Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 2306 Posts
G

·
i too run the med length RD with a pretty short chain. i bet that boone ring helps lots. anyway you have a super sweet bike! thanks for posting pics.

i am actually thinking maybe my next build should be a 1X9. i am looking at getting one of the Niner S.I.R.9 frames. currently agonizing over color and fork choices :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Boy there are some nice setups in here! Kind of making me wish I had set mine up as a 1x9 instead of a 2x9. Maybe that will be a project for next winter..........
 
G

·
so i asked my LBS to get the pricing for my next potential 1X9. the S.I.R.9 in red. i want to do a red/white/blue theme. blue king hubs, red spoke nipples, red frame, red/white/blue king headset. i need to find more white parts and maybe some more blue bits :) (might have to look into getting some custom colors on the fork :) )

originally i was thinking that i could ride the 29er as a full geared bike, but i have been riding the wifes bike (05 stumpy with full compliment of gears) and i don't do well with the granny gear. even on the looooong steep climb called "Cardiac" i ride better in the middle ring than when i try to spin the granny gear. maybe it is due to riding my bike 1X9, maybe my physique isn't good for spinning.

initially i will build it up as a SS and add the gears when money is available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Lesson Learned vis-a-vis Tempting...

the fates! Dropped the chain for the first time this weekend after proclaiming so authoritatively here that I have no probelsm with chain drops. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep my big mouth shut!!

MTB dad... i can't believe that you don't have problems dropping the chain, but whatever you did to keep it in place, congrats. it is so sweet and clean without the N-gear. do ride hard through rock gardens and such?
 
G

·
MTBDad...

that totally sucks! i am sorry that i had to go and jinx your perfect record. your bike is really pretty without anything on the outside of the ring. a quick fix would be to throw a Spot Brand ring guard on the outside. the best fix for you would probably be a device similar to what was shown previously where the jumpstop captures the inside, top, and outside of the chain. a nice AL billet piece might not take away from your aesthetics too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
hey, i just pulled the FD off my bike...it feels great!...i'm just keeping my 32T ring...i've got a Heim guide but not the jumpstop or bashguard...think i'll be ok...man, my bike looks sweet...wish i knew how to post these pix...clean, clean ,clean and right
 

·
bang
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
adamantane said:
...wish i knew how to post these pix...clean, clean ,clean and right
mtbr provides all of its members with space to store bike photos. near the top of the page there is a link "upload photos". your image needs to be within the size limit (250 kb). click the "browse" button to upload the pic from your hard drive to mtbr. then click on the pic in your gallery, copy the image url, and use the forums image code. for example:
Code:
[img]pic's url[/img]
if you already have the pic up on a website somewhere, you do not need to do this. just copy the image url and use the forums image code (you can also click on the small picture of a mountain and sun above where you type, if you don't want to enter the tags manually). make sure you click the "preview post" button to make sure everything is ok befor you submit your post.

an alternative way to upload files (usually pictures), is to click on the "upload images" button in the "attach files" box. this is located below of where you type. easy as pie. eating pie i guess. i couldn't make a pie to save my life. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
mtbr provides all of its members with space to store bike photos. near the top of the page there is a link "upload photos". your image needs to be within the size limit (250 kb). click the "browse" button to upload the pic from your hard drive to mtbr. then click on the pic in your gallery, copy the image url, and use the forums image code. for example:
Code:
[img]pic's url[/img]
if you already have the pic up on a website somewhere, you do not need to do this. just copy the image url and use the forums image code (you can also click on the small picture of a mountain and sun above where you type, if you don't want to enter the tags manually). make sure you click the "preview post" button to make sure everything is ok befor you submit your post.

an alternative way to upload files (usually pictures), is to click on the "upload images" button in the "attach files" box. this is located below of where you type. easy as pie. eating pie i guess. i couldn't make a pie to save my life. :p
alright..that was a great overview..wish they had that wrtten up somewhere...i will try it out..thanks again for the detailed descrition for dummies...i'll be referring to this post while learning
 
G

·
it's not drivetrain related, but i was so excited about getting my bike back today i just had to post a pic of my new shock. can't wait to ride SJT this saturday on my 1X9!!!!!!!!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
jumpin_joe2u said:
Been riding this for over 2 years now. I've only dropped the chain a handful of times and it has always been in a crash, never while riding.
two question: 1) where did you get those low profile chainring bolts, and 2) where did you get that chainring roller guide, or is that scratch built

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
adamantane said:
two question: 1) where did you get those low profile chainring bolts, and 2) where did you get that chainring roller guide, or is that scratch built

thanks
The chainring bolts are standard BMX equipment (any LBS should carry them). I have seen them also advertised online as "single speed chainring bolts."

The chainguide was something I just scraped together with stuff I had in my basement junk hardware box, but it was inspired by a post that used to get a lot of talk here a few years ago. Some guy took some coins and made one that admittedly looks much nicer than mine, but mine was origionally intended as just a prototype (some prototypes last longer than others). Anyway, I had the benefit of having an "e-type" derrailleur bolt to fasten the chainguide to, but you should be able to easily alter one of those "jump-stop" thingies to function as the anchor to the seat tube.

