Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Dudette
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in fat bikes for a couple of years now. There are a few questions I have. I realize these are machines made for riding in the snow and sand...but how may people out there are using them for touring or as trail rigs? People have called them the "monster truck" of bicycles, but how well do they tackle the trail and obstacles (say log piles, etc?). For those of you using them for touring, what are some of the advantages/disadvantages? Is it realistic to imagine these bikes as more than just snow machines? Do people find the larger wheels to be a burden on/off the snow? Show me their capabilities!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You'll have to try these yourself to find YOUR answers. and the different fatty's differ from each other a bit. As far as compareing them to other types of bikes... think of 4x4's. They all have 4 wheel drive, but there's a big difference between a standard SUV and the "rock crawler" jeep that's had it's suspension/drive train modified and is running High Floatation tires. The former's probly better for commuting and taking the kids to soccer, but the latter will go allot more places, in allot more conditions. You are the engine that powers the bicycle, Only you can decide what kind of vehicle is right to mount YOUR engine on...

Here's my LM/Mav./Larry equiped Fatty out on some desert single (and double) track...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Actually I live in Yakima, just go to Ocean Shores area allot. Ancient lakes is right by Quincy on the east side of the gorge. North of Vantage and south of Wenatchee. Have you heard about our N.W. Fat Bike Meet at Ocean Shores Oct. 29th? Theres a thread about it down the page a bit.

·
Dudette
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mini - glad you chimed in! Is that a Fatback? Agghh, so debating between that or a Muk. How's the ride? Any clearance issues? This is exactly what I was hoping to see - people using their fats for trails and dirt roads. How's the weight/rolling resistance? Not that anyone is going out there hoping to win a race ;) ...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Cruisin around Edinburgh...

Victoria Street, remember the famous chase scene in the Film Trainspotting? ...

IMG_6619 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Cannongate Toll Booth (old jail)... on The Royal Mile

IMG_6599 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Tour the Town below the ground... Edinburghs past, whole streets below your feet...

IMG_6611 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Adam Smith...

IMG_6609 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Greyfriars Bobby....

IMG_6623 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Hollyrood, Scottish Parliment...

IMG_6595 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Edinburgh Castle, from Calton Hill...

IMG_6630 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Bigfoot meets BIGFOOT :D

IMG_6646 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Urban exploration...at Lieth Docks

IMG_6707 by coastkid71, on Flickr

IMG_6705 by coastkid71, on Flickr

IMG_6701 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Riding harvested wheat and barley Stubble fields...

IMG_5437 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Getting one wheel off the ground...

19,5,11 035 by coastkid71, on Flickr

And getting both off the ground...

74512_10150107278303378_778378377_7580191_8032300_n by coastkid71, on Flickr

·
Dudette
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Mini! Still doing my research, but drooling! Love the idea of riding the bike during all the "between" seasons, too. I'm lucky enough to have a local Salsa dealer, so I'm going to have to have a chat with them and see if I can't find a way to take one out for a spin...at least if the get an xs in :). Yeah, the BFL sound like way more than I'd want to go with, so not so much worried about clearances for those. Like the components on the Muk 2 better than the 3 and the 2 has the drilled out rims. Hhhmmm. but those Fatbacks are a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm thinking that a 70 - 90mm rim with either two Husker dus, or say a nate/BFL combo. Could work for me all year. I ride muddy mountain trails outside of winter, as fast as my little legs will push me, on a SS 29er. I'm thinking the fatbike would be more of a off-road mile muncher. I'd love to have winter and non-winter tyres, but they are just too pricey.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.