Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nice parts!

I get the impression that a good number of people here have SS bikes that were "re-purposed" or rescued and therefore most likely old bikes (80s and 90s vintage) or entry-level newer bikes (early 2000) or entry-level vintage bikes of LBS quality. I've seen some nice older bikes with either modern components or better/newer components contemporaneous to the bike. A good example would be a 90s bike gussied up with XTR M951 components. I have to say too that there's something about an old bike with modern components. Anyway, I am piecing together parts for my SS project, a '96 Raleigh M50. Apparently it's an entry-level bike yet of LBS quality. Other than the headset, stem, and wheels, I'm throwing some parts out and replacing others. Shifters and deraileurs are obviously going. The cantis are being replaced by Avid V-brakes w/ FR-5 levers from my parts bin. The flat bar is being replaced by another flat bar with a bigger sweep with new lock-on grips. I will be getting the Forte SS conversion kit. And the big-ticket item is the cranks. The old Shimano Alivio wasn't really able to swap over to SS easily. I may be getting a new crankset that might be worth more than the bike (then again, I got the bike free!), but still it's not an expensive $100+ crankset.

So who else does this to an old entry-level bike or a garage sale special? Show me pics!What determines that a bike gets the royal SS make-over vs a bike that gets the super cheap make-over (as in resuse almost everything possible)? Is it frame quality?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wv_bob (in my head I'm saying Volkswagon bob!): what kind of handlebar is on your bike? I was looking for something like that but I have a threaded headset with one of those stems that doesn't have a removeable faceplate for clamping the handlebar, so I couldn't get something that had any sort of sharp bends. I ended up ordering a Dimension ARC with 27-deg sweep. You stem looks like it doesn't have a separate handlebar faceplate, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, I wanna know how much money you guys threw in for your SS conversion. I got a free bike, but according to my calculations, I'll be throwing in about $128 in NECESSARY parts and about $30 in parts that I just want to replace! I do plan to offset the cost by selling my cheapo groupo from the bike. Make me feel better!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
That's a Misfit Fu-bar and you're right the stem does not have a removable face plate. I thought I would need one but it turned out I didn't

I don't have much $ in the conversion parts at all. Bought the tensioner used for about $10, a chainring for about $25, and a cog spacer kit for about $20. So all told, about $50. If you're counting brakes, then about another $50 there, maybe less. I drilled out the riveted chainrings and used the arms, so I saved some money there. I had the rest of the stuff already.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's mine its a 1990 rockhopper just finished a few weeks ago.
Nothing to special but Im pretty happy with it for now.

Forgot to tell bout the parts
surly CR &cog 60
brake levers & pads 25
chain - 15
CB 5050's got open box for 40
shimano bb 20
everything else is stock cept the paintjob. Got it powder coated for about hundred bucks

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts

This started as my first mountain bike, a 2005 Schwinn Mesa GSD ($289 at the LBS). Simplied as things started breaking.The only real upgrades are Black Spire chain ring and the fork, which I got from a buddy for $10.00 (replaced the Poplock cable for another $7.00). Changed the rear sprocket from when this picture was taken, so I am running it as 32-19 magic gear (was able to lose the tensioner).

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
598 Posts
I got the frame in 8th grade, at a garage sale, for $3 and my dad paid for it. (along with fork, headset, Biopace cranks,...). Its seen many builds, and a lot of mechanic adventures.
Current build highlights:
General Moonshadow Frame and fork
Nashbar sealed headset (filled steerer tube down to fit crown race!)
R crankarm - LX 94/54 5 arm w/Salsa 34t SS ring
L crankarm - Sugino that matched the R arm
Some Shimano Square Taper BB that spins great
XT V brakes, avid levers, salmon Kool Stop Mtb pads, XTR cables/housing
front wheel - DT/Hugi hub, laced with 28 Wheelsmith spokes 2 cross to a double wall Matrix Swami rim
rear wheel - DMR Revolver hub, laced 32 3x to a Bontrager Mustang rim with half black 14g DT spokes and half 15g silver Wheelsmith spokes. wheels by me.
20t Singleworks cog
20t Tomicog
Ergon grips
homemade frame bag

(not a SS in that pic.... get over it)

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
598 Posts
Please explain the crank and foot rest setup!!
I got tendinitis or a muscle strain in my left calf in spring 2010 to the point I couldn't hike, run, or bike - even the rotational motion of biking irritated it (running a 50 mile trail race might have been a factor). Then I worked up a rig to pedal with just my right leg - not that great, but better then being immobilized. Its a 31.8 stem - the longer the better, with a steerer tube cut off an old fork, then a toe clip for the good leg. The tendinitis is improving and I've been riding like normal people since last November.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.