Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
961 - 980 of 2306 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here are a few shots of the 1x9 setup that I'm running on my '08 HiFi Carbon Pro. I designed and built the data for the inner and outer rings using Alias software. After building a few prototypes and working out the bugs, I had the final pieces CNC'd from aluminum. They aren't light, at 168gr for the set, but they are overbuilt and very strong. I designed them to work specifically with the XTR crankset. It would be very easy to design some very lightweight pieces, or even have this design cast from something lighter. I still have to change out the RD for a short cage version - still running the stock X-0 that came on the bike.

capn

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
capn 35, do you plan to manufacture these for some ebay sales?
It looks like a serious factory made item.

Can the device be installed with any non-ramped 32T chainring?

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
I custom made my own chain guide but I've never posted pics on here before. Is the Photobucket with a the link copy/pasted the easiest way or is there an easier way?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Gripo said:
Currently running one of these "Widgits"> https://www.widgit.com.au/index.html in a 28T (30T also available) with a hybrid XTR-Deore 12-36t Casette.

The Widgit guide mounts to the granny tabs and the chainring offset hence it's placed between the granny and the middle ring positions allowing a better chainline for 1x9.

For my trails the 28T version allows me to use all the cassette, close to.......
*1st gear of 22granny x 30t (2nd gear on a 11-34 casst)
*9th gear 32middlet x13t (8th gear on a 11-34 casst)

Okay, this is the answer to my prayers.........28T or 30T or 32T.........I wonder how much it costs to ship from Australia to California :eekster:

$139 Australian is about $127 US.......

·
Freezer
606 Posts
You guys think I'll be OK on a HT without some type of chainkeeper if I run an 11-30 cluster, short-cage RD and a SS 32t chainring? If not, is something like the K-Edge Single Chain Catcher (inside and top guide) sufficient, or is a ring guard (outside guide) needed as well?

I'm putting together a nice, light HT build, and trying to get a system that is elegant and matches the build quality, so $ is not an issue. Thanks!

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
mlloyd007, yours might be a case for a 30T Widgit. Unless you really need 32T.
Are you going to run 1x8?
Consider MRP 1.Х.. and stay tuned for seat tube mounted MRP cage.

·
Freezer
606 Posts
J. Random Psycho said:
mlloyd007, yours might be a case for a 30T Widgit. Unless you really need 32T.
Are you going to run 1x8?
Consider MRP 1.Х.. and stay tuned for seat tube mounted MRP cage.
What is a 30t Widgit? I'm getting a 9-speed 11-30 cassette, and might just take out the 12 tooth cog to make the cog spacing more consistent (11, 13, 15, etc.), and to reduce the chainline deflection in the smaller cogs.

I've seen the MRP, and it looks very functional, but I just don't like the aesthetics. I'm coming from a "less is more" SS perspective.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The X.1 looks slicker than a bashring on one side of the ring and a jump-stop or the likes on the other side IMO. The black doesn't yell 'look at me I'm a chainguide!' as much as the white one...

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
ROTATN said:
Right hopefully someone can help me ASAP.

Have an 80km XC type race on the weekend which i am doing on my Nomad which is a little heavy.

My idea is to drop to a 1x9 setup and loose some weight. I currently have a 26-36 & 34-11. I ride the bulk in the 36 but getting tired i find myself using the 26.

The options i have been given is the 32x36-12 but i am concerned about the weight of the SLX cassette vs my XT 34-11.

How close would the 32-34 combo be to my granny 26-34 combo?

Have to do the change tomorrow so hopefully you gurus can help!
where are you seeing this 12-36 cassette?!

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
thats crazy, I can't find it under SLX or Deore on the shimano site... SLX is HG80, deore HG61.

I could also having an epic fail at the internet day... :p

How heavy is that, and are there any clearance issues with eg x9 dérailleurs?

961 - 980 of 2306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.