Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can’t even believe what an awesome day we had riding Oakridge today. Easily top ten all time. You guys have something very special here.
Thirty three miles.
2400’ of climbing.
13000’ of descending
Hero dirt.
Lawler, Hardesty, Larison, and Dead Mountain (Yes they just opened it this afternoon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Add Alpine to your list & that was our intro to Oakridge. Miles of Smiles.
I can't tell for sure by the pics, but it looks like you did the spur off Lawler to Roland's Bench. True?
Look forward to hearing more reports

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Add Alpine to your list & that was our intro to Oakridge. Miles of Smiles.
I can't tell for sure by the pics, but it looks like you did the spur off Lawler to Roland's Bench. True?
Look forward to hearing more reports
Yes, we did ride up the spur to the bench before dropping Lawler. Beautiful views up there.

We would’ve done Alpine if it had been open. Gives us an excuse to go back.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So we were in Bellingham Friday afternoon after riding Galbraith ( and not being totally blown away by it) and deciding what to ride Saturday on the last day of our trip and we decided to call Cogwild and see if by some chance the Alpine trail had opened back up and….. it had, just three hours previous to our call!

……But they were all booked.

We were about to settle for an early quick loop on Chuckanut when we remembered Trans Cascadia also did shuttles. Quick call and we were booked for noon shuttle for ACTA!

Wow, what a great ride.! We had to get up like at 4:00am to make it from B’ham to Oakridge, but so glad we did. The trails were in hero dirt shape and the skies were blue and we hooted and hollered the whole way (well, maybe not so much on the NF 130 climb, ha ha).

So glad we were able to finish our trip with this classic trail.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,980 Posts
So we were in Bellingham Friday afternoon after riding Galbraith ( and not being totally blown away by it) and deciding what to ride Saturday on the last day of our trip and we decided to call Cogwild and see if by some chance the Alpine trail had opened back up and….. it had, just three hours previous to our call!

……But they were all booked.

We were about to settle for an early quick loop on Chuckanut when we remembered Trans Cascadia also did shuttles. Quick call and we were booked for noon shuttle for ACTA!

Wow, what a great ride.! We had to get up like at 4:00am to make it from B’ham to Oakridge, but so glad we did. The trails were in hero dirt shape and the skies were blue and we hooted and hollered the whole way (well, maybe not so much on the NF 130 climb, ha ha).

So glad we were able to finish our trip with this classic trail.

Oh good, you got that slug off the trail. :)

Gladja duggit!
=sParty

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh good, you got that slug off the trail. :)

Gladja duggit!
=sParty
Ha ha. Yeah I looked down once when we stopped for a break and there he was. Not sure how he got there. He stayed attached for most of the Tire Mountain descent. Wondered if a slug had ever gone that fast or seen the trail from that perspective.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Ha ha. Yeah I looked down once when we stopped for a break and there he was. Not sure how he got there. He stayed attached for most of the Tire Mountain descent. Wondered if a slug had ever gone that fast or seen the trail from that perspective.
So not too impressed with Bham? How much did that have to do with earningr your turns?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So not too impressed with Bham? How much did that have to do with earningr your turns?
I think it was more about just not having enough time to explore as much of it as possible and the round about contouring route we took down after climbing clear to the top. The climbing trails are really nicely graded and interesting. The road parts less interesting obviously. We did do Scorpion and SST which were super fun. Devil Cross was pretty good but, like I said put us over to the East too far so had to traverse on Happy Devil, Papa Bear Momma Bear and Goldilocks. Would like to have tried Irish Death, Prison Love and a few others if we had more time and more climbing legs left. Sixth day of riding. Probably would've been able to get to all those in a day had there been a shuttle option, ha ha.

And it was supposed to rain in B'ham Saturday and was looking clear in Oakridge. Don't regret the decision at all but would love to get back to B'ham and spend a couple or three days when fresh.

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
I seem to never enjoy networks that are a spider web like that as much as other places. Even webs that I have really well figured out. Not sure what it is but I just never feel like I get a good ride in those types of systems.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've only ridden at Galbraith once and we had a blast, sessioning a bunch of stuff but man, what a maze. So many trails going all over the place. We eventually said "F it" and just rode wherever until it was time to work our way back to the truck.
Yeah, it's a total spaghetti bowl. Nice to have that many trails if you live there and want almost limitless options, but can be overwhelming for a visitor. We even had a (semi) local rider with us and still had to stop at most intersections and check Trailforks. EB was busy with the Shoot the Trails event and wasn't able to give us the true local tour. Next time.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few stats from our trip:

Drove 4000 miles
Rode 159 miles
Climbed 15,498 ft
Descended 51,516 ft (not a typo)
Mechanicals: One flat tire, One broken spoke.
Crashes: Me 4; Levi 5 or 6; Tyson 1 (but he made it count)
Injuries: 1 Tyson clipped a tree pretty hard with his shoulder with two miles to go on our last ride near the bottom of Lower Alpine and got body slammed to the ground. Had to limp down with one hand on the bar (harder than it looks going down).
Bee stings: 1
Smiles: 1 million

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
A few stats from our trip:

Drove 4000 miles
Rode 159 miles
Climbed 15,498 ft
Descended 51,516 ft (not a typo)
Mechanicals: One flat tire, One broken spoke.
Crashes: Me 4; Levi 5 or 6; Tyson 1 (but he made it count)
Injuries: 1 Tyson clipped a tree pretty hard with his shoulder with two miles to go on our last ride near the bottom of Lower Alpine and got body slammed to the ground. Had to limp down with one hand on the bar (harder than it looks going down).
Bee stings: 1
Smiles: 1 million
WOW...that's a lot of driving mileage. I probably missed some areas you hit as you left Ely. It's only 2900 mile round trip to Whistler when I used to live in San Diego.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
WOW...that's a lot of driving mileage. I probably missed some areas you hit as you left Ely. It's only 2900 mile round trip to Whistler when I used to live in San Diego.
Yeah we did quite a bit of back and forth and long way around sight seeing driving to get to the various rides and to our overnight accommodations. It’s probably only about 2000 miles from Ely to Bellingham and back

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.