Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1215 Posts

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,822 Posts
Updated photo. I did a "fun" enduro a couple of weeks ago. It was a non sanctioned event and I was the only one to sign up as a Pro, so I lost...I mean, won by default :madman:

-2012 650b Pro
-New Stans Flow MK3's with 2.4 Mavic Quests. Whole new bike.
-Reverb dropper
-Dropped a chain ring, 1x10 with 34T Bling Ring and Sunrace 11-42 cassette.
-Home made chain guide

I really love this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bit the bullet and decided to 'cry once'. My upgrade from my previous Jamis hardtail to the Defcon 1.

2 Major cons:

* Front and rear tires are awful, if you would like to know my reasons please read the following thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/vittoria-morsa-996677.html

* Unable to mount a water bottle, does not fit when rear suspension compresses (rear suspension hits the water bottle which is almost impossible to insert and remove in the fame at rest)

IMG_20160902_163225 (640x479).jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been riding the Dragonslayer for a couple months now. I am really enjoying this bike! I don't know why it doesn't get more attention on the forum. Maybe everyone who has one is too busy riding to post

IMG_1603.JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
I almost purchased one, the only reason why I didn't was because of the terrain I ride, the frame would be badly nicked up and the steel exposed to water/air, I'm afraid the bare steel would rust.

If the steel is more of an alloy - rust resistant, then I will reconsider it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
4130 Is somewhat corrosion resistant, but its not stainless. Its not a problem at all in Idaho's dry climate. The durability and ride quality of steel far outweigh any concerns I have about corrosion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
4130 Is somewhat corrosion resistant, but its not stainless. Its not a problem at all in Idaho's dry climate. The durability and ride quality of steel far outweigh any concerns I have about corrosion.
I live in East coast and between the summer humidity and wet trails, steel over time will corrode unless it has a lot of alloy in it. I'm not questioning the durability and longevity of steel, my only concern is if you ride in very rocky conditions in a humid environment, when the steel looses its protective paint coating it could be an issue over time.

My daughter rides a steel (in expensive) bike and after 2 seasons rust is forming on certain parts of the frame, and her bike is garaged without the abuse I put on my bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I got attached to this 05' Jamis XC 2.0 (14" small frame) after buying it used fir 100$ to ride daily while my license was under a 30 day suspension.
I grew up racing bmx, had many dj bikes, few dh/fr but lots 24 & 26" bmx crossovers or dj's... anyway I decided to try and make this frame feel like a park bike since its geometry is somewhat steep like a 26 dj kinda has.

I am in middle of modding it now. Half the parts are installed. Some are in the mail coming from amazon. It feels so much better than what it was originally.

Exotic Brand Aluminum rigid fork for shock fork frames... disc brake mount only
RaceFace respond bars
Truvativ hussefelt 35 stem
Origin8 locking grips
Chromag Overture saddle
RaceFace 36t 1x9 conversion sprocket
MRP Mini G3 chain tension guide bash guard
BB to iscg05 adapter plate for g3
Haro Aluminum Platform Pedals
N-gear chain jumpstop
Kenda K-Rad Tires 26x2.25
Bell self sealing tubes

* since I really like this frame & would like to be the first with a Jamis brand DJ type bike cuz Im almost positive they dont make anything in that market. Right? Cuz I plan to get this frame powder coated then paint in the Jamis down tube stencil logo and then add a made up model name to the upper tube and sum details on chain stay and other places. I like super chrome base with color top clears like shocker yellow, glow green, jamaican teal, illusion red and colors like that. Leaning towards a matte black with high gloss neon letters and red yellow green rasta stripe details in places. The goal is to make people think it is some new jamis park bike that looks almost like an NS bikes factory frame in a way

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jamis used to make a bike/frame bike called the kromo that was a DJ bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jamis used to make a bike/frame bike called the kromo that was a DJ bike.
I meant a dj with dropouts for rear deraileur haha

Thats cool tho thanx for the info. Jamis needs make alum frame street version with dropouts. Better said

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 2010 version came with a hanger that went over the axle and fit is the horizontal dropout that allowed for a rear derailleur.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2004 Dakar - Updated

20161018_164220.jpg

Found a bike with a broken frame so I pilfered the Rock Shox Judy forks, disk braks (so long cantilever!) and the wheels!! Awesome stopping power now!!

My Brodie has hydraulic disk brakes, 180mm, and I think these 160mm mechanical brakes feel just as good!

I can't wait to hit the,trail for a test ride!!

All that's left is upgrading the rear shock to an air with lock out and that's all she'll get!

I love this bike!

Attachments

1161 - 1180 of 1215 Posts