Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 369 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see a picture-post containing only PRE-1993 SS rigs. That means canti's and rigids, mostly.

Why? Because everyone has these fancy new SS rigs, and hardly anyone rides the older stuff, like I hope too.

Unite!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Please make them black & white photos. My eyeballs are still recovering from 80/90s fluoro lycra. :)

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
My 1991 Litespeed

jh4rt said:
CBO commissioned titanium frames from Litespeed with Yo Eddy geometry. Here's mine done up as a SS with a Spicer ti fork. Here's a chance to compare "side-by-side", so to speak.

JMJ

Attachments

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How hard is it to convert to 29" on older bikes? The wheelset I was planning on using on my Marin project is pretty beat up, the rear being very trashed. I assume I'd need to switch to V-Brakes, anything else I should know?

The Trek looks great, and I'm hoping I can find the magic gear on my project.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a 1980s (I think) Jamis Boss Cruiser that I repainted, overhauled and converted from a 6-speed to a single speed. I ride this thing all over the place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is an early 90's f%$& Pig built by John Hammond (Salsa frame builder) tha debuted in the first CCCC series at the revenge of the siskyous. Still riding the same Phil huibs I had custom fabbed by PW to meet the bike's specs (130 mm rear spacing, flip flop, 32h).
P1000332-1.jpg

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is my 1989 (I think) Diamondback Apex, which I bought used in the spring of 1992. In this picture it was set up with 42x18 gearing, which was the "magic" gear. That gear worked well for commuting and mild trails, but was much too big for most hills. However, I did ride it in one unofficial SS race, and as long as I accepted that I would run a lot of hills (in southeast Michigan we have a lot of short, steep, loose hills), I absolutely blew other riders away on the flats!

Since this picture I have made a few changes, the most significant being that I used an old derailleur cage to make a tensioner, similar to a Surly, and am currently running a much more off-road friendly 39x20 gear. Maybe one of these days I will get rid of the road crank I have on it, but right now that means I would actually have to spend money on it:)

Attachments

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
How hard is it to convert to 29" on older bikes? The wheelset I was planning on using on my Marin project is pretty beat up, the rear being very trashed. I assume I'd need to switch to V-Brakes, anything else I should know?

The Trek looks great, and I'm hoping I can find the magic gear on my project.
I'm sure there must be some kind of exception, but pretty close to impossible.

1 - 20 of 369 Posts