Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Today was my first day back out on my favorite trail since I suffered a grade 5 AC separation back in January. My front wheel washed out and I went down towards my bad shoulder. I was able to shift my weight and get my left arm across so that I wouldn't hurt myself. So it got me thinking. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a product that would just protect my shoulder(s). All I've seen is full body armor and I don't really want to wear that around on XC trails. So if you know anything like what I'm talking about, throw up some links or just tell me what it is. Thanks in advanced and it's very much appreciated.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Good job! I had a grade 4 and that was pretty bad, but no cutting required. When I came back I use an EVS shoulder brace to immobilize my arm a bit. It took some of the sting out of the big bumps. I was more concerned with the constant impacts and jolts that a crash.

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WO8HKO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GRTGCK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PCTA4RCYEN6S5T4NQMF

It was alomst a full year until I stopped using the brace. I started with all of the extra straps and reduced as time went on. I think armour wouldn't really help a hung amount if you crashed. It may reduce the local impact, but a good shot to the shoulder or collarbone area would still be bad news!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Absolutely. 661 makes a gizmo (not armor, more of a brace) that works beautifully. Years and years in a C-1 pretty much ruined my left shoulder and I dislocate it all too often. I wear the 661 brace while riding after I've dislocated it. I've fallen with it on several times, it really works. It doesn't offer protection in the manner that armor does, rather it limits your range of motion. It's easy to adjust and get it just right for your particular injury. Only two complaints - it is a little hot, and it is quite difficult to put on and adjust by oneself (a little tough to take off as well).

Here's a link: http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=1ac89836-cd4e-4f10-b2b9-a77cde395644&product=66ad2d34-b63a-4cbc-a41b-c79e6dcf22ad

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and links guys. Those braces do look damn hot though haha. Well, I'd rather be hot than have to go through another surgery. Thanks again!

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
mwayne5 said:
Hey all,
Today was my first day back out on my favorite trail since I suffered a grade 5 AC separation back in January. My front wheel washed out and I went down towards my bad shoulder. I was able to shift my weight and get my left arm across so that I wouldn't hurt myself. So it got me thinking. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a product that would just protect my shoulder(s). All I've seen is full body armor and I don't really want to wear that around on XC trails. So if you know anything like what I'm talking about, throw up some links or just tell me what it is. Thanks in advanced and it's very much appreciated.
I think I understand what you mean. As an older rider, it takes a longer time for me to heal. I just want some protection from the initial impact to disperse the force over a larger area but cool enough to wear all day.

I've been kicking around the idea of an extra shoulder pockets sewn inside a jersey with a hard shell insert and velcro'd shut. The plastic piece could cut off from cheap or used elbow or knee guards. Possibly the inserts could be drilled with multiple small holes for more ventilation with minimal protection loss.

Seems like a idea that should work and I keep watching for someone to come out with it. My sewing skills suck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts