

B

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How much do you weight?

I had a 26" version and it was scary flexy. It was disc brake style and with a handful of brake it would tuck under at least 2". I sold it on ebay and replace with a on-one which was heavier but rides better. But if they have fixed that problem or you are very light you may love it. I have a 26" canti Mazerk Ti fork that was almost the same weight as the Sibex but was much stiffer so it can be done.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
donkey said:
You may want to double check that.....the first batch QBP received were definitely too short.

B
Yup, I just checked....sibex still has their head stuck up there:)

It measures at 430mm.

What in the world is Sibex thinking? What in the world is quality thinking stocking these? The monkey and the dosniner require 470mm.......not sure what we're supposed to do with a 430mm fork?

It looks to me like they moved the bosses on their 26inch fork...the lengths are the same.

Too bad.

B

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
jfkbike2 said:
I had a 26" version and it was scary flexy. It was disc brake style and with a handful of brake it would tuck under at least 2". I sold it on ebay and replace with a on-one which was heavier but rides better. But if they have fixed that problem or you are very light you may love it. I have a 26" canti Mazerk Ti fork that was almost the same weight as the Sibex but was much stiffer so it can be done.
"scary flexy" is right. A friend (5'10 / 160 pounds?) had one on a Voodoo cross bike and when the front brake was applied, by the 160 pound rider, it "shimied/vibrated" several inches from front to rear. It was scary to brake on a flat paved surface. I couldn't image riding it off road.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
i saw one in person when having my 29er built up a month or two ago and it was a lot shorter than the 470mm walt works fork i had with me. It was also a LOT more flexible than the walt works was.

i don't think i would ever consider using one of those unless they make it stronger.

fwiw, it was really light.

·
Registered
314 Posts
donkey said:

B
Just spoke to QBP...axle to crown is in fact 470. I will get mine next week and will dispel or prove any theories as to the length, stifness and so on then...I too have tried 29" Ti forks that nearly touched the down tube under breaking, hopefully these guys aren't idiots and actually tried the product before selling them.

-tom

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
endure26 said:
Anyone using a Sibex fork? How do you like it? Quality ok? Ride?

Thinking about one for the new Dean Colonel 29er I have on order (if they ever get it freakin built and shipped).

Thanks in advance...
i have heard, from two different ti builders, that the box crown/segmented sibex forks (like the one pictured) are made my xacd. xacd is the same company who makes the spicer forks.

the sibex cx unicrown fork is made in russia.

so...if you're looking for a segmented sibex fork, save yourself ALOT of cash and call gene spicer. you can customize your order with gene too.

i'd just get a walt or wily fork. they may be about 350g or so heavier, but they ride great, cost less and are MUCH more durable. i have a walt fork on my 29er and a spicer ti fork on my crosser. i will be giving [email protected] a call today to get a steel cx fork ordered up.

cheers!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
TommyKnocker said:
Just spoke to QBP...axle to crown is in fact 470. I will get mine next week and will dispel or prove any theories as to the length, stifness and so on then...I too have tried 29" Ti forks that nearly touched the down tube under breaking, hopefully these guys aren't idiots and actually tried the product before selling them.

-tom
I guess they ought to update their website....

B

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The info on QBP is very inconclusive, on one product line they speak of both 430mm and 47 a-c.
Offset is 45mm, nice.
But at that price, a must have? If you can find someone to sell it for $400, that's already extremely "cheap". Or maybe there are cheaper distri's for it than QBP. Maybe also it's just me who's being cheap.
What does Spicer charge again, for a custom Ti?

·
Registered
53 Posts
430. I measured the three we had at the Q today. They weren't in our stock though, they were in the defect bin to go back to Sibex. They're not broken, just not quite right so we're shooting them back to Russia, with love. Too easy to pass up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.