Think I found the pic that inspired me awhile back (sorry I don't recall who origionally posted it, so I can't give credit).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
jumpin_joe2u said:
The chainring bolts are standard BMX equipment (any LBS should carry them). I have seen them also advertised online as "single speed chainring bolts."

The chainguide was something I just scraped together with stuff I had in my basement junk hardware box, but it was inspired by a post that used to get a lot of talk here a few years ago. Some guy took some coins and made one that admittedly looks much nicer than mine, but mine was origionally intended as just a prototype (some prototypes last longer than others). Anyway, I had the benefit of having an "e-type" derrailleur bolt to fasten the chainguide to, but you should be able to easily alter one of those "jump-stop" thingies to function as the anchor to the seat tube.

Think I found the pic that inspired me awhile back (sorry I don't recall who origionally posted it, so I can't give credit).
buff, i've got to make one of these...i like the fact that it is on top of the chain as well as side to side some what..i think i loose chain because the chain can rise up..but this overhead deal should keep it put...it would be interesting to also have one at the 6 o'clock position..but maybe that's overkill...but man, i jump and smack into stuff and blast through rocks...invariably loose the chain in these situations

i've gone to my local lbs, the guys is older and doesn't know or care, keep telling me i come in asking for these he doesn't have...i though lbs guys loved bikes and how to solve problems with them

anyway, thanks...maybe i should just get an MRP LRP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Kiss

I'm a huge fan of the "Keep It Simple Stupid" philosophy! I guess I don't see the need for all these bashrings AND jump-stops. I have no doubt that this method retains the chain, but it just seems like such overkill to me. Seems ridiculous to add so much stuff just to "simplify" to a 1x9 drivetrain. Don't get me wrong, if you live in an area where you tend to chew up your chainring, by all means use a bashring. But if you are just looking to keep your chain from coming off, there has to be a simpler way. Heck, before I constructed my little chainguide, I just used my regular ol' front derrailleur with great success (maybe it doesn't look as cool, but it worked flawlessly and had so much less......I don't know.......crap).

Basically, I just don't understand how most of the general population runs 3X9 with a 42T or 44T chainring and doesn't destroy their chainrings, but when you go to a single 34T or 36T chainring suddenly everyone needs a bashring!? Is it just me or does this all seem like overcomplicating matters?

I absolutely understand that some people's riding styles require bashrings....I'm not saying nobody should run one. I am just asking how many people are running bashrings combined with jump-stops, just to serve the purpose of chain retention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
jumpin_joe2u said:
I'm a huge fan of the "Keep It Simple Stupid" philosophy! I guess I don't see the need for all these bashrings AND jump-stops. I have no doubt that this method retains the chain, but it just seems like such overkill to me. Seems ridiculous to add so much stuff just to "simplify" to a 1x9 drivetrain. Don't get me wrong, if you live in an area where you tend to chew up your chainring, by all means use a bashring. But if you are just looking to keep your chain from coming off, there has to be a simpler way. Heck, before I constructed my little chainguide, I just used my regular ol' front derrailleur with great success (maybe it doesn't look as cool, but it worked flawlessly and had so much less......I don't know.......crap).

Basically, I just don't understand how most of the general population runs 3X9 with a 42T or 44T chainring and doesn't destroy their chainrings, but when you go to a single 34T or 36T chainring suddenly everyone needs a bashring!? Is it just me or does this all seem like overcomplicating matters?

I absolutely understand that some people's riding styles require bashrings....I'm not saying nobody should run one. I am just asking how many people are running bashrings combined with jump-stops, just to serve the purpose of chain retention.
i think the idea of jumpstop and bash ring, is that the chain cannot derrail to the right or the left...i just mounted a jumpstop (without bashring) and i lost my chain a bunch coming down my favorite fireroad, the chain came off to the right as you'd expect. waiting for the bashring to show up at my doorstep, this bashring should hopefully elimanate the loss of chain. but your set up is very simple and cheap...so my bashring and jumpstop will eliminate left and right movement of the chain, but the chain can still rise up and possible over either the bashring or the jumpstop.

i will find this out shortly...your systems prevent almost all movement of the chain, which is nice for such a simple design...need to be in thinking mode over buying mode
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
this may or may not matter, but a nice bashring (or spot chaingaurd) looks nice. nothing wrong with that i suppose. i do have a question for those of you using bashrings - does the chain rub the bashring at all while using the smaller cogs?
Doesnt for me.
 

·
bang
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
this may or may not matter, but a nice bashring (or spot chaingaurd) looks nice. nothing wrong with that i suppose. i do have a question for those of you using bashrings - does the chain rub the bashring at all while using the smaller cogs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Despite the fact that I love my 1x9 bike, I still think the N-gear Jumpstop is way too fragile. I've already broken 2 of them. They're made way too light. I wish they would have added a little more material on the thing.
 
21 - 40 of 2306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top