Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ground hugger
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I grab my front brakes, and rock the front end, i can feel about a 1/2 cm wobble in the front end. The disc is fixed to the hub, the rotor is fixed to the caliper, I can't feel any play in the headset from the stem when lifted off the ground.

It feels like the shock is compressing. But if that is the case, why does it stop unless I exert more effort?

Is this normal?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mizunole said:
When I grab my front brakes, and rock the front end, i can feel about a 1/2 cm wobble in the front end. The disc is fixed to the hub, the rotor is fixed to the caliper, I can't feel any play in the headset from the stem when lifted off the ground.

It feels like the shock is compressing. But if that is the case, why does it stop unless I exert more effort?

Is this normal?
Put your hand around the top of your head tube when you rock your bike, around where the spacers make contact with the headset. You'll likely to feel play there better than anywhere. Also, take your wheel and move it side to side, while keeping the fork from turning. It is possible your hub is loose. Finally, put your hand around the top of the lowers of your fork, around where the stanchions go into them, it is possible you have a worn bushing.

_MK

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
5 mm movement sounds like you might have to tighten the headset a bit.

Part of the movement, in the front end is due to brake pads.

Another part may be the front axle, and hub even thought the brake holds the rotation it does not hold up and down or back and forth very good.

Another part is the open bath lubrication found in forks.
In use the lub gets thrown up into the sliders and seals, this will tighten up some of the fork movement.

I check the movement of the headset, at the bottom head set race, and I like it to have just about zero wiggle.

When I lock the front brake, and bounce the fork a few times, I'll get maybe 1-2mm inch of wiggle with every thing in good shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.