Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shoulder seperation update

I went to the doc., didn't seem to be healin' after 5 weeks of NO RIDIN'. A ridin' bud of mine is a radiologist @ the hors-pistol & he had a doc, (surgeon), that rides look @ the pics they took of my shoulder. Doc says "level 3 seperation of the clavical, possible AC &/or CC joint tear, possible rotator cuff damage". Thats all unofficial. It all still has to "go through channels" for my doc to tell me what they "officialy" found out & diagnos it & the course of action. The Doc that hooked me up @ the hors-pistol showed me aknot on his c-bone & told me the story about how he was supposed to be in his office working, but was out on his road bike & a car pulled out in ft of him & he went down break'n said c-cone. Had a hard time 'splain'in that one to the wife he says. Anyways I won't hear from my doc before Fri. or Mon. The feelin' I get concern'in my shoulder is that if it isn't bad enough to do surgery then I'll basically have to "get used to it". :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :( :( :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p ;)
 

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
hope you heal up good.
seperated shoulders are no fun at all. i did my right one on the trail about 8 monthes ago and its still giving me a little stiffness. get well soon
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank'ya...Thank'yaverymuch...

This knot is gonna be a'lil bigger than the one on my "other shoulder", but @ least I have a pr now. Messed up the other one 2 yr ago. Tryin to build symmetry. ;) If it's break'n an' heal'n I can deal, but if I start losin' any more body parts I'm gonna hafta draw th' line. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, just need to whine a lil bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
that really sucks, especially not really knowing whats going on. I've had really good luck with the rib; most of the pain was in the first week, but now day-to-day is pretty good. The area is still tender to the touch and i can sense the injury still, but i have say 90% mobility without noticible pain. I think alot of it has to also do with adapting my movements, every once and awhile i'll get a shocker from an unsuspecting motion.

i think i might go riding this weekend, although i might take a spin around the block first to see the comfort level of biking.

Good luck with your shoulder.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better baby that rib

zedro said:
that really sucks, especially not really knowing whats going on. I've had really good luck with the rib; most of the pain was in the first week, but now day-to-day is pretty good. The area is still tender to the touch and i can sense the injury still, but i have say 90% mobility without noticible pain. I think alot of it has to also do with adapting my movements, every once and awhile i'll get a shocker from an unsuspecting motion.

i think i might go riding this weekend, although i might take a spin around the block first to see the comfort level of biking.

Good luck with your shoulder.
There isn't a lot of muscle around your ribs = low blood flow = slow to heal. Even a small wreck w/ a semi-healed rib can set you bk weeks to a month longer. Been there, done that. I want to ride soo bad I can't stand it, so as a safety precaution, I tore down my arm & went through it so I couldn't get on th' bike & do much more than tool aroun' th' yard.
:rolleyes: Baby that rib you'll be glad you did later.
Anyone see that guy on TDF run off of the road & get thrown into that fence post? YIKES. :eek: You know his ribs are painin' sumthin' awful. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
I went to the doc., didn't seem to be healin' after 5 weeks of NO RIDIN'. A ridin' bud of mine is a radiologist @ the hors-pistol & he had a doc, (surgeon), that rides look @ the pics they took of my shoulder. Doc says "level 3 seperation of the clavical, possible AC &/or CC joint tear, possible rotator cuff damage". Thats all unofficial. It all still has to "go through channels" for my doc to tell me what they "officialy" found out & diagnos it & the course of action. The Doc that hooked me up @ the hors-pistol showed me aknot on his c-bone & told me the story about how he was supposed to be in his office working, but was out on his road bike & a car pulled out in ft of him & he went down break'n said c-cone. Had a hard time 'splain'in that one to the wife he says. Anyways I won't hear from my doc before Fri. or Mon. The feelin' I get concern'in my shoulder is that if it isn't bad enough to do surgery then I'll basically have to "get used to it". :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :( :( :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p ;)
Also had about the same injury 3 years ago. So far I have avoided surgery, and initially was doing physical therapy with the rubber bands. My class 3 separation was super painful for about 2 weeks. The broken ribs were a whole other story. I have no problems riding, but certainly wouldn't be able to play volleyball, tennis, golf,etc without aggrevating the past injury . Surgery would require shortening the clavical, drilling a hole in the end, tying through the AC joint, and tons of PT. I also had a tear in the rotator cuff, but this was a past injury from too much volleyball. It seems to be Ok for now too. I started riding about 5-6 weeks after injury. Did a lot of hiking and trail running to stay in shape. Good luck and give it some time before deciding on surgery.
 

·
MTB SOCAL
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Don't worry about the xray

Ebo said:
Also had about the same injury 3 years ago. So far I have avoided surgery, and initially was doing physical therapy with the rubber bands. My class 3 separation was super painful for about 2 weeks. The broken ribs were a whole other story. I have no problems riding, but certainly wouldn't be able to play volleyball, tennis, golf,etc without aggrevating the past injury . Surgery would require shortening the clavical, drilling a hole in the end, tying through the AC joint, and tons of PT. I also had a tear in the rotator cuff, but this was a past injury from too much volleyball. It seems to be Ok for now too. I started riding about 5-6 weeks after injury. Did a lot of hiking and trail running to stay in shape. Good luck and give it some time before deciding on surgery.
If you are talking about regular xray films of the shoulder, don't sweat it. A grade III AC sep will not change how it looks on xray, even years later. The main thing is how your shoulder feels in terms of pain, motion, and strength. Usually, you can't diagnose rotator cuff pathology on regular xrays - an MRI would be better. But, if it's only 5 weeks since your injury, I would focus on PT and regaining your strength and mobility. Once you have good motion and strength in the shoulder, you should be able to get back on the bike.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for th' insight Yangpei...

yangpei said:
If you are talking about regular xray films of the shoulder, don't sweat it. A grade III AC sep will not change how it looks on xray, even years later. The main thing is how your shoulder feels in terms of pain, motion, and strength. Usually, you can't diagnose rotator cuff pathology on regular xrays - an MRI would be better. But, if it's only 5 weeks since your injury, I would focus on PT and regaining your strength and mobility. Once you have good motion and strength in the shoulder, you should be able to get back on the bike.
I've got good mobility & range. There are positions that cause pain. The grinding of my c-bone against other parts is painfull. I hope to get the actual diagnosis & course of action tomorrow or Mon. My radiologist riding bud says he tore his AC 5yrs ago & he has had 5 yrs of pain, not constant, but its always there in certain positions. Just knowing what I'm in for helps a lot. Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
noone ever answers my question...

man w/ one hand said:
This knot is gonna be a'lil bigger than the one on my "other shoulder".
dude that is nasty...and i really hope u all the best man so u can gte all fixed up and ride...:D

so do u really have 2 arms...or have u just been messin around... :confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
BJ- said:
what so he really only has one arm...
Are you realy a retarded....

Via 1
BJ retarded................................................ :D

__________________________________________
GOOD LUCK TO YOU "MAN W/ONE HAND"....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
OMG...thats so sad...

but u still ride...dude thats awesome...man ur a sick nut...in full usage of the word man w/ one hand ur a sick nut...thats awesome...good for u...:D

and VIA...i believe its 1 for BJ and 0 for u...BJ didnt do anything and VIA still cracked it...:D

u silly bad tempered juanjo...

