Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
I got my 40 in this weekend so I'll procrastinate a little longer before I wade through the 60-odd emails from Friday evening to Monday morning...I know it's not just me, but damn, it can be very fine line balancing how much time I spend in the office answering questions & taking orders for the stuff we make vs. actually making & shipping the stuff. I really need to hire a manager. :)

Pictures:

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,101 Posts

Updates by VertigoCycles, on Flickr

I got a set of the new XTR brakes quite a while ago and have held off on installation because my bike doesn't play well with the new setup. Rather than splice together a cumbersome assembly of banjo connectors with the new brake, I decided to make my own, from leftover ti bits.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
The most stupid, complex seat tube I've ever done.

Fortunately, it's only a hobby, or I'd go broke if I tried doing this for a living.

The chainstay yoke pieces I'm working on are equally stupid in the amount of time I've spent on them - and the time spent will never show.

Attachments

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,101 Posts
NICE! how much of a pain in the *** was that to do?

I'm guessing you had to use Ti tubing? Will that corrode from the brake fluid?
it actually wasn't terribly bad. I've been thinking about it on and off for a few months while I've waited to squeeze it in to my schedule and everything worked out as I had planned. The most sensitive part of the whole ordeal was welding the 1/8" tube to the fittings, keeping it cool enough not to take out a corner, hot enough to fuse properly and prevent leaks at the weld...while my mask and in-hood magnifier were fogging up.

It's ti. That tube is leftover from the internal routing project on the bike and it happened to be about 1mm too longer than what I needed. It could be made out of almost anything though, the brakes run mineral oil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
it actually wasn't terribly bad. I've been thinking about it on and off for a few months while I've waited to squeeze it in to my schedule and everything worked out as I had planned. The most sensitive part of the whole ordeal was welding the 1/8" tube to the fittings, keeping it cool enough not to take out a corner, hot enough to fuse properly and prevent leaks at the weld...while my mask and in-hood magnifier were fogging up.

It's ti. That tube is leftover from the internal routing project on the bike and it happened to be about 1mm too longer than what I needed. It could be made out of almost anything though, the brakes run mineral oil.
Super nice finished product Sean. I'll be in Portland for 4weeks starting next Sunday, so if you are going on any rides and have a loaner, I'd love to join and see some of the trails (or roads). I will be without car.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,101 Posts
Super nice finished product Sean. I'll be in Portland for 4weeks starting next Sunday, so if you are going on any rides and have a loaner, I'd love to join and see some of the trails (or roads). I will be without car.
I wish I could show you around but between my kid and my business, I barely ride bikes anymore. Too bad you're not coming until Sunday. I'd say find a MTB and hitch a ride over to the dry side for Barbie Camp.

Shoot me an email while you're here. At the very least I can get you pointed in the right direction for beer and food.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.