Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

*confessionmode on* I try to be a little bit of a weight weenies *confessionmode off*.
As I 'm a social worker my budget doesn't allow me to build a hyperlight bike but I like to keep my bikes fairly light. For a 29'er with an alloy frame 22lbs seems a good benchmark.
Right now I'm in the proces of deciding which bike to get. Maybe you guys (and girls) cane give me some inspiration by showing me you lightish air 9ers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine is in the 25 pound neighborhood, with a bunch of light bits and some not, but a Fox fork and heavy wheelset, plus it is a large frame.

·
Registered
261 Posts
To get to 22lbs imo, I could change the cranks (-100g), Dura Ace front dera (-70g), tires Notubes Raven (-150 to 200g)
My Air 9 Raw L current setup:
23lbs exact.
Reba Team sl
Ritchey carbon stearer
Foam grips.
BBB 80 mm stem
XT cranks, 36t middle and 22 inside TA, KMC X9sl chain.
Eggbeater SL pedals with Ti short spindle.
XT front dera
Sram XO grip shifters, XO rear dera with KCNC jockeywheels.
BB7 brakes tuned with ti bolts, I-link cabling, Windcutters 180mm, Steinbach Micro V2 handles.
KCNC Ti Pro Lite seatpost and SDG Bel Air saddle.
Wheels:
1°) Hope Pro II, ZTR Arch, DT Alpine spokes+Racing Ralph.
2°) Shimano M975 CL hubs with CX-ray and ZTR Crests+ Big Apples and Notubes (22.7lbs total weight in this set-up) and Ashima Aro-8+CL adapters from DT Swiss.
Extralite QR.
Some bolttuning replacing steal bolts with alu or Ti and glued some stops to the cableholders so I didn't have to run I-link outers all the way:

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I've got a build in the works - with a spreadsheet estimate of 22.2 lbs - so I highly doubt I'll be sub 22, but who knows. Will report once built up.

cheers

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have an air nine that is 22.2 lbs, I've raced it for the past year with zero problems. It is built up as a 1x9 with a Paul's chainkeeper, 355 rims, ZTR hubs, R1 Disks, XTR drivetrain and brakes and good, run of the mill lightweight parts everywhere else
Here's the only current pic I have, from a few weeks ago

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are you running 32 in front?
I have seen an Air9 where the chainkeeper couldn't get low enough in its normal intended position.
The brace had to be switched 180° and this way the chainkeeper was positioned behind the chainwheel, not ideal imo, though the man didn't complain, it seemed to work...
I'm thinking about going 1X9 with a 32t in front, hence my question.

·
Registered
686 Posts
32 won't work, I'm running a 34 and I modified the bracket a little so it will fit closer to the weld. Last I heard Paul's had a new design in the works for bikes like ours, you might check with them and see if it is out yet
Or just use a 34 and climb the hills a tad faster;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Light Air 9

I have a 22 pound Air 9 but I'm running mine with a carbon fork. I have the following build if you are interested.

Air 9 medium frame (Atomic blue)
Carbon niner fork (Atomic blue)
Chris King hubs (Red)
Stans ZTR rims (White)
Chris King BB (Red)
Chris King head set (Red)
Thomson 100mm X4 stem (black)
Thomson Elite seatpost (black)
Avid Elixr CR brakes
Maxxis Ignitor 2.0 tires
Easton monkey lite carbon bar
Ergon grips
Specialized Phenom 130 saddle

I would post pictures on here but I can't seam to get them uploaded on here. I plan on changing the tires on this with something lighter. So hopefully it will drop the weight even more. :)

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
As I'm putting my Air 9 together... sadly I will be closer to 23lbs... accounting for things like 100g of Stans (2 scoops) per tire... ugh!!!!! :(

Fork also came in a bit heavier than expected... (1760 vs 1690)... things like that... I just hope to be *in* the 22's... even if it's 22.95 :D

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well... I built 'er up tonight...

I tried... but alas, final build is 23.47 lbs (10.65kg)... (although seat and seatpost clamp are not final - waiting on those (white Rocket V Team and Kohosis 17g non-QR clamp)... should save me another 90 grams)

I guess I failed to account for my overkill chainstay protector ;)

Anyways... I'm super stoked on it!! Took it for a shakedown around the neighborhood... Riding it tomorrow for sure! :D Can't wait!!

EDIT: now at least sub-23 :D

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
First 29'er

Just built this as my first 29er, took a EMD for a demo ride and quickly realised it makes for a very good XC race bike. Can't wait for the trails to dry out!

20.34lbs (9.23 kg) and what I feel is 'sensible' for marathon racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'm at least now sub 23lbs... 22.86 :D

I'd need to spend too much to go much lower right now... just dropped major coin on an XG999 and some cleansweep X's... ;)

EDIT: some ESI grips, a 160mm front rotor and revised chainstay wrap... now down to 22.48lbs (getting closer to sub 22! :D)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just an fyi for all you guys running a Paul's Chainkeeper. They are now available with the bottom bracket mount. I'd be getting one myself, but I modified mine (ala Dremel) so my 32t chainring would work!

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
As many others have pointed out, Sub 22lb's is no mean feat in 29'er hard tail World. Especially if you are running a double or triple crankset.
While not a niner my 29'er with a very light fork is 22.50 lb with a fair number of $$ in to it.

When first researching 29'ers, I found that 25lb's was a good target for a stock bike in the ~$3000 range. Since then a few carbon models above this price point have made the light stock bike an option if you are willing to spend (Air 9 Carbon being one).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Air 9 - a little over 22lbs. With diferent tires it would be sub 22 lbs.

Air 9 frame
Lefty 110 dlr fork
xtr crancks with 22 -36 rings
ztr hubs and ztr crest rims, racing ralphs 2.25
Tune seatpost
kcnc stem
syntace bars
selle italia slr seat
time atac carbon pedals

In the winter I would like to ad a ztr Race, american classic wheelset and maybe a taller bar.

·
Registered
997 Posts
17lbs. and some change. not sure it counts though

17lbs. and some change. not sure it counts though

but it is an air 9, at least that's what it says on the frame ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts