Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fat Chance Shock-a-billy. This one is SBL013. If I remember correctly, there were 5 prototypes, 3 team bikes and 5 frames in the original production run. So I got the last one of the first group. I believe it was the only L (large) frame of the group.

Back in my bike shop days, the coolest employee’s bikes were the Fat’s. So when I could afford one, I got a first generation shock-a-billy. It had the Amp B-2 rear end and was scary from a durability and flexi-ness standpoint. Then I saw this design at Interbike at Fat City’s booth (at Anaheim in 96?) and ordered one immediately. I waited 10 months. It was my only real mountain bike for a long time. I “retired” it about 4 or 5 years ago when I purchased an Intense Tracer. At that time it became the backup bike. My stable of bikes now consists of two rigid 29ers, this bike, a Slim Chance road bike and a commuter.

I’ll keep this bike forever, even if I ride it twice a year. It has 4 or 5 hard years of riding and the rest of that time its been ridden rarely. I still have one full set of unused replacement parts for the suspension and I have a spare rear shock. In it’s life I have only replaced the suspension bushings and pivots once. Otherwise, it has had an annual rebuild.

Currently set up as follows:
· King wheels to 32hole ceramic 217 front and 36hole non-ceramic 517 rear. I wish I could find another 36hole ceramic 217.
· Manitou X-vert super fork running full travel. Yeah, the bike was built for 75mm front travel but I run a boat load of sag so it sort of works out. The bike was first built with a JudySL painted to match. I have the fork. I’ve also run a White Bros. SC90 on the bike.
· Ritchey crank on XT 122.5bb and 737 peds. 46-34-24 rings.
· XTR rear der and XT front der with XT thumbs.
· 12-32 8spd XTR first-gen cassette.
· King Headset.
· Ritchey stem and Titec bar with IMBA grips. This is my second stem and fourth bar on the bike.
· Ti Syncros post 29.4 with Flite saddle.
· Second-gen XT V-brake rear and Grafton front brake with Pauls levers (one long pull and the other for cantis.)

I’ve always wondered how many other Shock-a-billy frames there are in the world. Last time I talked to anyone at Fat City, which was probably late 97 or early 98 I remember hearing that there was maybe 60 or 70 frames built. So where are they? I’ve never seen one in person except for the one I sold while working at a shop, the ones at the show at Interbike and a demo we had at the store.

So post yours if you get the Chance.

Attachments

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
better

it seems to "sprint" and climb better then ever. feels nice and smooth already tho. it probably has less travel than the original fox but the fox is gone. the spv thingy is kinda neat. haven't messed with it much but...

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
I saw one

Yours is only the second I have ever seen. I saw a green one on Ebay a few months back. It was in England and went for around $700 frame only. The person who listed it said that 250 of that particular design were made. Thanks for sharing. How much did that frame cost "back in the day?"

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a lot

kuna said:
Yours is only the second I have ever seen.
my cost was shop cost which was around 1600. some of that was an upcharge for the paint as it was not a stock scheme. and i had my JudySL painted to match at the same time for which i was charged something. i still have the paperwork.

it is not a somerville made frame. probably actually less valuable then the original s'billy even tho the original design was only 1/2 a Fat. i know there are more of those.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Mmmmmmm....

nice pics mw -- for the record, i've only seen two other 'bills of that design around (other than yours and our cw demo bike), and both were in colorado. one was the old fat lavender color, and the other was a green/black one similar to the cw demo bike.

yours is probably the cleanest example of the breed in existance... unless someone has an un-ridden one! congrats! i count myself as one of the lucky few that has ridden that beautiful piece of work. :-}

cheers,
mg

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
the 1 that sold in the UK recently was my mates Yo grants.. that I helped him find ;D
yeh only 200m ade of the later all steel built billys. Chris was far from happy with the inherent flex & poor alignment of the earlier AMP back end billys, hence the later all steel billy. Webby in the UK also has another all steel billy.

I think the rarest billy made must be ricks with the action tec fork in lavender :D

nice rig :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.