Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got into this sport over 16 years ago (well, much longer but talking as a daily thing) and I honestly wonder if I would have had I ridden the trails that caught my attention back then in their present condition. Shuttle services have absolutely destroyed the local trails here. The problem doesn't appear to be the volume of riders but rather the type of rider that uses these services. It seems anyone with $6k burning a hole in their pocket (and no interest in spending the time to learn how to ride a bike) can be deposited at the top of a mountain and sent on their way without so much as a suggestion that they should actually try to ride the goddamned trail. Instead they drag their rear wheel down the entire trail creating HUGE moguls one could half bury beach balls in, and since they have no idea how to bail when going off trail they take the trail with them.
Of course the shuttles don't care; it's a volume business and their ignorant clientele don't know the trails are now absolute ****. The flow is gone and there is no interest among those who destroyed it to fix it. It's a classic tradgedy of the commons. Every hiker also now blames mtbikers for trail damage, and I don't blame them.
The only ridable trails left are the few that can't be shuttled (which I have to drive to get to). The whole situation is FUBAR.

Administrator edit: Added photo for front featured thread status

·
Administrator
12,432 Posts
I got into this sport over 16 years ago (well, much longer but talking as a daily thing) and I honestly wonder if I would have had I ridden the trails that caught my attention back then in their present condition. Shuttle services have absolutely destroyed the local trails here. The problem doesn't appear to be the volume of riders but rather the type of rider that uses these services. It seems anyone with $6k burning a hole in their pocket (and no interest in spending the time to learn how to ride a bike) can be deposited at the top of a mountain and sent on their way without so much as a suggestion that they should actually try to ride the goddamned trail. Instead they drag their rear wheel down the entire trail creating HUGE moguls one could half bury beach balls in, and since they have no idea how to bail when going off trail they take the trail with them.
Of course the shuttles don't care; it's a volume business and their ignorant clientele don't know the trails are now absolute ****. The flow is gone and there is no interest among those who destroyed it to fix it. It's a classic tradgedy of the commons. Every hiker also now blames mtbikers for trail damage, and I don't blame them.
The only ridable trails left are the few that can't be shuttled (which I have to drive to get to). The whole situation is FUBAR.
Where are you at?

I agree as a skier that the influx of new users with means but without training or care have made our local hill's blue and green trails much more terrifying. The hills are happy letting them ride or ski and the old guard are migrating away from the hills for this reason.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are you at?

I agree as a skier that the influx of new users with means but without training or care have made our local hill's blue and green trails much more terrifying. The hills are happy letting them ride or ski and the old guard are migrating away from the hills for this reason.
At least skiiers have options if they can still skin up a mountain and there are fresh pow days locals can get to before the crowds. The damage I'm talking about is perennial. No natural event can fix it

·
Oh, So Interesting!
6,066 Posts
Yeah, mtb is going to have more growth issues after growing so much... and the appearance of eMTBs.

I hope, like skiing, they stay confined to $hit trails I don't want to ride anyways. :)

The biggest issue I've seen is actually hikers finding some off-the-map mtb trails and thinking mtb's should yield to them on our own trails. Some have required a re-education and told that they are not the primary users of this trail system and they need to yield to mtbs. :) Others have attempted to hike up steep double-black trails that are clearly not hiking trails at all, I have to wonder wtf they are thinking sometimes. Luckily, these hikers seem to be vastly reduced in number since last summer.

·
Administrator
12,432 Posts
At least skiiers have options if they can still skin up a mountain and there are fresh pow days locals can get to before the crowds. The damage I'm talking about is perennial. No natural event can fix it
agreed, though certainly shuttle trails always have these issues even pre-noob influx. They usually require fairly labor intensive trail days and reconstruction. Who ever is maintaining these trails will eventually either stop maintaining them or complain to the land owner/manager regarding the shuttles. The inevitability of overuse on trails is always present.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Oak Ridge - West Virginia
Oak Ridge - Virginia
Oak Ridge - Texas
Oak Ridge - Tennessee
Oak Ridge - South Carolina
Oak Ridge - Pennsylvania
Oak Ridge - Oklahoma
Oak Ridge - Ohio
Oak Ridge - North Carolina
Oak Ridge - New York
Oak Ridge - New Jersey
Oak Ridge - Missouri
Oak Ridge - Mississippi
Oak Ridge - Michigan
Oak Ridge - Maryland
Oak Ridge - Maine
Oak Ridge - Louisiana
Oak Ridge - Kentucky
Oak Ridge - Illinois
Oak Ridge - Georgia
Oak Ridge - Florida
Oak Ridge - Arkansas
Oak Ridge - Alabama

·
Administrator
12,432 Posts
Oak Ridge - West Virginia
Oak Ridge - Virginia
Oak Ridge - Texas
Oak Ridge - Tennessee
Oak Ridge - South Carolina
Oak Ridge - Pennsylvania
Oak Ridge - Oklahoma
Oak Ridge - Ohio
Oak Ridge - North Carolina
Oak Ridge - New York
Oak Ridge - New Jersey
Oak Ridge - Missouri
Oak Ridge - Mississippi
Oak Ridge - Michigan
Oak Ridge - Maryland
Oak Ridge - Maine
Oak Ridge - Louisiana
Oak Ridge - Kentucky
Oak Ridge - Illinois
Oak Ridge - Georgia
Oak Ridge - Florida
Oak Ridge - Arkansas
Oak Ridge - Alabama
Oakridge is like Springfield. One in almost every state, excluding HI and AK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could literally ride these trails 100 times and do less damage than one shuttle trip. I have zero incentive to fix a trail that will take a couple weekends to re-****-up. The shuttles are doing 95% of the damage and don't do anything except cut out the odd log (bfd). The massive holes aren't affecting their bottom line so why should they care?
Basically the shuttles have taken over. Maybe the USFS can be convinced to allow non-shuttle trails to be made? It's the only realistic solution coming to mind.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.