Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Selway shuttle bunny needs trail ideas

here's the potential plan. I'm most likely the shuttle driver for an upcoming, pre-permit season trip on the Selway that my hubby, sons and a few friend will do. I'm thinking I'll drop them off (paradise rgr station) and then take my time moseying on over Lolo Pass and eventually picking them up at the takeout above Selway Falls three or four days later. I just throw my bike on the raft trailer.

Either you know where-all I'm talking about by now or you are clueless.
So, I'm looking for trail recommendations en route. I should have about three days to explore. I know there's not much in the Lochsa Canyon, but heading towards Montana way, up over the pass, up towards the Selway etc ??? (Paradise, Magruder Station, Lolo Pass...) Hubby thinks there might be a nice trail up along the Selway at the put in. And yes, I prefer my bike to Class 4 any day. BTDT.

So, good ideas anyone? :D It's really too bad that the river trail along the Selway above the falls is wilderness... that would be a freaking awesome bike ride....

Formica

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
ummm...

Kelly Creek area? haven't ridden there but it's on my short list for this Spring. everyone I know who's ridden it loves it. the big bonus is if you're a trout fisherman, the fish in there are plentiful and, from all reports, gullible.

BTW, Formica, on the Stateline Trail pics we posted recently, my buddy Sam Hall's framebuilding company web page has some nice images from there too.

check it out (frame gallery is where they are): www.ramblumtick.com

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Kelly Creek is cool, but that is farther off the hiway than I think I want to go in. I'll be hauling an empty raft trailer. I've ridden 9 miles up that trail. If anyone every does it, take along a water filter. The trail is on the s face of the canyon, and it gets freaking hot in there. It's a trippy ride: the tread is a really old pack trail, deep into the surface. You have to really work to keep your line and not hit the side of it in places. It's worth it to make it to the first meadow tho. :cool:

I couldn't find any pics in a frame gallery, just the one on the gallery page, no scenery?

Here's some pics

Attachments

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gonzostrike said:
nice hucks. ;)
those were a lifesaver.
Update: he's gotten on a trip with six other folks so I won't be shuttling. Darn, in a way. Since there werern't any trail recommendation for me, I would have done the usual: packed the Montana and Idaho gazetter, checked out relevant hiking guides from the library, and then as we got into the different area, stopped by the ranger station and see what little trail guides are put out at the district level. ( usually the rec guys do a little handout thingy) Add in your forest travel info, which tells you what trails are open to which users, and you are good to go.

I've found that hiking guide make great references, usually any "easy" hiking trail is an awesome bike ride. ( Kelly Creek, for example)

formica

·
Salad Days
762 Posts
formica said:
Since there werern't any trail recommendation for me . .
What you really should have done is gotten some beta from Chad about riding in the Bitteroot Valley and probably done a side trip up Pattee Canyon or Blue mountain in Missoula before heading up highway 12. It would have been a great time. You should do it anyways.

I have shuttled that stretch before, only it was when my parents hiked it. I remember getting some good rally driving practice on the long dirt road to Paridise. . .

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it still could happen in one way or another.. you guys all know by know I love to explore.
This particular trip was one of those ones where the plan was changing every 3 hours At first he was going to take our boys, now he's going with friends. My part of the brainstorm was
"Hey, I'll shuttle you, let me bring my bike and scare up a buddy..."

next time, I guess.
formica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.