oh and i really hope ur shoulder fixes its self up so u dont have to have surgery...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
That sucks man. I feel ya! Im just starting to heal from a full left shoulder rebuild. I dislocated/separated it from the cup. I race snowmobiles and bike in the summer. I tried to hang on to my brandnew sled cause i didnt wanna roll it the 1st day lol. big mistake! i went 1 way, sled went the other, and i was still tryin to hang on! dislocated it, i hate hospitals and doctors so much, so i put it in myself with help from some friends. When i pulled it out, i tore all the ligs/tendons across the front. I stayed off for about a week, it sucks, no doctors, i kept riding and just screwd the pain, big mistake. It would pop out of socket by itself any time i pushed or pulled with my left arm. It got so bad that it would come outta socket in my sleep even if i rolled over. So i decided to go see a doc. After 6 months of putting it back in socket myself every time, i completely ruined my rotator cuff, shoulder socket and all the front ligs were gone. They cut me across the front and inside the armpit to resew it back in. There were no more ligs across the front, so they cut a piece of my chest muscle off, and strecthed it over my shoulder and stapled it into my arm. with 3 huge staples, and 1 screwd on bracket. Point is, if u mess something go to the doctors, cause my stubborn hide could have been fine, instead i didnt wanna go, and now i was in a sling for 6 weeks, well they said 6, i did 2 lol. it still bothers me, and now i cant move my arm/shoulder in alot of directions. I cant get my elbow above my shoulder now, and i cant reach my back. It still hurts, and now i may have to have it redone because the hardware is rubbing inside on the collar bone! Im not bragging, just do what they say, and if you even think your hurt, have it checked out. I have done a broken leg, both wrist, 1 elbow, shoulder, torn quad, torn miniscis, and i still act dumb. i wear alot more armor now, and i stretch before good rides. I still cant get up to my old speeds on the DH bike. it sucks beinmg hurt. I hope u feel better man, it does suck, i know what itt feels like being so frustrated u cant ride. i put in some over time and now i can find a new frame for 05! im still gonna race snowmobiles, just gonne be alittle smarter, parts can be bought, bodies never heal 100%
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for th' encouragement bighit

bighitboy said:
That sucks man. I feel ya! Im just starting to heal from a full left shoulder rebuild. I dislocated/separated it from the cup. I race snowmobiles and bike in the summer. I tried to hang on to my brandnew sled cause i didnt wanna roll it the 1st day lol. big mistake! i went 1 way, sled went the other, and i was still tryin to hang on! dislocated it, i hate hospitals and doctors so much, so i put it in myself with help from some friends. When i pulled it out, i tore all the ligs/tendons across the front. I stayed off for about a week, it sucks, no doctors, i kept riding and just screwd the pain, big mistake. It would pop out of socket by itself any time i pushed or pulled with my left arm. It got so bad that it would come outta socket in my sleep even if i rolled over. So i decided to go see a doc. After 6 months of putting it back in socket myself every time, i completely ruined my rotator cuff, shoulder socket and all the front ligs were gone. They cut me across the front and inside the armpit to resew it back in. There were no more ligs across the front, so they cut a piece of my chest muscle off, and strecthed it over my shoulder and stapled it into my arm. with 3 huge staples, and 1 screwd on bracket. Point is, if u mess something go to the doctors, cause my stubborn hide could have been fine, instead i didnt wanna go, and now i was in a sling for 6 weeks, well they said 6, i did 2 lol. it still bothers me, and now i cant move my arm/shoulder in alot of directions. I cant get my elbow above my shoulder now, and i cant reach my back. It still hurts, and now i may have to have it redone because the hardware is rubbing inside on the collar bone! Im not bragging, just do what they say, and if you even think your hurt, have it checked out. I have done a broken leg, both wrist, 1 elbow, shoulder, torn quad, torn miniscis, and i still act dumb. i wear alot more armor now, and i stretch before good rides. I still cant get up to my old speeds on the DH bike. it sucks beinmg hurt. I hope u feel better man, it does suck, i know what itt feels like being so frustrated u cant ride. i put in some over time and now i can find a new frame for 05! im still gonna race snowmobiles, just gonne be alittle smarter, parts can be bought, bodies never heal 100%
I think the reluctance to go to hospitals is "denial". We don't want to know or admit we're hurt. You know when you smack th' ground & you jump up right quick & jump back on your bike "trying to out run the pain" & you can't. I've learned now to take a sec. & assess any body damage, worry about the bike later when you've determined you are able to ride out of the woods. Injury & pain go w/this sport, it has to accepted, understood & delt with.
If you aren't dealin' w/your injuries now, you will later, as bighitboys testimony stated above. Think about what all of these extreme sports injuries are going to do to everyone in their/our old age, 40, 50, 60 & 70's. IF we're lucky, we'll still be able to XC on our weight-weenie bikes. Then we can talk trash about all of the "bogus technology" that will be out, & then we can exchange bikin' "war stories" & listen to the "grommets talk trash to us old guys". Then, if we can manage a coy lil' smile & think to ourselves, "kid you got no idea what I was capable of back in th' day", it will all be worth it. :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top