Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an old ezi-grip bike rack (pic) to carry my dw 5spot, and don't like it for several reasons, mainly that it is ruining the decal on the top tube! I'm thinking of getting an engineer friend to weld me up a new custom one purpose made for holding a DW Turner frame in a secure balanced position, but I'm interested in seeing what sort of off-the-shelf units people are using. I'd prefer not to go with roof racks, and "get a truck" isn't really an option, although we will probably be buying one in the near future it will have a canopy on the back for carrying the dogs.

What is the best off-the-shelf towbar mounted bike rack for the DW frames?

·
Registered
37 Posts
By towbar I am assuming you mean hitch mounted. Hands down without a doubt, best rack I have used (and own) is the kuat nv. I ran the top of the line Thule and while it was ok, didn't hold up and was lacking all around compared to the kuat. You will probably get responses for 1up racks, but I can't comment as I have not used one.

I know, not a turner, but I'm working on that.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I'm currently using an old ezi-grip bike rack (pic) to carry my dw 5spot, and don't like it for several reasons, mainly that it is ruining the decal on the top tube! I'm thinking of getting an engineer friend to weld me up a new custom one purpose made for holding a DW Turner frame in a secure balanced position, but I'm interested in seeing what sort of off-the-shelf units people are using. I'd prefer not to go with roof racks, and "get a truck" isn't really an option, although we will probably be buying one in the near future it will have a canopy on the back for carrying the dogs.

What is the best off-the-shelf towbar mounted bike rack for the DW frames?
I don't see how this has anything to do with the bike being a dw or not.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The '1UP USA' bike rack is the best I've used by far. I've hauled 26/27.5/29 mountain bikes and road bikes securely with no adjustment to the rack. I've used it on several road trips. It's lightweight aluminum, folds up when not in use and folds up more for storage, hitch tightens up so it doesn't rock when driving. Not the cheapest but well worth the $. The Kuat is really nice too, I like the built in bike repair stand, but it is very big and bulky compared to the 1UP.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I've had the Thule and the Kuat. Prefer the Kuat, but after checking out a buddy's 1UP this past weekend I think I'd go that route if I were to do it over again. What the rack lacks in "form" it definitely makes up in "function".

Joe Mama, I dig the custom paint & decals!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the pics. And yeah, tow bar = hitch. I just got back from a month in the US and was surprised at the language differences between our two English speaking countries!

I don't see how this has anything to do with the bike being a dw or not.
The small rear triangle on the dw frames leaves little room for the more traditional two-pronged racks that usually support the bike at the head tube and the top of the seat stays.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I've been lurking with one post here as I consider a Turner. No definitive answers on a Turner yet but I can second all the good said about a 1up rack. They're in the friends only let friends buy it or shut up and buy it category. I love the way they work, store, fit all hitches, all wheels, and when just me have the rack folded and still have access to my wagon hatch. For car pooling I get to my friend's, and we take the add ons for individual racks to make a 3 or 4 carrier in moments. It's like the posts here and you might have to see and touch one to fully appreciate.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I saw the 1up rack in person for the first time last weekend. They are much burlier than pictures look because it's solid aluminum pieces and not hollow tubing. Very well thought out design. My next hitch rack will be 1up
1 up is the only hitch mounted rack I've seen break.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Where exactly did it break? I've been using mine every week for a few years and it has been trouble free. I'd like to know where to check though..
Can't remember if it was the lower tray, or arm that closes on the tire. But one of those.

MTBR member 7HVN had one and it broke.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The '1UP USA' bike rack is the best I've used by far. I've hauled 26/27.5/29 mountain bikes and road bikes securely with no adjustment to the rack. I've used it on several road trips. It's lightweight aluminum, folds up when not in use and folds up more for storage, hitch tightens up so it doesn't rock when driving. Not the cheapest but well worth the $. The Kuat is really nice too, I like the built in bike repair stand, but it is very big and bulky compared to the 1UP.

View attachment 887626
love the colour of your burner, looks great.....i also use a 1 up roof mount. went this way, they were the only ones 2 years back that had a fat bike set up.

·
Registered
754 Posts
There are some rad racks in this thread. I'd like to present to the Turner forum the worst rack I've owned. Don't buy one of these, even if you find it used for $100 like I did.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Mode of transport Vehicle

I'm in constant fear that it will fail, which is why the wifes 29er rides on the outside. Soon to be replaced by an NV 4-bike system once the roadie gets it's new grupo.

Alternatively, the Yakima Whispbar is pretty solid and still returns 33 mpg highway on the GLI.

Mode of transport Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive design Land vehicle

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have the Saris Cycle-On Pro. Similar to the Kuat but much stronger (also heavier). We got the rack for our Sportsmobile 4X4 van and chose it for it's ruggedness. It's been great. Bikes are easy on easy off. Nothing touches the frame, paint, or cables. The biks are held on the rack by the long arm clamps on the tires. When my son bought his Kuat we looked at them side by side. It looks like Kuat took a good look at the Saris and then made their rack similar in function but more compact and lighter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.