Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should we respond to sexist posts on MTBR?

• Yes

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 38.5%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I used to ignore them, not wanting to give them even negative attention, or hoping a male poster might find it offensive. But that got old. I've had mixed results. The first time, I was able to incorporate humor, and got zero negative replies and zero negative feedback, one positive reply, and zero word from the o.s.p. (original sexist poster). The second time I did not incorporate humur, but kept it simple (not a lecture). The jury is still out, but so far one reply supporting the o.s.p.

Update: Ha! Anon neg rep received "Cry baby"

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm subscribed to this as I'm very curious - What's a "woman unfriendly" post ? (please give an example)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Call em out, no place on this board for demeaning sexist comments imo. Sorry for interloping, I'll leave now. ;)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Stuff like this (today)...
Wow, I need to get out of the WL more. That's pretty nauseating. What forums were those in?

We could make comments, and then they'd come here, and then the gals could stomp them with tampax posts.

But seriously? It could be worth pursuing just to keep all parts of the board welcoming to the whole mtb population. Females shouldn't have to stay here in order to not be subjected to male asshattery like that. I find the the little "report post" button pretty handy if I don't feel like making a statement. I think in the big picture, it comes down to what admin feels is acceptable. If admin thinks it's acceptable, all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. However if it isn't, but no one has said anything... that's different situation.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah, OK :eek:ut: Most definitely use that little "Report Post" button under the username, as I don't think that's something the Mods Would tolerate. Thought you were talking more along the lines of women can't.... and such type, not flat out childish vulgarity.

Stuff like this (today)...
It's the best when they sit in the middle of the trail, deepthroating their footlongers.
Originally Posted by epic View Post
At least most of their women look good in the official team uniforms. I love "Canadian Bacon".

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Just report 'em. Francis doesn't tolerate this stuff. Negative rep from multiple people will get them banned, too.

Reactions: gmcttr

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ugh, really? I only check out a couple of forums so I haven't seen that stuff.

I used to get all defensive on the dirt bike forums and I just never got anywhere. You're not going to change their minds. So sure I gave up, but I guess it was better than wasting my time arguing with morons.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Ugh, really? I only check out a couple of forums so I haven't seen that stuff.

I used to get all defensive on the dirt bike forums and I just never got anywhere. You're not going to change their minds. So sure I gave up, but I guess it was better than wasting my time arguing with morons.

You don't have to argue. Like Chuky said, if they know about it ( report post button) it's not tolerated here.
Mods don't read every single post in every single thread in every single forum. Many times, unless someone brings something to their attention, it may go unnoticed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a long time lurker, & this is my first post.

I run a forum for a different group of enthusiasts, but it's similar in size & activity. The mods not only don't have time to read every post, they likely have very little time to read many at all. It's up to the community in places like this to report things like this. Sure they'll remove it if they see it, but the likelihood is very high that they won't. Just report it & move along. Guys that like to get down in the mud & take shots like that aren't worth getting down in the mud with. Kind of like the old saying that even if you win a p!ssing contest, you're still covered in urine. It's sooooooo not worth your time.

·
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess this is my personality coming out, but I'm more inclined to confront a bully than report them (good there is that option though). Neither approach is necessarily successful on any given individual, but I hold out some hope that the community improves over time when people are willing to speak out against bad stuff. Maybe someone else will reconsider posting something similarly offensive. Or maybe they will just think I am a b****h with no sense of humor, but I can live with that.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
For me, it just has to do with patience. Jerks are boring, I would rather sift them out. I run a couple of online communities (50K + participants) and have found that some folks just really want to be angry and mean. Trying to stop it is a waste of my brain space and just gives them the attention they are craving.

·
rather be riding
37 Posts
For those that feel it's a waste of time/not worth it to report it/respond to it, that is your choice. I do think the minimal effort required to simply hit the 'report post' -- whether or not it gets taken down, is worthwhile and will could result in more moderation of sexist commentary -- if enough people do this simple thing.

Though I understand it's not healthy to let such comments get to me, I do feel a need to be somewhat proactive when it comes to sexism, here or anywhere. Otherwise we are complicit and essentially saying that disrespecting women is normal and acceptable.

·
Administrator
10,966 Posts
yes and report them when you do see them.

same with threads where the poster uses gay to describe something or calls someone a phaggot. No tolerance for bigoted responses no matter the vein. Hate is hate no matter how you paint it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts