Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I also wouldn't put Dean and Sibex in the same category. Made in the USA vs. Made in Russia.

Dean has recently raised their prices too. According to the website, a Colonel 29er now goes for $1,950 (Eccentric Bottom Bracket add $150 and Slider Modular Dropouts add $200). Although they used to be significantly more affordable than other USA made titanium builders, two grand for a titanium frame isn't too far off the mark from a lot of other small Ti builders.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And there are no quality concerns with Dean???

one1spede: I think it would be safe to say that there are also quality concerns (among many other concerns) with Dean!!!!! All I am saying is there is a new kid on the block that makes a cheaper Ti frame--will their frames have quality issues, maybe. But it seems like when you order a dean you are also rolling the dice---now more expensive dice...

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
CJones said:
I also wouldn't put Dean and Sibex in the same category. Made in the USA vs. Made in Russia.

Dean has recently raised their prices too. According to the website, a Colonel 29er now goes for $1,950 (Eccentric Bottom Bracket add $150 and Slider Modular Dropouts add $200). Although they used to be significantly more affordable than other USA made titanium builders, two grand for a titanium frame isn't too far off the mark from a lot of other small Ti builders.
You've got to be kidding me.....$1950 for a dean!?!

I'd imagine that will drive a few customers away...

B

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Sibex has had that same picture on their website with "specs coming soon" since Interbike 2004. I guess the specs are still coming soon?

Last I checked they still didn't have a handle on what suspension corrected means.....they were somewhere in the neighborhood of 430mm on their forks!?

B

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
twelve_volt_man said:
one1spede: I think it would be safe to say that there are also quality concerns (among many other concerns) with Dean!!!!! All I am saying is there is a new kid on the block that makes a cheaper Ti frame--will their frames have quality issues, maybe. But it seems like when you order a dean you are also rolling the dice---now more expensive dice...
I have a Dean.

I don't think that the odds are anywhere near the same with regard to quality control. The main problem with Dean is time, it takes longer than they say to get a frame usually. I had a Reba/downtube interferance problem on my first frame. The second has been spot on. Failures are not anything I worry about with Dean. At least no more so than any other brand anyway. Also, if you have a warranty issue, they are easy to get a hold of and get stuff worked out. I have not heard that about Sibex. I know that Donkey is anti-Dean because of his experience but I would go through them again to get a ti frame. But I agree the new price increase is steep.

As far as the price going up....if you have to pay almost $300 for a freakin' Jones bar, $1900 doesn't seem out of line entirely. Ti prices have been going up and up and up obviously.

But this is supposed to be about Sibex. I think you have to consider a lot more downside than any US made brand...so it better be cheap

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not trying to throw stones here..

I am just saying hey, Sibex----Admittedly, I have also been screwed by Dean, waiting for 8 months + no bike = canceled order--while people I know waited about three weeks to get a frame delivered--hell I even lived in boulder at the time. I know more than a few people--Cat 2 types who, with no affilation with Dean-order a frame get a pro deal wait three weeks and have a frame--just bad darn business--but this is about Sibex

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
twelve_volt_man said:
I am just saying hey, Sibex----Admittedly, I have also been screwed by Dean, waiting for 8 months + no bike = canceled order--while people I know waited about three weeks to get a frame delivered--hell I even lived in boulder at the time. I know more than a few people--Cat 2 types who, with no affilation with Dean-order a frame get a pro deal wait three weeks and have a frame--just bad darn business--but this is about Sibex
Maybe the guys at Dean just hate you.:p

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
bobway said:
I would definitely buy a russian/eastern european wherever made ti frame before ever dealing with DEAN again.:eek:
Sounds like you guys should start that dean thread. I might be more interesting than many other threads. Hatin' on anything always gets the posts going.

I already said my piece regarding Dean, they have done alright by me.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Just when you order your sweet new Dean, get in writing that you shall get a discount of $100 for every full week it takes them longer than promised.
Seems fair, for a $1900 frame-only?

Most Deans I read about would have been free of charge.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
this whole sibex fork bashing thing is getting old too!

from what i hear they made a real crappy batch of forks a while back that broke frequently; everything since then hold up just fine.... anyone see adam craig in the new BIKE magazine with a sibex on his giant singlespeed? i highly doubt he'd ride a crappy fork he's not even getting paid to ride.

i als just watched a buddy of mine do a ridiculous log hop with his sibex ti last weeek. he fully cased the front end of the bike into the ground twice before making it.

after seeing that, i have no doubt that newer sibex forks are quality construction...

·
Registered
51 Posts
If they were alone...

It isn't as if Dean is the only builder that ever ran behind.Time to get over it. I ordered a relatively stock Dean through a shop, took a bit longer to get than anticipated but worth the wait. They were good about communicating with the shop. I've experienced a very responsive Dean in my own communications with them.

Many custom frames or even stock frames take time to get. Just have to decide if the wait is worth it for you. If a company has a history of running behind, it generally isn't a secret and take it into account before you put your deposit down.

Sometimes suppliers run behind, machines break, people go on vacation, your communication gets lost. Not much different than any other industry.

My first full sus. frame was WAY late. It was a STOCK, PRODUCTION frame from a name bike company.On its trip across the country the transport vehicle was in an accident and my frame was among the casualties. It was over six months from order to delivery. Hear any company names getting bashed here? Stuff happens. Roll with it.

As far as Sibex v Dean v fill in the blank. Gather info, opinions (and we all have em) and then go make your decision. Hopefully it will be a future filled with huge smiles and big grins as you ride.

Ride 29! Enjoy the dirt.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
R32 said:
It isn't as if Dean is the only builder that ever ran behind.Time to get over it. I ordered a relatively stock Dean through a shop, took a bit longer to get than anticipated but worth the wait. They were good about communicating with the shop. I've experienced a very responsive Dean in my own communications with them.

Many custom frames or even stock frames take time to get. Just have to decide if the wait is worth it for you. If a company has a history of running behind, it generally isn't a secret and take it into account before you put your deposit down.

Sometimes suppliers run behind, machines break, people go on vacation, your communication gets lost. Not much different than any other industry.

My first full sus. frame was WAY late. It was a STOCK, PRODUCTION frame from a name bike company.On its trip across the country the transport vehicle was in an accident and my frame was among the casualties. It was over six months from order to delivery. Hear any company names getting bashed here? Stuff happens. Roll with it.

As far as Sibex v Dean v fill in the blank. Gather info, opinions (and we all have em) and then go make your decision. Hopefully it will be a future filled with huge smiles and big grins as you ride.

Ride 29! Enjoy the dirt.
For me.....it wasn't JUST the fact that the frame was late. The problem was the fact that I was lied to for weeks on end.....and we're not talking about exaggerations....we're talking full fledged lies here.

Some of my favorites:

Dean: Your frame is tacked up waiting for finish welds
Truth: They didn't have a bottom bracket shell yet.

Dean: Your frame is currently with Spectrum for powdercoat
Me: It's a Ti frame and I'm not having it painted...
Dean: .....silence....click...hung up the phone on me(no kidding)

Yeah....those are some of my favorites:)

B

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
sibex/spicer...

max-a-mill said:
this whole sibex fork bashing thing is getting old too!

i als just watched a buddy of mine do a ridiculous log hop with his sibex ti last weeek. he fully cased the front end of the bike into the ground twice before making it.

after seeing that, i have no doubt that newer sibex forks are quality construction...
i dunno if sibex are the same folks who make spicer forks, but....

i had a spicer ordered up for my lobster in a 470mm axle to crown length. took it off after five rides because it was just real wiggly. braking, it could flex so far that the front wheel would almost touch the downtube.

after removing it, i found that it had taken close to a centimeter set/bend backwards, with some interesting ripples in the upper legs.

now, i don't know if sibex make the spicer forks. but i do know that gene has them made somewhere else, and that they sure do look a lot like the sibex forks. and, given the overwhelming number of photos floating around on here showing sibex's all snapped off, i would be leery of one unless they basically doubled the wall thickness of the legs they were using.

but hey, it's your dental work...

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
donkey said:
For me.....it wasn't JUST the fact that the frame was late. The problem was the fact that I was lied to for weeks on end.....and we're not talking about exaggerations....we're talking full fledged lies here.

Some of my favorites:

Dean: Your frame is tacked up waiting for finish welds
Truth: They didn't have a bottom bracket shell yet.

Dean: Your frame is currently with Spectrum for powdercoat
Me: It's a Ti frame and I'm not having it painted...
Dean: .....silence....click...hung up the phone on me(no kidding)

Yeah....those are some of my favorites:)

B
I guess I would be a little bitter too.

I could be bitter too about my first experience
Mine was about 6 weeks or more late. I was told it would not be a flexy flyer...it was. I was told the Reba would clear, it did if I took off the very top silver flood gate know....

But, I guess unlike you they were very accomodating on their fixes. They responded to my emails and calls quickly. The second frame sent to replace the noodly first frame was spot on. It feels like it was went for me. Now with the rigid fork I am having a blast. That goes a long way toward helping me to forget the pissed off feeling I had back in January when the first one arrived.

I think that your other ti bikes probably made up for your crappy Dean experience. You have some sweet stuff.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Law said:
I think that your other ti bikes probably made up for your crappy Dean experience. You have some sweet stuff.
Heck yeah...I'm super happy with my 2 Strongs and the Moots......no regrets whatsoever. In fact....I'm kinda glad I got the runaround...otherwise I probably never would have purchased my Ti Strong.

B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.