Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a relationship with the guys at my local bike shop through being a loyal customer and having them do the more advanced work on my bikes that I either don't have the tools for or may be a little inexperienced at, but lately I have been asking them for help on minor jobs, such as switching out a hub or cassette and I would love to pay for their services and rental of equipment, but they've been doing these things at no charge. I'm just curious, is tipping something that you guys do regularly with anyone who works on your bike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Beer is the way to go. Just stop in around closing time with enough for everyone or tip out your favorite on the side.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Tipping isn't anything I'd consider mandatory, but it is definitely appreciated and shows gratitude. Some beer or a bag of greasy hamburgers around lunch time works great, too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Yup, tasty beverages are the standard currency IME.

·
beater
5,934 Posts
My LBS has a beer money jar, so that's where the tip money goes whenever I want to say "thanks." That, or I bring some beer in myself. But the shop encourages people to hang out at the counter and have a beer, so that might not be relevant to your situation.

But in general, I'd say tipping hardly ever upsets someone. Tasty foodstuffs are as good as money. Sometimes when I drop my car off, I'll leave a dozen donuts on the seat.

·
ride more
2,626 Posts
Tipping works well, I feel it shows respect and gratitude. I have found that tipping also usually lowers prices eventually and gets your bike a little extra attention.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having worked in a shop, beer is the way to go.

The guy who goes to get your bike out of the back likely isnt the guy who worked on your bike (depending on the size of the shop). If you tip him, the money might not get to the guy getting his hands dirty.

Beer is easier to share than money.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My shop likes food, my other shop I use likes beer.

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Beer/Pizza/ETC as well as passing the info on good service around town!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As a shop guy myself, I don't expect tips at all. There are a handful of regulars who treat all the guys here well and occasionally bring us lunch or toss us a few bucks for working on their bikes. That sort of thing goes a long way when they have an upcoming race or event and need priority work or rush orders during the busy season.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
I usually tip when they fit me in when I know they're busy, but not for basic services. I'm waiting for my homebrew to finish up so I can slide some by there as a thanks. They're a very friendly shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alcohol might not be such a good idea if any of the guys/gals there have a drink-related problem or even choose not to drink?

A mixture of different baked goods is usually my choice as I know everyone gets hungry when wrenching, they're easy to share around and everyone is likely to find something they like. For specific work, I know that my usual mechanic has a liking for peanut cookies... ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would love to give the employees at my LBS some beer, but honestly, I'd feel awkward doing so. Like The BIG GT mentioned, what if someone there doesn't drink, or has a drinking problem?

To those of you who do tip in liquid form, do you consider yourself 'close' with the LBS employees, or did you just bring beer in one day?

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Beer made us close. ;)

You can always include a couple NA brews in the mix.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,030 Posts
That's a good point, might not hurt to ask them first before you bring in a 6 pack.
Definitely nice to tip in some form if they do small jobs for you free. Sounds like you have a great shop, always nice!

Alcohol might not be such a good idea if any of the guys/gals there have a drink-related problem or even choose not to drink?

A mixture of different baked goods is usually my choice as I know everyone gets hungry when wrenching, they're easy to share around and everyone is likely to find something they like. For specific work, I know that my usual mechanic has a liking for peanut cookies... ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts