Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a pretty sketchy ride last night, sliding over some bumpy nasty ice - even on the rail trail. There's not enough snow to XC ski, and the riding is pretty marginal. It got me thinking - what do people do during shoulder seasons? For me, time on the trainer is NOT an answer, and I hate going to gyms. It's almost road riding season... What do you do for fun and exercise?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've been hitting spin classes this year with my wife once or twice a week. That has worked out really well, they are more interesting than the trainer and having someone else to go with prevents bailing in moments of lazyness. I actually really look forward to them.

I commute by bike pretty much daily giving me about 4-5 hours a week.

I've sat on the trainer a bit, but it always requires one of my favorite or a new movie, otherwise I'm off in 30 minutes.

I've returned to indoor rock climbing for the past 6 months after a couple years off. It's a blast and good for keeping the body fit. Been doing that a couple times a week. Only problem is that I've added muscle that is counter productive to cycling.

Finally, my ultimate favorite winter activity is squash. As a cross training activity for MTB, I can't imagine a better sport. The only problem is, Hamilton is not a squash hot bed, so finding competitive games at a high level is a challenge and I don't play nearly as much as I would like. When I was playing competitively 4-5 years ago, the MTB would go away in September and come out in May and I was always fastest in the spring.

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
I’ve been watching a lot of Netflix lately. :D

As for activities it all depends on the weather (and it has been pretty random)
-Sunday there was a few inches of fresh loose snow so we did hill repeats and sketchy downhill descents. One trail packed down so good we were riding summer speed. Very good for working on the handling skills
-I’m hoping to get in some longer road rides on the weekend but the weather keeps sucking for that.
-Run once in a while
-On weeknights I have a 30 loop around town using well lit streets with bike lanes.
-Last week I rode out in the dark and did a loop of the Niagara Classic course.
-Also, I like my rollers and going to the gym so…

It’s really about making the best of a crappy situation. If you don’t like indoor exercise you’re going to have to take some nights off.

- Oh and I'm headed to South Carolina in a few weeks.

·
9 lives
17,702 Posts
I am still able to squeeze a few rides on our local trails although the trails are soft in spots and the big hill climbs are a challenge.

I down hill ski once a week
I attend spin classes at the Y after work and if I have time I do some weight training
I practice Ashtanga Yoga at a studio several times a week

Daylight hours are longer so I will be able to ride after work without the lights

I can't wait for better weather to be able to ride more

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
We had a pretty sketchy ride last night, sliding over some bumpy nasty ice - even on the rail trail. There's not enough snow to XC ski, and the riding is pretty marginal. It got me thinking - what do people do during shoulder seasons? For me, time on the trainer is NOT an answer, and I hate going to gyms. It's almost road riding season... What do you do for fun and exercise?
Trainer only for me right now. Five days a week. Having a young family, the XC skiing isn't really an option being that we I have an hour or so in the car that's required to get to a destination that has decent trails and isn't effected as much by the southern Ontario weather swings. And I would prefer to be doing something that's going to benefit my cycling in the summer most. It's getting extremely difficult to be motivated now, but this has come more recently and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I lived closer to JoyRide!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Squeeze in as many rides as possible until the trails get soft.
Ride my mountain bike on the road if necessary.
Ride the trainer as much as is bearable...which is not much for me. 3 or 4 times per week, but only for 30 minutes per.
Also play hockey 3 times a week, but I am a goalie so its not exactly a cardio workout.
Weight train once or twice per week.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I do P90X and Insanity dvd workouts. I would highly recommend them for anyone that's looking to try something new or has been biking for years and is still 10-30 pounds out of shape. Women especially shouldn't just ride a bike. It's not good for your bones. You need to take care of your bones when you're young so you don't have problems when you're older.
If you're not a professional cyclist you should do as many different sports/exercises as possible. You'll get better results and be a more interesting person.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Spin classes, riding my cross bike whenever the temp is above -5 and there is no snow on the road, riding my mtb on the trails behind my house (not exciting - just exercise), chasing my 3 year old son around, and taking the dog on looooonnnnnggg walks.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
I've heard this before, but as far as I understand, these studies were done on professional road riders. I wonder if the same is true for mountain biking?
More then likely. The human body increases bone density as a response to weight bearing activity. Weights, running, and so on. Especially in women this is important as it decreases the chances of Osteoperosis. Though in the coming years with the way our society is about physical activity I expect the perecntage of the population that develops this to skyrocket.

I use the gym. Though I'm abnormal as I get it done in about 20 minutes. Because anything more is wasting time.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
Those stairs that go up / down the escarpment; climb / descend them 'till you can't stand.

You're welcome. :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
I've heard this before, but as far as I understand, these studies were done on professional road riders. I wonder if the same is true for mountain biking?
Absolutely. You sit on a seat and sweat away for hours. Mtn.biking is a bit more jarring (which is good) but it's still not enough to strengthen your bones. If you get paid to ride a bike go ahead but for the rest of us there's way more effective ways to get in shape and make your body stronger. I love biking, it's the most fun exercise for me but I think some people should try some other things.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
rkj__ said:
Those stairs that go up / down the escarpment; climb / descend them 'till you can't stand.

You're welcome. :)
You can even jump up stairs in your house. Jump two stairs or three stairs all the way up then walk back down. You can do all kinds of brutal workouts using just your bodyweight.
I don't know how much fun it would be but it's hard and good to switch things up.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What is this "shoulder season" you speak of?

I think I vaguely recall it from living back east.

Out here the biking is still good until November (little wet but that is what Gore-Tex is for) then it's full on powder skiing from mid November till May.

The really hard part is trying to decide between skiing in the sun in May or riding in the sun in May. Kinda sucks sometimes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.