Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
sonoranbiker
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my brand spankin' new Redline D440 to work as a dual-purpose commuter and mtn bike. I am going to mount racks on it, and wondered if anyone had any good photos of D440s or similar bikes with rear racks. Specifically, trying to figure out how to mount the rack without any severe (aka weak) bends in the front mounting hardware, and to account for the lack of lower bolt-holes.

Thanks- Evan

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
sonoranbiker said:
I just picked up my brand spankin' new Redline D440 to work as a dual-purpose commuter and mtn bike. I am going to mount racks on it, and wondered if anyone had any good photos of D440s or similar bikes with rear racks. Specifically, trying to figure out how to mount the rack without any severe (aka weak) bends in the front mounting hardware, and to account for the lack of lower bolt-holes.

Thanks- Evan
If you're looking for something affordable for front racks, axiom low rider racks or the MEC (blackburn in usa?) low rider racks are quite decent. Just make sure not to abuse them too much. For super durable front or rear racks, OLD MAN MOUNTAIN. They have a really good system for attaching to bikes that don't have rack mounts.

Here's a photo of my touring bike with an old man mountain front rack and a (amazingly reliable) axiom rear rack. I have since sold the OMM front rack, I greatly prefer low rider racks. For my next big tour I might splurge and get an OMM low rider rack.

Another photo of the bike, but set up with a MEC low rider rack. I find the ride is much better this way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jannd and Trek

I use Jandd racks on my long ranger (a Trek 520) and found they are very solid and don't sway even at high speeds with heavy loads...sorry for the fat guy pic, it's the only one I could find of it. One cool thing about the front Jandd is that the bag mounts are low riders, and it has a top plate for extra storage. Kind of heavy for everyday use.

On my local bike I use a Trek brand rack that has big hollw tubes, can't remember the model, and it has good tie down points and is fairly light.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts