Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to thank all of the Mendocino Coast Cyclists for their hard work creating, maintaining, and sharing some amazing trails on the North Coast.

I spent Saturday riding the trails between Fort Bragg and Mendocino. I had the amazing luck to hook up with a local who gave me a 6 hour tour of the area. We could have ridden for twice that long and still not seen it all.

The quality, number, and diversity of trails is blow-mind, and the scenery is spectacular. Where else can you ride through the stump of an old growth redwood, bomb fern lined singletrack, and ride all day to your hearts content in the shade? It's similar to Nisense Marks and the Demo Forest 15 years ago (think: West Ridge), but WAY bigger.

Highly recommended destination to check out and well worth the drive. They are putting on the Mendo Fat Tire Festival in October. I plan to be there to do the mountain metric century.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
You scored. My thanks go to all the hard work MCC has done over the years building great trails for all of us. I'm surprised that area isn't more popular. I also plan be at the Fat Tire Festival plus the bike race typically held over Labor Day Weekend. Funny, I met up and rode with Jesse on Friday. It really helps having a guide. Dang he can ride good and is a great ambassador for that area.

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Looks awesome, got to get up there this year

·
Coastal Rider
197 Posts
Glad you like our trails!

Jessie and the Mendocino Coast Cyclists have enjoyed building and riding trails in Jackson Demonstration State Forest. The Fat Tire Fest October 7-9th will be a great way to experience riding on the Mendocino Coast! Sunday's Mountain Metric will cover a lot of the trails and be truly epic. Shorter guided rides will also be set up for the mere mortals. The idea is to have fun rides for everyone!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chris Clutton said:

Jessie and the Mendocino Coast Cyclists have enjoyed building and riding trails in Jackson Demonstration State Forest. The Fat Tire Fest October 7-9th will be a great way to experience riding on the Mendocino Coast! Sunday's Mountain Metric will cover a lot of the trails and be truly epic. Shorter guided rides will also be set up for the mere mortals. The idea is to have fun rides for everyone!
Is there a map of the trail system?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Big Numbers and they are true

The mountain metric does climb 11000 and JDSF is the largest Demo at 50000! MCC is ready share and is it so nice today wish you were here.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And that 50,000 acres does not include the adjacent lands (such as Mendo Woodlands, Jugg Handle, Big River, etc) that one can connect to via Jackson SF.

Regarding maps, as others have said, the best option to date is to ride with a local and/or go on some of the organized rides with MCC. However, I have heard that there are some folks out there riding with GPS, so in theory there might be some data available that can be shared?

·
menace to myself & others
370 Posts
I'd like to second (or is it third or fourth now?) both the awesomeness of the Mendocino trails and the incredible welcome the MCC folks give out-of-towners.

We did a Sheila Moon team event up there in January, and they put together some great rides for us, even splitting the group into three ability levels, so that everyone could ride at a comfortable pace and still challenge themselves. It was a great experience, and highly recommended. Plus, you get to ride through the middle of a tree, and how cool is that?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
An Invitation to ride the Mendocino Coastal Trails!

I want to thank PlantDude for his great assessment of the trails he rode recently in the Mendocino coastal area. I did have the opportunity to meet you while we were putting the finishing touches on the newest trail in our system- Widow Maker. By the way, the bridge is done!
As an active member of the Mendocino Coast Cyclists (MCC), I would like to extend an invitation to anyone who loves mountain bike riding through tall redwoods and lush fern lined single track, but, have only heard rumors. We have an extensive system of trails up here on the NOR-CAL coast. There are over 150+ miles of single and double track trails located throughout the 50,000 acres of The Jackson Demonstration State Forest. Mountain Bike Action magazine never bother to explore the riding possibilities which would have blown their minds. Shear ignorance, I guess, on their part! We still have a standing invitation to any dirt rag who thinks they're up to riding some great challenging rides. We are the gateway to some of the best riding on all of the West Coast.
A Trail guide book is in the works! I'm currently writing a comprehensive trail guide book with rides from 5.7 miles in length (Easy-Beginner, Family) with mostly longer rides of 12 to 30 miles (Intermediate to Expert hammerheadgonzoknarly) incorporating in monster climbs and flowing downhills. Originally, all rides were developed with a GPS. The guide book will have a minimum of 20 trail rides. Bring a cyclometer or GPS. The JackaRoo Map & Guide book which will hopefully be available by the time our Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival happens October 7-9th 2011. We offer guiding just because we love to ride. Our group rides are every AM (Barnestormers) &PM (NiteHawks) on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - year round.
Our first guest ride group - Shelia Moon Racing brought up 30 CX racers for an enjoyable weekend of hot riding and cold beer. They left with big grins and hangovers.
The word is out: our trails are open to all those who are looking for fun and a responsible riding experience. Camping is available at three local State parks, several private campgrounds and the JDSF. There are many motels in the Greater Fort Bragg area. But, be aware, the Mendocino coast is a destination resort area especially in the summer. So, book early and stay long for great riding and food. Piaci Pizza is one of the best pie west of the Hudson River (that's in New York for the uneducated pizza lover). Their selection of 20oz micro brews will blow your taste buds away.
Come on up and ride! You aren't getting any younger! The secret is out...! We're open for the riding experience you've been waiting for...

·
Natty Dread
mountain rider
434 Posts
So cool of you guys to reach out like this. Lot's of folks build cool trails and like to keep them quiet. Thanks and I'm planning to get up there in the next 30 days.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If you're gonna ride Jackson- I strongly recommend camping there too. They have some amazing and secluded campsites, and best of all, they're totally free!

·
Registered
280 Posts
So need to get up there. Look forward to some pics & vids when I do :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haus Boss said:
If you're gonna ride Jackson- I strongly recommend camping there too. They have some amazing and secluded campsites, and best of all, they're totally free!
Specifics? Would love to know more about these campsites...

1 - 20 of 202 Posts