Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ride this bike still - 1999 Trek 8900.

Is there a difference in performance between a 1999 Trek 8900 and let's say a 2001 Trek 8500?

Is SL different than SLR? I remember in 2000 trek went to the SLR for their 8000 frames. I know the R means racing geometry so does that mean that SLR frame = 8900 SL?

I am building a 1999 Trek 8900 and the frame is about 3.2 lbs. I'll post the pictures when ever I am done.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still ride my 1998 Trek 8900SL almost everyday. It has been a great bike for the 7 years that I owned it so far, but a Top Fuel 110 just got added to my bike collection. So the 8900 will now go into semi-retirement and be used as a training bike, but not for the races. As far as the SL frame comparing to the SLR. I believe the SLR tubing gets a little thinner where it can to try to make the frame a little lighter than the SL. I know when I bought my 8900 new the SL was the top of the line aluminum frame made. Now the SL aluminum is on all the low end bikes, the SLR on the medium and the ZR9000 is on the high end aluminum bikes. As for the perfomance of the frame material, I can't tell the difference between riding my 8900SL to my friends 8000SLR. (I would say build your bike, ride it hard, and have fun doing it. I can't wait to see pics.)

Eric

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
Is SL different than SLR? I remember in 2000 trek went to the SLR for their 8000 frames. I know the R means racing geometry so does that mean that SLR frame = 8900 SL?

QUOTE]

SL frames are different than SLR. From Trek's website describing SLR:"Superlight race frames feature thinner, lighter Alpha tubes, custome butted for rugged durability, and our proprietary heat-treating process for increased overall strength."

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The difference is in the stays

I think the difference between a 1999 SL 8900 and a SLR is the stays.

The stays on the SL are alpha AL whick I like because they are stiffer, and the SLR has double butted.

The 8900 SL is not the same as the lower end SL's that trek makes now. The geometry on the 8900 is the standard NOBRA geometry and not the Genesis mega long top tube geometry.

The 1999 8900 SL frame 19" is 3.1lbs. How much freaking lighter could they have made the SLR or the ZR9000? They probably shaved 15 grams and deemd it better.

I ride a 27lbs trail bike and a 32lbs freeride bike. The trek 8900 feels like a piece of paper at 22lbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a '99 8900 SL that I am just finishing. I will post pics soon. This is the lightest bike I've ever felt!!! My last challenge is fitting my Formula Rear Disc Brake caliper to the frame. Stupid Hayes 22mm mount!

I'd say bike is around 22 lbs. 19.5" frame. I'm waiting to weigh until bike is finalized.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had some NOS 22mm calipers for sale in these classifieds for a long time. Let me know if you are having trouble with your adapter, I will let them go really cheap for a fellow 8900 rider. Here's mine during the build-up, it's a 2007 UK only 8900:

It's a long story on how I got the frame, the only thing to designate it as an 8900 is the paint scheme and the 8900 on the right seat stay. You can find information about it on Trek's UK website. Total weight, even with the Marzocchi in the front and about a scoop of Stan's in each tire, came to 22.64 lbs. This is reasonable for me as the bike is trail worthy. My only concern is that with the heavy fork, the weight distribution seems really front heavy. My 8500 LT weighs more but feels better distributed...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are they hydro? I don't know much about NOS brakes. I have purchased the Formula K24's and am praying the Disc Brake Adapter (converting the 22mm to IS mount) allows enough room for the caliper. They look pretty small and I have the large frame so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you know if I need those. What kind of shape are they in?
Sweet looking bike!! I'm drooling....

·
Registered
93 Posts
NOS means "new old stock" which means that they are brand new, just sitting around collecting dust. They are of course Hayes 22mm calipers utilizing the 22mm direct mount system. Let me know how your adapter business goes and if you want to give in to the 22mm calipers. And, of course they are hydro, that's the only way disc brakes should come.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Formulas didn't work

Hey JC....

I tried using the formula rear caliper w/ the 22mm to Int'l mount adapter and the caliper did not clear the frame.

What are my options? I may need to get the NOS Caliper Rear off of you. Please let me know if you still have.

I'm going to try to see if there are any other options out there in the mean time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old thread I know, but I am putting together an old bike. I am finally putting my Trek 8500 back together. It started as an 8300, but the Alpha SL frame cracked right at the BB. I got the SLR frame which has heavier gussets in this area, I think it was a common problem. I am trying to get a rear brake on this thing and wondering if anyone has any tips what rear mount type is this? where do I get an adapter?
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would suggest jusing using the Hayes Direct Mount Caliper for the rear. I mounted the Formula Oro K24 up front and the Hayes Direct Mount. People are usually selling 'em on eBay New Old Stock. That's where I found mine. Do a search for Hayes 22mm and you should be able to find one. I paid around $85 shipped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i purchased the same adapter and thought it would work w/ my Formula caliper. it didn't. the caliper didnt clear the frame, and that is the case that happens w/ most other brands. you can try measuring the caliper to see if it will clear frame, but theres not much room to work w/. and if i remember how avid likes to make larger calipers, you can assume it wont work w/ your application either. good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If not there is room to slot, and it will give me a template for making one that works. This bike stuff is easy, I had to custom fit Brembos on my Sentra :madman:

·
Registered
10 Posts
snoboarder77 said:
Brembos on a Sentra!? Why bother!!! That's like platinum plating my Bus card....
It is a track car. It has a track suspension, and a 275 HP GTi-R SR20DET :thumbsup: Looks stock though.

Shot at 2007-04-18

·
Registered
10 Posts
snoboarder77 said:
just saw the caliper you'll need on ebay. the lever looks used, but might be able to get a great deal. i was able to find a new one, and haven't had any problems yet. although i cant say i like the looks of the lever.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayes-22mm-Post-CALIPER-2-6-in-ROTORS-LEVER-Schwinn_W0QQitemZ150157210212QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for looking out, you rock! I actually talked to Hayes directly, and they have some of the calipers brand new, they have no levers though. They recommend using a lever from a Mag, or a 9 . I am bidding on it, and will probably replace the lever. Now I just need to get the steerer tube on my new fork cut and I can start riding it again. For now I am suck with the commuter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well that sucks for me. My LBS told me I would need to keep the Hayes lever and use that. So, not wanting to give up both of my Formula Oro K24's, I kept the front on, and just used the Hayes Lever/Caliper for the rear. If I had known I could swap caliper and lever, I would have mated the Formula lever w/ the Hayes rear caliper. Better on the eyes. Oh well. Good luck w/ your app.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.