Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on beginners corner as well. But I think it is more appropriate here.

I just started riding bike and new to mountain biking. Went to a local bike shop, did the fitting and got a mountain bike (giant talon 27.5). During trial for 10-15 minutes (in a gravel), everything was fine. But after 2-3 hrs of riding in a beginners trail (really enjoyed, 7 miles!!), my shoulders/neck/deltoids are sore/aching. Is this normal? And its just that my shoulder are getting used to riding and would go away after a while.

Has anyone gone through the same?

Appreciate any info and how to tackle this.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
If it's just a muscle soreness/ache, then yes, it's pretty normal, especially for a beginner or someone who hasn't done much strength training. But if it continues for a while, then it's likely another issue. Give it a week or two. If you're still feeling that ache, then it's time to figure out what's wrong.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
If you haven't used those muscles in a long time, they will get sore. BUT, if you are reaching for your bars - that is, the angle of your arms to your body is much more than 90 degrees, you aren't helping yourself.

I know this is a roadie, but same idea.
imgH2FaB5.jpg

-F

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you are new to riding then it's completely normal.
It's also likely that you are keeping your arms and shoulder too rigid. They should be loose with your core (back and stomach) partially supporting your upper body. You can work on in it but it will also happen automatically if you ride enough.

On the other hand when you are doing a long bumpy/technical descent then most of us will feel it afterwards in shoulders and arms. As a matter of fact there are some descents that I as XC rider consider a good upper-body workout. Less so for really fit riders.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
keep riding

to bike efficiently means you need to hold your head up differently

do shoulder shrugs and some neck work at gym, or just ride more

and keep elbows bent !!! aim to never straight or stiff arm ride

1 - 5 of 5 Posts