Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the new Zion Bicycles forum. Big thanks to our friends at MTBR for setting it up.

We're working on the new Zion Bicycles website, and we want your photos! Got pics of your Zion on the trail, on your car, or somewhere interesting around the world? How about some custom modifications that make your Zion unique?

Send them to webmaster AT zionbicycles DOT com (or add them as a response in this thread) and we'll use them in our "customer bikes gallery" section on the new website.

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here's mine! It's changed a little bit since I've taken these pictures though, I've replaced the saddle and rear drive train. She weights in at 25.75 pounds. Here's the specs:

Frame: ZION 660 19 Inch
Fork: Rockshox Recon 327 100mm
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
Cranks: Deore w/salsa chain rings XT BB
Shifters: SRAM X.7 8 speed trigger
R/Derailleur: 2007 SRAM X.9 mid cage
Cassette: XTR 950 Ti 12-32 8 Speed
F/Derailleur: XT
Stem: Raceface Evolve XC 100mm
Handlebar: Raceface Dues XC low riser
Seatpost: Racefave Evolove XC
Saddle: WTB Laser SLT
Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Rims/wheels: Mavic Crossride w/Salsa skewers
Headset: Cane Creek S3

·
Incredulous bastard
259 Posts
My Zion is much photograph'd, but rarely by me. I can't take credit for any of these.

A couple of stuck-in-the-snow shots:

Okay, I can take credit for this particular photo, but why would I want to?

And some action shots...

A nice big corner:

Foolin' around in a snow cover'd ditch:

Risking my life on a pond (not really, it was freakin' cold):

And a few with a freakin' laser beam attach'd to my forehead:

And finally, attach'd is a shot of my Zion just hangin' out with some friends:

Attachments

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
no one in particular said:
My Zion is much photograph'd, but rarely by me. I can't take credit for any of these.

A couple of stuck-in-the-snow shots:

Okay, I can take credit for this particular photo, but why would I want to?

And some action shots...

A nice big corner:

Foolin' around in a snow cover'd ditch:

Risking my life on a pond (not really, it was freakin' cold):

And a few with a freakin' laser beam attach'd to my forehead:

And finally, attach'd is a shot of my Zion just hangin' out with some friends:
nice frickin' laser beammmmmmm!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Picked up my finished wheel build this weekend from my LBS and couldn't really wait to put the bike together.

Got it finished last night and took it for its maiden voyage this morning.

Unfortunately I am still awaiting delivery of the 2.35 Rampages I've ordered so I've gone with some 700 x 38 cheapies to get up and running.

Its really nice to be back on a single speed, although riding rigid will take some getting used to :p.

The bike rides great and I really pleased with it.

PS Long steerer is a temporary measure until I decide on a final length :p
PPS The Hope rear hub is rather noisy :eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice, looks good in green! I don't know if I could get used to riding a rigid fork. My back would be killing me. ;) I'm hoping to build a zion ss this summer, I haven't decided on 26 or 29 yet. What gears are you running? --Mark

·
Registered
260 Posts
marks_bike said:
Nice, looks good in green! I don't know if I could get used to riding a rigid fork. My back would be killing me. ;) I'm hoping to build a zion ss this summer, I haven't decided on 26 or 29 yet. What gears are you running? --Mark
I wasn't sure how the ratio would transfer between 26" and 29" so I'm currently running 32:20, with the 20t coming from a split shimano cassette. Its very similar to 32:18 I used to run on my 26" SS which has got me spun out on the flat but with the hills here in Wales means I have to get off and push very little.

I guess I'll settle on getting an 18t for use on the rear once I get a little fitter; which I reckon will feel more like 32:16 on the 26" bike.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's going to be hard for me to decide between 26" or 29" wheels. I'm so torn!

Oh, just in case. Here's how you figure out gear ratio's.

Chainring * Tire size / Rear gear = gear ratio

Like so:
29er 32*29/20=46.4
26er 32*26/18=46.2

Thanks again. --Mark

·
Registered
260 Posts
marks_bike said:
Oh, just in case. Here's how you figure out gear ratio's.

Chainring * Tire size / Rear gear = gear ratio

Like so:
29er 32*29/20=46.4
26er 32*26/18=46.2

Thanks again. --Mark
Thanks for that.
Since I've already got the 20t cog, I think I'll go get myself a 19t now which will be the equivalent of a 32:17 (26") and in between where I am and where I 'd like to be - but have to be realistic!

I think I'd have to ride far more regularly to get fully comfortable with the equivalent of 32:16 (26").

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
One of only 2 Zion 737's that I know of in Australia and the only geared one.

* 20" Zion 737 frame
* Thomson stem
* Thomson seatpost
* SLR Ti railed saddle
* XT cranks (cheap but solid at $210)
* SRAM PG990 cassette
* Formula Oro K18 brakes
* SRAM X9 shifters and rear derailleur
* Shitmano XT front derailleur (SRAM dont make a front clamp size that works with the smaller tube diameter of steel frames
* No name bolt on seatpost clamp (non QR)
* Cane Creek S3 + 5 headset (has an extended lower crown to asist with downtube clearance)
* Reba
* Hope hubs laced to Sun DS2 rims with DT Competition spokes
* Easton EC70 flat bar with foam grips

26.6lbs

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

32:18 gear ratio, 180 mm stylo SS cranks, ust rear rim/tire, hope mini brakes, thomson stem/post, easton CF bar.

bike rides v well. some torsional flex but doesn't affect handling. surprisingly compliant on rough sections. frame weight was just over 5.2 lbs in the 19 inch size. i plan to drill some holes in the EBB chunk of aluminum.

·
Registered
785 Posts
sweet shots man...my buddy has a new pentax dslr that will give you a simliar shot to that.... it shoots your long exposure, and then flash at the end of the exposure, so you get the long beam of light, with you at the end, rather than flashing first, and then a long exposure....pretty sweet setup...just thought it'd throw that in there....but i love the bike!

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.